U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which time period was better?
the 80's & 90's 229 69.82%
the 00's/now 99 30.18%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 06:16 AM

6,237 posts, read 8,464,520 times

Advertisements

The 90s, without a doubt. I graduated high school in 2000, so maybe being a carefree teenager then has something to do with it. tv shows and music were better, new technologies were coming out, and the peace and seeming prosperity made it a great time to be alive.

After 9/11...well...it's been downhill from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 08:49 AM

4,800 posts, read 10,578,685 times
In many cities, the murder rate is the lowest it has been in 50 years, along with many other crimes so I would say public safety is much better now.
The internet to me is a great change in the quality of life. The access average people have to information has vastly improved. I would say it has been a revolution and a good one.
Overall, if your personal finances are good, I would say now is a better time.
Some things were better in the 80s and 90s. Security at places like airports was much less oppressive. The illegal immigration problem wasn't as bad, although it was growing even then. The economy was growing faster than today and more jobs were being created.
One positive I will say about the 80s and 90s is America had a more positive image of itself. Now the country seems to be very down on itself and much less optimistic.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:57 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,502,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Some reasons why the 2000s to now is so much better than the 1980s and 1990s:

1. More technologically advanced.
Example 1:Computers and the internet barely even existed in the 1980s up to early to mid 1990s. It wasn't used by the majority of Americans until the Late 1990s/early 2000s.
But now, technology has advanced so far that humans, particularly Americans, have lost the art of face-to-face interaction. And to be honest, the internet was way better when it was the "Wild West" (i.e. before corporations started going after Mp3 downloading, before access to full TV shows/movies websites were taken down, and before the Government started to monitor every activity). Personally, I could've lived with the technology of 1999-2001 as long as the affable social interaction and friendliness of people back then remained the same. We had the internet, instant messaging, video games, and cell phones, but it didn't consume our lives like it does now.

Quote:
Example 2: Cell phones and ipods started to be used much more from the early 2000s and later. Did they even exist before the mid to late 1990s?
Cell phones and iPods itself are great advances in technology, but back to the first point of how this society uses technology to avoid social interaction and boost their own ego, especially with any sort of Apple product.

Quote:
Example 3: Some of the best websites in existence such as facebook, city-data and some other great websites were not even created until the early 2000s and later.
Sites like twitter, facebook, and myspace, IMO, are mostly ego-boosting narcissism-inducing "social networking" sites which ironically gives people (at least from my generation) a reason not to socialize. City-Data's ok though.

Quote:
Example 4: Airplanes was not nearly as safe to travel in the 1980s and before as it was in the 2000s and later.
But airports then weren't as a pain to get through with all of the security "enhancements." You may have the perception of a safety, but it's definitely at a cost of freedom.

Quote:
2. Better race relations and more racial integration
Perhaps among today's teenagers, but I'll tell you from personal experience that a lot of self-proclaiming progressive yuppies and hipsters are amongst the most racist people I've ever dealt with. And let's not get into the Hispanic=illegal issue. We had Latinos back then but they didn't have to face as much scrutiny.

Quote:
3. Better gender relations between both genders.
It may seem like such, but there's an undercurrent of resentment from some men that women are getting more rights, whether in the workplace, marriage, or just in everyday society. Combine this with the increasing bitterness of men from women, growing divorce rates, and the necessity of having drama and childish games for relationships and I'm not too convinced about gender relations.

Quote:
4. More equality for people that deserve equality
That depends on who deserves equality.

Quote:
5. Better urban amenities of different types
Cities are technically better today compared to the 80s and 90s, but it's mostly the upper-class and lower-class individuals who have been given the opportunity to take advantage of this. This is while middle class families are still stuck in the suburbs with foreclosed homes that have declining prices.

Quote:
6. Much lower crime rates for most places in the 2000s to now compared to how it was in the 1980s and 1990s.
Refer to 5, and add to it, the crimes aren't really going down as they are just being pushed from the cities to the suburbs.

