Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:58 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I thought it was in Springfield ILL? I could be wrong.
Lambert's Cafe is not in Springfield, Illinois, I don't think? I never saw any signage for it on either I-55 or I-72, and I have driven both to Springfield from both St. Louis and Hannibal. I know for a fact that it is on I-55 in the very far southeastern part of Missouri...it is located just west of I-55 on U.S. 62 where it meets I-55 in the far southeastern part of the state in Sikeston. Springfield, Illinois I don't think has other restaurant's with sweet tea unless it's Cracker Barrel you're talking about. Maybe there is another Lambert's Cafe. I've only been to the one you encounter in far southern Missouri just north of the bootheel. Now Southern Illinois around Carbondale does have sweet tea in restaurants other than Cracker Barrel. That much at least I know. If there is a LAmbert's Cafe in Springfield, Illinois that would be music to my ears. Did Lambert's Cafe up there have sweet tea if indeed one was up there? I'm sure you probably were not mistaken about it. That would mean instead of driving over 2 hours south on I-55 to get a LAmbert's Cafe I could just drive an hour north on I-55 instead. Much easier and barely venturing out of my own backyard if you ask me. Missymomof3, if you ask me the location of Sikeston might be a little better for you than for me. Kentucky may not have many interstates but I have noticed it has many freeway grade parkways. U.S. 60/62 should link you to Sikeston easily. I would imagine that is a good deal more convenient since Springfield is a good deal north and west of Louisville and no direct connecting route exists between them, plus you'd have to go through Indianapolis.

Last edited by ajf131; 05-24-2007 at 10:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 12:57 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
You're right it wasn't. Maybe it was the Bass Pro shop that we went to there I don't remember. That was years ago!

Old 05-24-2007, 06:16 PM

151 posts, read 739,636 times
I would say Michigan, because it has the Mackinac Island and I love that place.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:00 PM

66 posts, read 341,675 times
Michigan gets the rust belt rep because of Detroit but there are a lot of very nice towns like Charlevoix, Petoskey, Traverse City in the northern part of the state, to towns like Grand Haven, Fenton, Clarkston, and so many others in the lower part.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:28 PM

508 posts, read 1,512,499 times
I have driven through and stayed in Michigan many times. Hands down my winner followed by Minnesota.

Just wish the winters weren't so crappy.

Signed,

easydoesit (who left that area for central kentucky)

Old 05-24-2007, 11:38 PM

Definitely seems as though from what I'm gathering that many people seem to like the Upper Midwest better than the Lower Midwest. I guess generally the Upper Midwest does spell vacation a little better than the Lower Midwest....at least in the summer time. With the exception of Iowa, which I don't find particularly interesting since Des Moines is the best major city it has to offer, states like Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan seem to be highly favored over Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio by most here....have only seen a few people go for these....Michigan it appears is a place I need to check out. It is the only Midwestern state so far I haven't been to and frankly from all the cool things I'm hearing about it it's making me wonder, "Why on Earth haven't I been there yet?"

Old 05-25-2007, 08:05 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
THe plan would be to have this route somehow intersect I-35 in North Central Iowa and then I-35 would complete the Avenue of the Saints north to St. Paul. This honestly makes more sense of a route then having to go through Illinois and Wisconsin to get to Minnesota. It is much more of a natural route and certainly not as costly to construct because it wouldn't cross the river. There is much more we could do with the interstate highway system as a whole in the United STates I think...there is still much of it left to be built.
I just traveled St. Paul-St. Louis last December. The northern part of the Avenue is pretty much done. From St Paul it follows I-35E to I-35 to US 18 in Iowa. Then continues on US 18 west to Charles City, IA, then south on US 218 to Cedar Falls. From there it follows I-380 to Iowa City, then continues on US 218 to Donnelson, IA. Just south, it branches onto IA 27, crosses the state line at St Francisville MO, where the road turns to MO 27, continues south to US 61 just south of Wayland.

