U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2007, 09:37 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,902,786 times
Reputation: 660

Advertisements

If St. Louis had just one more north-south interstate we'd be the perfect city for transportation anywhere. We are just lacking that one final corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2007, 09:41 PM
 
Location: IN
20,846 posts, read 35,942,861 times
Reputation: 13287
Post Interstate 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I suppose you've got a point there. I guess it sort of leads to me to wonder some stuff about Illinois. In the STL metro area off Interstates 55 and 70 (they merge together leaving downtown St. Louis and split about 20 miles northeast of downtown. Along mile 6 you encounter this lake called Horseshoe Lake....I'm not sure whether that lake is manmade or not. Certainly seems like it may have been a product of the Mississippi flooding or something? there are several brand new lakes around Alton where the Mississippi overflowed but i wouldn't consider those naturally made lakes...i guess....i dunno. I agree Missouri isn't the best state for lakes. Rivers however is a much different story We've got the two best in the U.S., Missouri and the Mississippi. I was actually going to ask about something...southeast of St. Louis on Interstate 64 and Highway 50 in Illinois west of Scott-Air Force base...there lies a lake that seems to be submerging a forest....I can't put my finger on it...I'll have to take another drive out there. Also, Is Sangchris Lake, (in Springfield, Illinois) manmade? It certainly reminded me of the Lake of the Ozarks looking at it. Indiana and Ohio other than the Great Lakes from what I gather are not great states for LAkes either unless you're on their Northern borders with the lakes....in any case....yea...Missouri...not the best state in the Midwest for lakes. Minnesota isn't called the state of 10,000 lakes for nothing Yea...KC has it lucky. The Avenue of the Saints normally has a speed limit of 60 going up there but the traffic lights add on another 20 minutes to the route and it's not always two lanes in each direction. So instead if I want to get to Minnesota the quickest way is to take I-55 North to Bloomington and then take I-39 North to where it merges with I-90 and I-94 and then ultimately wind up taking I-94 west to Minneapolis. it's a good 100 miles out of the way I think and I'm less than thrilled to have to encounter CHicago traffic on the way...St. Louis gets bad enough traffic. Chicago is a nightmare.
Yes, from what you are describing it seems like getting to Minnesota and Wisconsin directly is not too easy. I am not familar with The Avenue of the Saints. Is this road an interstate highway and does it have a number?
The advantage that I like about Interstate 35 is that you can quickly go north or south in latitude at a fairly high rate of speed. For example, it only takes around 5 hours to get from eastern Kansas to the Minnesota border using I-35 according to mapquest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2007, 10:04 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,902,786 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Yes, from what you are describing it seems like getting to Minnesota and Wisconsin directly is not too easy. I am not familar with The Avenue of the Saints. Is this road an interstate highway and does it have a number?
The advantage that I like about Interstate 35 is that you can quickly go north or south in latitude at a fairly high rate of speed. For example, it only takes around 5 hours to get from eastern Kansas to the Minnesota border using I-35 according to mapquest.

Plains, here is a whole article on the avenue of the Saints and the ambitions for it. If you ask me it is a corridor St. Louis badly needs and traffic more than warrants demand for it. It provides an efficient route to Minneapolis/St. Paul while avoiding Chicago well to the west. Click on this link. it tells you the most up-to-date info on the work being done to it and all you need to know about what the route follows. Type this web address in and let me know what you think of the grand ambition for "Avenue of the Saints."

http://www.aaroads.com/high-priority/corr02.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2007, 10:30 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,902,786 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Yes, from what you are describing it seems like getting to Minnesota and Wisconsin directly is not too easy. I am not familar with The Avenue of the Saints. Is this road an interstate highway and does it have a number?
The advantage that I like about Interstate 35 is that you can quickly go north or south in latitude at a fairly high rate of speed. For example, it only takes around 5 hours to get from eastern Kansas to the Minnesota border using I-35 according to mapquest.
Well that and you don't have to worry about Chicago-sized volumes of traffic, you're guaranteed two lanes going in each direction the whole way, NO traffic lights the whole way since it is an interstate highway, and Iowa and Minnesota I thought tend to be more generous with the speed limits and allow for 70 mph? I know Missouri allows for 70 mph on its interstates outside of the cities. The Midwestern states east of the Mississippi with the exception of Indiana, which also allows a 70 mph speed limit, have a maximum speed limit of 65 mph on their interstates which doesn't exactly speed things up either. Who ever heard of 70 mph in the country on an interstate being too fast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2007, 10:41 PM
 