Quote:
7. USA had to worry about a nuclear war in the 1980s and the Cold war time period and from the 2000s to now it doesn't like the way it had to worry about it during the Cold War.
But in exchange, we now deal with terrorism and Al Qaeda. And unlike the USSR and Gorbachev, there isn't (nor shouldn't be) any reasoning with terrorist groups and their fostering states. Even though the 80s had the Cold War between the USA and USSR, the 90s were completely free of such worries.

Quote:
8. A higher percentage of people that are middle class and wealthy and less low income/poverty problems compared to how it was in the 1980s and 1990s.
Between the Great Recession from 2007 and the shipping away of jobs (blue and white collar alike) during the entire decade, the middle class has indeed been declining. In fact, it was the late 90s where the income gap was the most narrow in American history, and when most people were able to get out of poverty.

Quote:
9. The country became more progressive.
Only if you're gay or a woman IMO, has America become more progressive than it was in the 80s and 90s. And that's all good for them, but for everyone else, it's either stayed the same or gotten worse.

Quote:
10. Much better, more varied and healthier food options.
And yet an increasing obesity epidemic. And for the record, most of the "healthy" options tend to be organic foods that are way overpriced just because it's sold at some organic store, leaving the upper-middle class and higher the only common consumers of such foods.

Quote:
11. More healthy lifestyle possibilities.
Same point as #10. Most people don't have access to yoga and don't live in walkable/bikeable cities.

I see the point that you make, and for certain people who obtained their wealth, education, or working experience in the 1990s, the 2000s-today are great times. But for most people, it's just not as bright as the 80s and 90s. And for me, even though I'm socioeconomically better off, that's just by a default of getting a bachelors degree in a competent major. And it'll only get better as I build experience and get a graduate degree (or another degree in a better field), but I do feel as if the 80s and 90s would've given me an easier path to better standard of living and quality of life, all things being equal.

Last edited by Do a Barrel Roll; 05-30-2011 at 11:42 AM..

Old 05-30-2011, 11:43 AM

6,066 posts, read 10,846,014 times
Thanks for showing interest to my post and the debate.

I overall just generally think the 2000s to now is much better than the 1980s and 1990s for all the reasons I mentioned.

But I will still respond to your post.

Quote:
But now, technology has advanced so far that humans, particularly Americans, have lost the art of face-to-face interaction. And to be honest, the internet was way better when it was the "Wild West" (i.e. before corporations started going after downloading Mp3 downloading, access to full TV shows/movies websites were taken down, and before the Government started to monitor every activity). Personally, I could've lived with the technology of 1999-2001 as long as the affable social interaction and friendliness of people back then remained the same. We had the internet, instant messaging, video games, and cell phones, but it didn't consume our lives like it does now.
I definitely disagree.

Technology has advanced in a really good way with many things where it can help enhance and promote more positive human interaction of different kinds and promote greater intellectual stimulation of different types.

For most people it does not consume their lives, but is a positive aspect in their lives and is beneficial in their lives in general.

It is so great how the computer and internet has advanced so much in the 2000s to now compared to the 1980s and 1990s.

Most people did not even have computers and the internet until the late 1990s early 2000s.

Also great websites such as city-data, facebook, and many other websites did not exist until the early to mid 2000s!

Quote:
Cell phones and iPods itself are great advances in technology, but back to the first point of how this society uses technology to avoid social interaction and boost their own ego, especially with any sort of Apple product.
What? lol

Cell phones promote social interaction in a good way.
And Ipods are awesome in general just because.

Quote:
Sites like twitter, facebook, and myspace, IMO, are mostly ego-boosting narcissism-inducing "social networking" sites which ironically gives people (at least from my generation) a reason not to socialize. City-Data's ok though.
All of those websites are awesome websites so I don't know why you like to bash them.