This sounds complicated, but it functions as a single continuous highway with controlled access and no stoplights. I'm thinking the first stoplight we hit after leaving St Paul was somewhere near Hannibal, MO, which on US 61. The stretch between Riverside, IA and Donnelson was still 2 lane, but with little traffic, it didn't slow us down.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
I just traveled St. Paul-St. Louis last December. The northern part of the Avenue is pretty much done. From St Paul it follows I-35E to I-35 to US 18 in Iowa. Then continues on US 18 west to Charles City, IA, then south on US 218 to Cedar Falls. From there it follows I-380 to Iowa City, then continues on US 218 to Donnelson, IA. Just south, it branches onto IA 27, crosses the state line at St Francisville MO, where the road turns to MO 27, continues south to US 61 just south of Wayland.

This sounds complicated, but it functions as a single continuous highway with controlled access and no stoplights. I'm thinking the first stoplight we hit after leaving St Paul was somewhere near Hannibal, MO, which on US 61. The stretch between Riverside, IA and Donnelson was still 2 lane, but with little traffic, it didn't slow us down.
I guess it would just help if this corridor had a single route designation. Missouri still needs to get the Avenue completely up to grade as it sounds like does some of Iowa Once they have maybe this will be a true continuous freeway throughout the Midwest. If they did upgrade it to an interestate I'd be ecstatic.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:46 AM

5 posts, read 31,102 times
I grew up in NW Ohio and live in NE Indiana, and have visited all the states on the list except MN.

I have to vote for Michigan as my favorite. I love the Great Lakes, inland lakes, hills, woods, Lake Michigan coastal towns, Mackinac Island, the distinct beauty of each of the four seaons, and the outdoorsy mentality where people actually get outside and DO things, no matter what the season.

There is plenty of public land to enjoy, enough lakes that more than just the rich can afford to be on them, an outstanding State Park system, and a very dedicated Dept. of Natural Resources.

City-wise, Grand Rapids sparkles. So does Ann Arbor.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:47 AM

286 posts, read 1,587,064 times
Default A couple comments....

Quote:
Iowa and Minnesota I thought tend to be more generous with the speed limits and allow for 70 mph? I know Missouri allows for 70 mph on its interstates outside of the cities. The Midwestern states east of the Mississippi with the exception of Indiana, which also allows a 70 mph speed limit, have a maximum speed limit of 65 mph on their interstates which doesn't exactly speed things up either. Who ever heard of 70 mph in the country on an interstate being too fast?
You want fast? Come on up to Michigan... the highway speed limit is 70 statewide, but the natives treat it as the speed minimum....

Quote:
Definitely seems as though from what I'm gathering that many people seem to like the Upper Midwest better than the Lower Midwest. I guess generally the Upper Midwest does spell vacation a little better than the Lower Midwest....at least in the summer time. With the exception of Iowa, which I don't find particularly interesting since Des Moines is the best major city it has to offer, states like Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan seem to be highly favored over Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio by most here....have only seen a few people go for these....Michigan it appears is a place I need to check out. It is the only Midwestern state so far I haven't been to and frankly from all the cool things I'm hearing about it it's making me wonder, "Why on Earth haven't I been there yet?"
When you make it up this way, plan to spend some time...

The west coast is my personal favorite. Grand Haven and Holland are wonderful, but definitely check out Saugatuck while you're in the area... same coastal town feel without quite as many tourists. Ludington is great, Traverse City is nearly one of a kind. You could spend days traveling up the coast and not see it all. Sleeping Bear Dunes is breath taking. The area's history is typical with every coastal type area, but you can still feel the energy and souls of the past as you sit and imagine what life was once like.

The UP is as unique as it gets - unmatched, raw beauty you will not find anywhere else and a way of life just as unique. If the UP could be her own nation, she would be. Plenty of ghost towns if you like an adventure. Tons of views that you will not see anywhere else in the US. I have not spent as much time on the east side of the state, so I can't comment too much.

I am moving from MI soon. It is funny how you can plan and anticipate such a drastic change your whole life - I have been chomping at the bit for YEARS to leave this state.... only to realize in my final weeks what I will be leaving... Of course, I will be back to visit with family and such, but I have already made it a priority to see the sunset on Lake Michigan one last time before I pack up. I will miss the natural beauty that thrives around me, but I also know I'm ready for a new adventure.

... I personally haven't been to all the Midwestern states, only have traveled OH, IN, IL, IA .... but Michigan will remain my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.