Location: IN
20,846 posts, read 35,942,861 times
Reputation: 13287
Post Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Plains, here is a whole article on the avenue of the Saints and the ambitions for it. If you ask me it is a corridor St. Louis badly needs and traffic more than warrants demand for it. It provides an efficient route to Minneapolis/St. Paul while avoiding Chicago well to the west. Click on this link. it tells you the most up-to-date info on the work being done to it and all you need to know about what the route follows. Type this web address in and let me know what you think of the grand ambition for "Avenue of the Saints."

http://www.aaroads.com/high-priority/corr02.html
Well, if it is an efficient road and links important large metros together than I have no problem with it. However, will Missouri raise gas taxes to pay for the construction of this route? It seems to me like Missouri has some of the worst roads in the country, but also has some of the lowest taxes on gasoline compared with most other states. Linking a road from St. Louis up to St. Paul would be a good idea considering the Mississippi River serves as a good natural barrier.
New highways have to have a VERY good reason to be built, especially if they cover large distances. The KC metro went on a higway building spree back in the 60s and 70s and now their is a massive infrastructure and overhaul being undertaken presently on many of the highways. The city should have seen this coming considering that KC has one of the highest number of total highway lane miles per person compared with any city in the country. Their are literally highways running right on top of MANY neighborhoods. Now, they are constructing even more sound wall barriers near the affected areas where their are 6-8 lane highways passing through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2007, 10:54 PM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,902,786 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Well, if it is an efficient road and links important large metros together than I have no problem with it. However, will Missouri raise gas taxes to pay for the construction of this route? It seems to me like Missouri has some of the worst roads in the country, but also has some of the lowest taxes on gasoline compared with most other states. Linking a road from St. Louis up to St. Paul would be a good idea considering the Mississippi River serves as a good natural barrier.
New highways have to have a VERY good reason to be built, especially if they cover large distances. The KC metro went on a higway building spree back in the 60s and 70s and now their is a massive infrastructure and overhaul being undertaken presently on many of the highways. The city should have seen this coming considering that KC has one of the highest number of total highway lane miles per person compared with any city in the country. Their are literally highways running right on top of MANY neighborhoods. Now, they are constructing even more sound wall barriers near the affected areas where their are 6-8 lane highways passing through.

