U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:56 PM

401 posts, read 2,373,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Just checking in ... all of Ohio's major cities still suck.

I'm an urban and suburban oriented Midwesterner. If I wasn't, then midstate Illinois here would heaven, as opposed to tolerable.

Oh, and midstate Illinois is awesome, not. Ive never been to a more boring place in the country. Heck Iowa had alot more to see than parts of central and western Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 01:51 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,653,153 times
Fortunately, a lot of those boring lands are very important to the U.S., providing crops and meat.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:16 AM

20,005 posts, read 69,400,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Oh, and midstate Illinois is awesome, not. Ive never been to a more boring place in the country. Heck Iowa had alot more to see than parts of central and western Illinois.
Western Illinois is comprised of hills, bluffs, and the river. Not to mentions some very charming old towns and the like. Central IL is very boring for the most part, but places like Starved Rock State Park, Matthiessen State Park, Buffalo Rock State Park are in central Illinois and are very beautiful with limestone caves, sandstone canyons, waterfalls, etc. And the Peoria area is quite nice and also has some beautiful hills/bluffs.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:45 AM

6 posts, read 6,220 times
1. Minnesota, gorgeous lakes, natural, clean, almost Scandnavian
2. Ohio, incredible diversity of landscapes, East-meets-Midwest
3. Michigan, fantastic lakes, the dunes, islands, etc.
4. Wisconsin, gorgeous shorelines, tidy, neat, clean

On the flip-side:
A trip to Illinois makes Ohio feel like France.

What a disaster of a state--Illinois (beyond Chicago of course). Per a previous post 'Mid-State Illinois is Awesome'....seriously? NOT!
But after living there myself, IL Is basically a real no-place. Please don't waste the gas money for a road trip there unless you're going to Chicago.

Last edited by mtymty; 01-06-2011 at 11:57 AM..

Old 01-06-2011, 02:30 PM

4,265 posts, read 5,477,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtymty View Post
On the flip-side:
A trip to Illinois makes Ohio feel like France.
Totally disagree. In fact, I think there are people that would argue the situation should be reversed (myself included).

Old 01-06-2011, 02:53 PM

1,954 posts, read 4,504,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Totally disagree. In fact, I think there are people that would argue the situation should be reversed (myself included).
Having lived in both, I can tell you that Ohio is much more scenic than Illinois.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:13 PM

4,265 posts, read 5,477,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Having lived in both, I can tell you that Ohio is much more scenic than Illinois.
Having lived in IL and been to OH many, many times, I agree; however, relative "beauty" aside, I think IL is a much more desirable state to be in than OH.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:35 PM

1,954 posts, read 4,504,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Having lived in IL and been to OH many, many times, I agree; however, relative "beauty" aside, I think IL is a much more desirable state to be in than OH.
To each their own. For me the only thing that would make Illinois more desirable is living in downtown Chicago or close to it, which is in fact where I live. Other than that Illinois is pretty undesirable.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:37 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,408,826 times
The extreme north and south parts of IL are largely rolling and pretty... the central area (except along the rivers) is, yes, very flat and boring. But the awesomeness/gorgeousness of Chicago (arguably in the north part anyway, but still) more than makes up for that.

I like them all, dammit. I have a strong sentimental attachment to the BIG MO, though... it is just a seriously fun state. Two very cool, underrated cities (especially KC... as a foodie who isn't terribly fond of HUGE metro areas, KC has always been one of my favorite best-kept-secret sorts of places). Lots of interesting history. Beautiful, unique (I mean, the Ozark plateau is so old that it sports botanical relics from previous geological ages found no where else in NA) scenery, etc.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:11 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,448,737 times
Quote:
The extreme north and south parts of IL are largely rolling and pretty... the central area (except along the rivers) is, yes, very flat and boring. But the awesomeness/gorgeousness of Chicago (arguably in the north part anyway, but still) more than makes up for that.
I actually LIKE the flat parts of central Illinois. I think it's cool to be able to see for miles across the farmland. I personally find that landscape to be more interesting than forested lands, just because of the fact that trees obstruct the view.

But, then again, I grew up in a rural area, so I think I might have a greater appreciation for farm scenery. I know other people that like to drive through that part of Illinois too. But I think the "flat=boring" mindset is pretty common among people who are from urban areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or