Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which time period was better?
the 80's & 90's 274 70.26%
the 00's/now 116 29.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 06:52 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times

Advertisements

We were rich. We sold two houses, one in 2 days and one in 2 weeks. Now, we're working long hours to get by, and it took us over 3 years to sell our last house.
You figure out which is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 06:53 AM

8,038 posts, read 10,629,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Here's how I see it...

1950's
First signs: 1947
Full swing: 1953
Quintessential year: 1955
Beginning of the end: 1959
Last gasp: 1963
1960's
First signs: 1959
Full swing: 1964
Quintessential year: 1968
Beginning of the end: 1970
Last gasp: 1972
1970's
First signs: 1969
Full swing: 1973
Quintessential year: 1976
Beginning of the end: 1979
Last gasp: 1981
1980's
First signs: 1977
Full swing: 1982
Quintessential year: 1985
Beginning of the end: 1988
Last gasp: 1991
1990's
First signs: 1989
Full swing: 1992
Quintessential year: 1996
Beginning of the end: 1998
Last gasp: 2001
2000's
First signs: 1997
Full swing: 2001
Quintessential year: 2004
Beginning of the end: 2007
Last gasp: TBD
2010's
First signs: 2007
Full swing: TBD
Quintessential year: TBD
Beginning of the end: TBD
Last gasp: TBD
Key
First signs - The year in which the first cultural trends that would define the new decade appeared.

Full swing - The first year in which the culture had changed enough to have its own identity independent of the old decade.

Quintessential year - The year that seemed to be the most representative of the culture of its decade.

Beginning of the end - The first year in which the culture of the decade didn't seem as authentic as it used to.

Last gasp - The year in which the last cultural holdouts of the old decade disappeared.
This is excellent and well thought out.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:54 AM

8,038 posts, read 10,629,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake County IN View Post
You say that like it's a good thing.

I guess we should be grateful for the things that made Lady Gaga, Rihanna, and Katy Perry possible, right

Old 02-16-2014, 05:13 AM

495 posts, read 684,433 times
I loved the 80s and 90s. I will pick the 90s because you got the most bang for your buck compared to all three. You could road trip way cheaper in the 90s as gas stay about the same for two decades. Then it just shot up and stayed there after Katrina and that ruined everything along with the crash of 08.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:31 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,461 times
I'd say that the mid 80s all through most of the 90s was easily better.

People seemed more family oriented back then, the world was not full of overly sensitive political correctness. We were not afraid of the economic future, and the movies, shows, and even the music were pretty decent and often portrayed good values and lessons. Family Ties, Fresh Prince, Rugrats etc...

Today none of that is true. We have garbage like Jersey Shore, Miley Cyrus gone stripper wannabe, cookie cutter pop bands that are all auto tuned and sing mindless songs, a Government that continues to strip away Constitutional rights, and an uncertain economic future that is full of national debt that our children and children's children will pay off forever.

Maybe I'm just older now, but I often look back and wonder how the hell this happened. People don't care about values anymore. Especially the young adults, its all about having others take care of them and just doing anything they want.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:51 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,461 times
I don't see why people think that race relations are better now than they were back in the 80s and 90s, I would argue that its the opposite.

Back then no one paid attention to or cared if you were black, white, asian etc... It just wasn't an issue with most people. Today because of Political Correctness it's creating some tensions because it's pointing out that people are different ethnically, and making everybody so hypersensitive that they're all offended over everything.

Heck I would even argue that things were better for homosexuals back then too. Most people didn't care, it was their own business, it wasn't paraded around in front of everyone like it is today.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:43 AM

23,520 posts, read 24,000,129 times
80's/90's, I just graduated from the college in the 80's and jobs were abundant (3 offers from great companies) living in Southern California. Life was simple then: you worked 9-5, no cell phones/laptops to take work home with you, the population was smaller, people were less competitive, things were cheaper, etc

Old 02-16-2014, 08:52 AM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,852 times
Everyone saying the 80s and 90s were better is actually just saying their childhood was better than adulthood. 20 years from now, the kids of today will talk about how fun and carefree the 2010's were. It's been this way since the beginning of humanity.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:06 AM

1,466 posts, read 1,228,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
I'd say that the mid 80s all through most of the 90s was easily better.

People seemed more family oriented back then, the world was not full of overly sensitive political correctness. We were not afraid of the economic future, and the movies, shows, and even the music were pretty decent and often portrayed good values and lessons. Family Ties, Fresh Prince, Rugrats etc...

Today none of that is true. We have garbage like Jersey Shore, Miley Cyrus gone stripper wannabe, cookie cutter pop bands that are all auto tuned and sing mindless songs, a Government that continues to strip away Constitutional rights, and an uncertain economic future that is full of national debt that our children and children's children will pay off forever.

Maybe I'm just older now, but I often look back and wonder how the hell this happened. People don't care about values anymore. Especially the young adults, its all about having others take care of them and just doing anything they want.
You're looking purely at the superficial and political. You don't like the current political trend, and you miss Reaganomics and conservative Christians being in charge. That's fine. But when you look past things that don't really affect most people's lives, society isn't that different. The only thing that's drastically different is technology.

I don't know how old you are, but I'm guessing you have changed more than society has in the last 20 years. Again, purely a guess, but I bet you were a kid in the 80s/90s right? 20-something at the oldest?Well there was garbage on TV then, just like now, and there are good shows now, just like then. You don't like Jersey Shore or Miley Cyrus? Don't pay attention to them. I don't. The 80s and 90s were full of awful pop bands. Or at least I consider them awful. Plenty of people liked it though, just like plenty of people like the awful pop today. Just like there was good music then, there's good music now. Although you have to remember that music is subjective, and people from older generations considered your generation's music "mindless drivel." It's all cyclical.

Anyway, the point I'm making is that you were less cynical and political in the 80s. The world itself wasn't. A child today won't remember PC in the media or the polarization of politics when he/she looks back at 2014. He/she will think about playing in the backyard, watching cartoons, and not having a care in the world. And then complain about how "2014 was sooo much better than 2044."

Old 02-16-2014, 01:17 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,627 times
Quote:
I don't see why people think that race relations are better now than they were back in the 80s and 90s, I would argue that its the opposite.

Back then no one paid attention to or cared if you were black, white, asian etc... It just wasn't an issue with most people. Today because of Political Correctness it's creating some tensions because it's pointing out that people are different ethnically, and making everybody so hypersensitive that they're all offended over everything.
If you don't think that the 80s and 90s saw the institutionalization of political correctness to a similar (if not much worse) degree as you can see now, then, maybe due to your age or general lack of interest at the time, I don't imagine you were paying much attention. Identity politics and its shield of political correctness has been an ideological/political force since the early 70s at the latest. I would argue that it was in maximum overdrive by the mid-90s and didn't really become a true point of contention (or a subject of outright mockery across the political spectrum) until after the OJ Simpson verdict in 1995 (I can't really think of a more obvious turning point, but maybe we could argue that the Rodney King Riots was where the tide started turning).

I could agree, however and unfortunately, that some of our more ethnocentric characters have enjoyed a comeback of politically correct protections in recent years. I'll just leave it at that.

Quote:
Heck I would even argue that things were better for homosexuals back then too. Most people didn't care, it was their own business, it wasn't paraded around in front of everyone like it is today.
So wait, it was "better" when homosexuals were viewed, basically, as a fringe element with an essential unworthiness in terms of legal equality regarding their sexual practices and relationships?

The 80s and 90s weren't a fiery hole in the earth for homosexuals, don't get me wrong, but I must disagree with you here, Mr. Pirate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.