U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which time period was better?
the 80's & 90's 229 69.82%
the 00's/now 99 30.18%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2011, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
2,331 posts, read 3,052,638 times
Reputation: 3918

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
One of the problems today is that this country USED TO BUILD THINGS AND IT DOESNT ANYMORE.
So many jobs used to come from manufacturing right here in the US and Im sure that put a large void in the economy.
US manufacturing output by value is as high as it has ever been. The main difference is that manufacturing doesn't employ large numbers of people anymore. US manufacturers don't do well in labor intensive sectors like textiles or consumer electronics but are very competitive at more complicated high value sectors like airplanes, electrical generation equipment, machine tools, medical equipment, etc. Most of the US manufacturing output is purchased by other businesses rather than by consumers so the public perception that American industry has collapsed exceedes the reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-28-2011, 12:23 AM
 
Location: The Bay and Maryland
1,362 posts, read 3,191,279 times
Reputation: 2148
Quote:
Not just job security, the music was happier, better quality. It was a time that in most places kids were carefree and could play outside. We felt safe as a nation and people.
For me, the 80's were the exact opposite. People used to get gunned down right outside of our front door every single month. But honestly, it wasn't that bad. My siblings and I had a happy and normal childhood.

Most people in my age group love 80's and early 90's nostalgia because it takes us back to a simpler and happier time when we didn't have any responsibilities, didn't have to work, etc. My generation of the millenials grew up in a boom but now we are living in a bust. Call it what you want but it is an economic depression for young people. Some estimates have stated that over 50% of millenials are under or unemployed. Teenagers can't get a job at McDonald's and gain work experience because most fast food restaurants only hire illegals and refuse to pay teenagers the higher minimum wage. Many of us that went to college are deep in debt and still can't find jobs. We are the last to be hired and the first to be fired. We compete for jobs with older more experienced workers, outsourced slave labor on the other side of the globe as well as millions of illegal immigrants who keep wages down. We work harder for much less if we do have jobs. It is currently a very hard time to be under 30 for most young people to say the least. All of the 80's/early 90's fashion, music, video games, TV shows and movies remind us of the good times.

I do agree with the OP that people have changed for worse because of the technology of the era we are living in. When I was a teenager in the late 90's and early 2000's, NO ONE had a cellphone. When you got a girl's number, it was her house number and you actually had to pick up the phone and call her at a reasonable time in the evening and carryout a real conversation. Nowadays, text messaging has effectively killed the romantic tension of hearing a crush's voice on the phone. This has given rise to the superficial and all too common "textual relationship". People also say things in text messages and e-mails that they would not have the balls to say in real life. Cohesively, Facebook and social networking sites is eroding the quality of friendships and all human social interactions. Facebook is causing people to prejudge one another on the shallow basis of what they see of each other on the computer. It has gotten to the point where people don't give each other a chance anymore and they just completely negatively prejudge people by the things they write on their Facebook profile, their friend count etc.

Last edited by JMT; 05-28-2011 at 02:51 AM.. Reason: Removed offensive language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2011, 06:55 PM
 
6,056 posts, read 10,839,435 times
Reputation: 3063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
It is so obvious that the 2000s/now is so much better than the 1980s, and 1990s and for many reasons!
I cant believe this was not a 80-90% landslide victory for the 2000s/now!
Some reasons why the 2000s to now is so much better than the 1980s and 1990s:

1. More technologically advanced.
Example 1:Computers and the internet barely even existed in the 1980s up to early to mid 1990s. It wasn't used by the majority of Americans until the Late 1990s/early 2000s.
Example 2: Cell phones and ipods started to be used much more from the early 2000s and later. Did they even exist before the mid to late 1990s?
Example 3: Some of the best websites in existence such as facebook, city-data and some other great websites were not even created until the early 2000s and later.
Example 4: Airplanes was not nearly as safe to travel in the 1980s and before as it was in the 2000s and later.

2. Better race relations and more racial integration

3. Better gender relations between both genders.

4. More equality for people that deserve equality

5. Better urban amenities of different types

6. Much lower crime rates for most places in the 2000s to now compared to how it was in the 1980s and 1990s.

7. USA had to worry about a nuclear war in the 1980s and the Cold war time period and from the 2000s to now it doesn't like the way it had to worry about it during the Cold War.

8. A higher percentage of people that are middle class and wealthy and less low income/poverty problems compared to how it was in the 1980s and 1990s.

9. The country became more progressive.

10. Much better, more varied and healthier food options.

11. More healthy lifestyle possibilities.

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 05-29-2011 at 07:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2011, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
16,133 posts, read 20,814,828 times
Reputation: 8293
I cleaned up in the inflation or the Reagan recession and I cleaned up and got out before the bubble burst. I was able to retire at 53 and never work another day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2011, 09:07 PM
 
Location: IN
20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Reputation: 13282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I cleaned up in the inflation or the Reagan recession and I cleaned up and got out before the bubble burst. I was able to retire at 53 and never work another day
Are you referring to stock market investments & real estate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2011, 09:12 PM
 
Location: IN
20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Reputation: 13282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
8. A higher percentage of people that are middle class and wealthy and less low income/poverty problems compared to how it was in the 1980s and 1990s.

.
National Poverty Center | University of Michigan

Not really. The percentage of the population living below poverty is the same now compared to the 1980s. In fact the percentage increased again last year (2010) to 15% based on the numbers I saw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2011, 09:16 PM
 
6,056 posts, read 10,839,435 times
Reputation: 3063
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
National Poverty Center | University of Michigan

Not really. The percentage of the population living below poverty is the same now compared to the 1980s. In fact the percentage increased again last year (2010) to 15% based on the numbers I saw.
I disagree with that statement. If the poverty level is the same since then(which I doubt) there is still a higher percentage of middle class and upper class people from the 2000s to now compared to the 1980s and 1990s, especially for people that are black and hispanic.

