U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which time period was better?
the 80's & 90's 229 69.82%
the 00's/now 99 30.18%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 05:39 AM

2,851 posts, read 5,589,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel. View Post

The sad thing is, while 80s music in truth was just as good as 60s music, it was just different, I really think 00s music, and so far, 10s music as well, is simply not as good.
I'm afraid you're right. 90's music was cool but try comparing the top 40 charts from selected years and weeks in the 80's with corresponding years and weeks from the last decade. The difference in quality level is alarming. I know I'm biased in my taste but it's like you're comparing high quality crafted products someone really fussed over with cheap shoddy goods that someone hastily slapped together to try and make a quick buck.

Quote:
Plus, Gen Y actually appreciates and likes 80s music for the most part! It was more in the 90s that people hated on 80s music.
Yes I noticed 80's music receives a lot of love from much of the younger generations and even from some of the older. But back in the 80's it did have quite a few critics (many of them baby boomers) that argued in comparison to older music it was commercial fluff, had meaningless lyrics and relied too much on synthesizers and other electronics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 09:53 AM

2,109 posts, read 5,135,829 times
This is going to be more of a generational result because I'd say the target demographic that reads this site is probably in a similar age bracket thus many probably grew up in the 80's and 90's and therefore were not old enough to understand politics. I didn't pay attention to any of it up until I was out of college. Then you start to understand how the world works and get to see some of the negative aspects.

I didn't have a good time in high school or college. I hated alternative rock and the whole grunge thing that went along with it. That was very popular in the early 90's when I was in HS. I didn't like college either. I also didn't like the first few years I lived in California because I was broke. Now I make pretty good money so I'm actually sort of liking the last few years. I also like that the housing market keeps deflating because we rent and at some point we'll buy. So its a comforting feeling knowing that we can just wait things out.

But the bottom line is that nobody hardly ever views the time they live in as the "good days" in which they can refer back in hind site as "Good ole' Days" Truth be known- in 1955 the average American family owned a 700 sq foot home, had a single car, a single TV set, and a single phone. Yet the level of contentment was higher then than it is now. Perhaps its because those folks survived the depression and WW2 thus after being through hell, it was remarkable just to have a house and a fridge full of food.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:14 PM

6,932 posts, read 8,088,797 times
Come on.

It's better now than it was in the 80s and 90s. Inner cities were like or worse than third world countries.

Blacks are going to and finishing college more now than they did 20-30 years ago. There is more integration now than it was before. Medical procedures are way more effective now. People in poverty can gain access to cell phones. Back then, only the have nots had access to technology. The poor back then couldn't even afford a TV.

Look at how the South Bronx was back in the 70s and 80s when it was going through urban decay.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:45 AM

13,220 posts, read 17,957,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel. View Post
the true decades imo are:

'50s: 1947-'62
'60s: 1963-'70
'70s: 1971-'79
'80s: 1980-'90
'90s: 1991-'98
'00s: 1999-present
Here's how I see it...

1950's
First signs: 1947
Full swing: 1953
Quintessential year: 1955
Beginning of the end: 1959
Last gasp: 1963
1960's
First signs: 1959
Full swing: 1964
Quintessential year: 1968
Beginning of the end: 1970
Last gasp: 1972
1970's
First signs: 1969
Full swing: 1973
Quintessential year: 1976
Beginning of the end: 1979
Last gasp: 1981
1980's
First signs: 1977
Full swing: 1982
Quintessential year: 1985
Beginning of the end: 1988
Last gasp: 1991
1990's
First signs: 1989
Full swing: 1992
Quintessential year: 1996
Beginning of the end: 1998
Last gasp: 2001
2000's
First signs: 1997
Full swing: 2001
Quintessential year: 2004
Beginning of the end: 2007
Last gasp: TBD
2010's
First signs: 2007
Full swing: TBD
Quintessential year: TBD
Beginning of the end: TBD
Last gasp: TBD
Key
First signs - The year in which the first cultural trends that would define the new decade appeared.