That is definitely true. Missouri is already having enough trouble figuring out an efficient way to widen Interstate 70 across the state to three lanes on each side, which is badly needed. Toll roads might be one way to raise the money for the new highway. However with the need to expand I-70 to three lanes each way across the state as well as upgrade U.S. 36 to interstate standards all the way across Missouri to Saint Joseph, so it can be supplanted by I-72, I think Missouri needs to get its priorities in order right now. Clearly all three of these are major issues which need to be addressed and dealt with. The Avenue of the Saints is too good of a deal to be passed and I'm pretty sure Missouri, Iowa, and Minnesota know it. The problem is Missouri's got its hands tied with other interstate construction phases at the same time and the three things needing to be dealt with here, on top of the rebuilding of I-64 throughout St. Louis County, just requires more money than I think the state has. Toll roads may be the best solution I think in the long run. Not to mention, I-70 is being moved north of downtown to cross the Mississippi just to the north of the Edward Jones Dome, and a new bridge over the Mississippi will have to be built. There's just so much funds in the interstate system in Missouri, plus you've got to consider that Interstate 49 is going to be extended from SHreveport Louisiana to Kansas City too. Missouri I'd have to argue may be among the most active states in the U.S. for changing the way it's interstate networks operate. We've got work to do to say the least and IMO it must all get done! Temporary tolls seem to be the best way to do it because clearly I think it's a lot to ask of any state to be able to come up with taxes to pay for all this. It seems to me that the Avenue of the Saints has a very clear purpose and good reason to be built. It provides a quick easy link between St. Louis and St. Paul and also gives St. Louis easy access to much of Iowa. it essentially would give us our own "I-35" so-to-speak, and perhaps even allow for the completion of a corridor running the entire length of the Mississippi. The Missouri River has interstate highways paralleling it through its whole length. That job is half-done with the Mississippi. I-55 follows the entire lower half of the Mississippi. Now the upper half needs a component running alongside it too. Since both these rivers were historic and invaluable to commerce, I think it's only proper that we have major interstate highways paralleling those same commercial routes. Personally I think St. Louis needs more of a direct access to its neighbors due north of it (Iowa and Minnesota). It's already got direct access to the states due south of it...it seems only proper that the ones due north get treated accordingly. i also forgot to mention Plains that work is already been done to improve the Avenue of the Saints to two lanes going each way and pretty much put at interstate standards. When I travelled it last summer, bulldozers were hard at work in both Iowa and Missouri. Important pieces of the route are being put into place already and many are already there. It's just a matter of whether the road will be made into a complete interstate, which, at this rate, I think might as well be since it's already a pretty efficient way to travel. It could be made more efficient with minor changes. THe plan would be to have this route somehow intersect I-35 in North Central Iowa and then I-35 would complete the Avenue of the Saints north to St. Paul. This honestly makes more sense of a route then having to go through Illinois and Wisconsin to get to Minnesota. It is much more of a natural route and certainly not as costly to construct because it wouldn't cross the river. There is much more we could do with the interstate highway system as a whole in the United STates I think...there is still much of it left to be built.

Last edited by ajf131; 05-23-2007 at 11:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2007, 06:26 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 19,950,499 times
Reputation: 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
It is also an often-forgotten fact that Springfield, Illinois is one of America's favorite vacation spots at least from what I was told. Sangchris Lake looks beautiful and I guess just the whole getting to see Lincoln's stuff as a treat in its own. Being from St. Louis, which is very close to Springfield, i make many trips up there for vacations whenever I can. Just a mere hour and 10 minute trip to the north! more like a field trip than vacation for me anyway. Also, is it just me, or does every Midwestern state east of the Mississippi River besides Indiana, which has 70 mph, have a speed limit of 65 mph? Never understood why 70 mph is too fast for anyone....hehe. I like the Midwestern states with the higher speed limits cause I wanna go fast
My family and I stopped in Springfield and ate at Lambert's cafe. It was so much fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2007, 08:10 AM
 
Location: St. Louis, MO
3,742 posts, read 6,902,786 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
My family and I stopped in Springfield and ate at Lambert's cafe. It was so much fun!
Lambert's cafe is actually in Sikeston, Missouri I believe in the far Southeastern part of the state.That part of Missouri is actually more a part of the South than it is the midwest, that is a true Southern culture where Lambert's Cafe is, almost in the bootheel. Does Springfield, Missouri have one? Springfield is in the far deep southwestern part of the state along I-44. n any case, yes I love Lambert's cafe too myself. Problem is it's over 150 miles to the south of me. One of the only places in Missouri besides Cracker Barrel that you can find sweet tea. Sweet tea...haven't had it in soooo long Time for another trip down southbound I-55 soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2007, 08:15 AM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 10,767,418 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I second that Steve-O...stick to the main topic of this thread please people (in thread-starter) Thank you
Um, all I did was ask where Kentucky was. I didn't exactly fall off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2007, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 19,950,499 times
Reputation: 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Lambert's cafe is actually in Sikeston, Missouri I believe in the far Southeastern part of the state.That part of Missouri is actually more a part of the South than it is the midwest, that is a true Southern culture where Lambert's Cafe is, almost in the bootheel. Does Springfield, Missouri have one? Springfield is in the far deep southwestern part of the state along I-44. n any case, yes I love Lambert's cafe too myself. Problem is it's over 150 miles to the south of me. One of the only places in Missouri besides Cracker Barrel that you can find sweet tea. Sweet tea...haven't had it in soooo long Time for another trip down southbound I-55 soon
I thought it was in Springfield ILL? I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top