Also, from the 2000s to now poverty seems a bit more manageable than how it was in the 1980s and 1990s and there is more higher standards for what poverty means compared to that time period before.

However, looks like you agreed with everything else I said with 10 out of 11 things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Some reasons why the 2000s to now is so much better than the 1980s and 1990s:

1. More technologically advanced.
Example 1:Computers and the internet barely even existed in the 1980s up to early to mid 1990s. It wasn't used by the majority of Americans until the Late 1990s/early 2000s.
Example 2: Cell phones and ipods started to be used much more from the early 2000s and later. Did they even exist before the mid to late 1990s?
Example 3: Some of the best websites in existence such as facebook, city-data and some other great websites were not even created until the early 2000s and later.
Example 4: Airplanes was not nearly as safe to travel in the 1980s and before as it was in the 2000s and later.

2. Better race relations and more racial integration

3. Better gender relations between both genders.

4. More equality for people that deserve equality

5. Better urban amenities of different types

6. Much lower crime rates for most places in the 2000s to now compared to how it was in the 1980s and 1990s.

7. USA had to worry about a nuclear war in the 1980s and the Cold war time period and from the 2000s to now it doesn't like the way it had to worry about it during the Cold War.

8. A higher percentage of people that are middle class and wealthy and less low income/poverty problems compared to how it was in the 1980s and 1990s.

9. The country became more progressive.

10. Much better, more varied, and healthier food options.

11. More healthy lifestyle possibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2011, 10:23 PM
 
Location: IN
20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Reputation: 13282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I disagree with that statement. If the poverty level is the same since then(which I doubt) there is still a higher percentage of middle class and upper class people from the 2000s to now compared to the 1980s and 1990s, especially for people that are black and hispanic.

Also, from the 2000s to now poverty seems a bit more manageable than how it was in the 1980s and 1990s and there is more higher standards for what poverty means compared to that time period before.

However, looks like you agreed with everything else I said with 10 out of 11 things
Look at quickfacts.census.gov for a county by county breakdown. In terms of poverty issues some areas have improved while other areas have gotten worse, Urban centers in many areas have seen increasing incomes and brain gains. Rural areas, particularly the South, were hit quite hard with plant closures as more middle wage manufacturing jobs were outsourced overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2011, 10:45 PM
 
6,056 posts, read 10,839,435 times
Reputation: 3063
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Look at quickfacts.census.gov for a county by county breakdown. In terms of poverty issues some areas have improved while other areas have gotten worse, Urban centers in many areas have seen increasing incomes and brain gains. Rural areas, particularly the South, were hit quite hard with plant closures as more middle wage manufacturing jobs were outsourced overseas.
Well. There you go. Many areas of the USA poverty has decreased.

There are more middle class and wealthy people from the 2000s to now compared to 1980s and 1990s especially for people that are black and hispanic.

Also poverty is a bit more manageable in the 2000s to now compared to the 1980s to 1990s.

And it seems like you agreed with 10 out of 11 points I made for why the 2000s to now is better than the 1980s and 1990s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Some reasons why the 2000s to now is so much better than the 1980s and 1990s:

1. More technologically advanced.
Example 1:Computers and the internet barely even existed in the 1980s up to early to mid 1990s. It wasn't used by the majority of Americans until the Late 1990s/early 2000s.
Example 2: Cell phones and ipods started to be used much more from the early 2000s and later. Did they even exist before the mid to late 1990s?
Example 3: Some of the best websites in existence such as facebook, city-data and some other great websites were not even created until the early 2000s and later.
Example 4: Airplanes was not nearly as safe to travel in the 1980s and before as it was in the 2000s and later.

2. Better race relations and more racial integration

3. Better gender relations between both genders.

4. More equality for people that deserve equality

5. Better urban amenities of different types

6. Much lower crime rates for most places in the 2000s to now compared to how it was in the 1980s and 1990s.

7. USA had to worry about a nuclear war in the 1980s and the Cold war time period and from the 2000s to now it doesn't like the way it had to worry about it during the Cold War.

8. A higher percentage of people that are middle class and wealthy and less low income/poverty problems compared to how it was in the 1980s and 1990s.

9. The country became more progressive.

10. Much better, more varied and healthier food options.

11. More healthy lifestyle possibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2011, 10:58 PM
 
144 posts, read 223,672 times
Reputation: 130
It seems like today, medium sized cities are better in the amentities they offer.

For example, in the late 1980's to eatly 1990's, I lived in the Anniston, AL area. Back then, the small mall barely had 30 stores and going to Birmingham or Atlanta was a necessity if you wanted a decent shopping experience. The population of the greater Anniston area was about 114,000 or so back then.

Now when I go back, it looks like a totally different area. The population is still around 114,000. Although many places have moved closer to the interstate away from Anniston, there are still many more choices than in the 1980's-90's. The old mall is triple in size. There's a Books-A-Million, Target, Pet Smart, more dining choices, more higher end hotels....I see this is many similar sized areas as well. Even the small cities have more amenities.

While plenty of people hate Wal-Mart, the stores themselves have improved tremendously since the 1980's. The stores were a lot smaller and cluttered. Also back then, the some of the choices were (still) tacky K-Mart, low class Ames, or equally low class McCroy's, where you could smell the god-awful food they cooked that permeated the store.

The downside, of course, is lack of American made products that is so common in all stores today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top