Full swing - The first year in which the culture had changed enough to have its own identity independent of the old decade.

Quintessential year - The year that seemed to be the most representative of the culture of its decade.

Beginning of the end - The first year in which the culture of the decade didn't seem as authentic as it used to.

Last gasp - The year in which the last cultural holdouts of the old decade disappeared.

Last edited by Craziaskowboi; 05-24-2011 at 01:55 AM..

Old 05-24-2011, 09:46 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,346,585 times
In some ways, the 00's/now. But in most ways, the 80's & 90's.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:37 AM

274 posts, read 294,121 times
The ONLY thing better about today than in the 80s/early 90s is that technology is better, the internet, and hairstyles are much better.

Girls went with the straight hair in the 90s which is a much better look and guys cut their mullets. The mullet thing was overblown however imo. It wasn't like everyone or even most people had one back then the way people today think. People were in much better shape physically in the 80s though as people are MUCH MUCH fatter now. I don't think I could through the 80s at a better time having my K-12 years from 1980-1993. It was the perfect decade to grow up at that age. Too young to worry too much about the Cold War and by the time I was old enough to really pay attention Gorbatchev and Reagan were really starting to get along well. That time span was the golden age of MTV as well when actual music videos were played unlike the s### that has passed as MTV since. You had the fantastic current music of the 80s as well as classic rock stations that played the legendary music of the 60s thru the mid 70s as well. You had the best of both worlds musically. Movies were fantastic as well. You had all of Spielberg and Lucas trilogies and hit movies like the Star Wars series, Indiana Jones movies, Rambo movies, Die Hard, etc. You had comedies like Beverly Hills Cop, etc, etc, etc. Stand up comedy had a golden age in the 80s as well. You basically had the perfect combination of just enough technology. Just enough for all the quality video games and expanding cable TV but not too much like nowadays where everyone is lost in the technology and no one plays sports, rides a bike, or actually spends time outside together anymore and over half the population is over 30 pounds overweight. You had actual sitcoms and not the stupid, mindless "reality tv" garbage that rules the entertainment industry now.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:15 AM

9,427 posts, read 18,327,828 times
Well politics seem more polarizing today than they have at any point in my lifetime memory. They have become a feeble minded us against them pissing contest. I assume that may get worse before it gets better. I guess one thing to look forward to is hopefully the level of consciousness will rise above it and realize both sides can be wrong, and things tend to get better after calamities. This whole economic and political mess we're in now is completely psychological, and people and politicians would rather throw stones and point out the blame instead of coming together to and realize what's not working. No doubt the next generation is going to shake their heads at the stupidity of it all, but I guess that's how we evolve. I'm optimistic there are better days ahead, but we'll probably stumble on some more lows before then. I know one thing is for sure, reminiscing the good old days of the 1980’s or 1990’s won’t get us there and certainly is not a roadmap to the future.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:25 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,111,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
The ONLY thing better about today than in the 80s/early 90s is that technology is better, the internet, and hairstyles are much better.
Here's a couple of more things that are better today:

- Crime rate (in most places)
- Public transportation (in many cities)

Old 05-25-2011, 01:23 PM

2,109 posts, read 5,135,829 times
For some reason whenever I think of the 80's, I think of a number of distinct things.

1: MTV was actually about music and had music videos

2: The news was all about Gorbachov, the USSR and Regan.

3: Lastly, it was the decade of Japan and amazing Japanese cars and electronics. I recently picked up a HUGE boom box from the 80's for $5 at the flea market. Big heavy sucker. Anyway, there is a button for everything. It weighs a ton, and the level of quality is amazing. Seems like everything back then was made in Japan and whether it was a car, stereo, or TV it was going to be extremely well-made. These days those same things are all made in China and more the most part totally disposable.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:35 PM

1,520 posts, read 3,117,011 times
I just don't understand how anyone could think the quality of life was better in the 80's than now. I think this is just nostagia clouding one's mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.