Quote:
But airports then weren't as a pain to get through with all of the security "enhancements." You may have the perception of a safety, but it's definitely at a cost of freedom.
The security enhancements don't take that much more time.

Also the security enhancements makes airplanes so much more safer!

Airplane travel is much more safer and much readily available to many more people in the 2000s to now than how it was in the 1980s and 1990s.

Quote:
Perhaps among today's teenagers, but I'll tell you from personal experience that a lot of self-proclaiming progressive yuppies and hipsters are amongst the most racist people I've ever dealt with. And let's not get into the Hispanic=illegal issue. We had Latinos back then but they didn't have to face that much scrutiny.
Come on. Overall the USA has MUCH better racial relations for all races and racial integration in the 2000s to now than the 1980s and 1990s.

Most yuppies and hipsters I know are nothing near racist.

Quote:
It may seem like such, but there's an undercurrent of resentment from some men that women are getting more rights, whether in the workplace, marriage, or just in everyday society. Combine this with the increasing bitterness of men from women, growing divorce rates, and the necessity of having drama and childish games for relationships and I'm not too convinced about gender relations.
That sounds kind of negatively sexist from you. Do you really like to disrespect your mother, girlfriend/wife, etc. like that?
That is horrible.

No, there is definitely much better gender relations than before such as compared to the 1980s.

Also, there seem to be better looking women in the 2000s to now compared to the 1980s. Empowered women look better because then they feel much more comfortable looking good etc.

Quote:
That depends on who deserves equality.
So who are you referring to related to that statement?....

Quote:
Cities are technically better today compared to the 80s and 90s, but it's mostly the upper-class and lower-class individuals who have been given the opportunity to take advantage of this. This is while middle class families are still stuck in the suburbs with foreclosed homes that have declining prices.
Well there you go. You finally agree with me like you should.

Yes, cities are technically better today compared to the 1980s and 1990s. The middle class actually seem to benefit the most, other than the upper class and lower classes.

Quote:
Refer to 5, and add to it, the crimes aren't really going down as they are just being pushed from the cities to the suburbs.
No way you are right with that. So many cities had MUCH higher crime rates in the 1980s and 1990s than the 2000s to now. Crime went way down.

One example, NYC from the 2000s to now is 10 to 15 times more safer than it was in the 1980s to 1990s. Same truth for Washington DC, Philadelphia, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles and some other cities!

Quote:
But in exchange, we now deal with terrorism and Al Qaeda. And unlike the USSR and Gorbachev, there isn't (nor shouldn't be) any reasoning with terrorist groups and their fostering states. Even though the 80s had the Cold War between the USA and USSR, the 90s were completely free of such worries.
Well in the 1980s and even the 1990s we had to worry about a nuclear war with the USSR! That is a bigger thing to worry than even terrorism and Al Queda.

Quote:
Between the Great Recession from 2007 and the shipping away of jobs (blue and white collar alike) during the entire decade, the middle class has indeed been declining. In fact, it was the late 90s where the income gap was the most narrow in American history, and when most people were able to get out of poverty.
Nah. Middle class and upper class are in higher percentage than the 1980s and 1990s. Also poverty is more manageable since then and there are no more broader standards now for what poverty means so this may be why some more people may be classified in this.

There are many more middle class and upper class people that are black and hispanic than the 1980s and 1990s!

Quote:
Only if you're gay or a woman IMO, has America become more progressive than it was in the 80s and 90s. And that's all good for them, but for everyone else, it's either stayed the same or gotten worse.
Other things have become more progressive too in a good way!

Quote:
And yet an increasing obesity epidemic. And for the record, most of the "healthy" options tend to be organic foods that are way overpriced just because it's sold at some organic store, leaving the upper-middle class and higher the only common consumers of such foods.
Well, that is somebody's fault for them to have obesity problems. So much easier lately to not be obese than before.

There is much more healthy food options in general and much bigger variety of it and a lot of it is affordable enough!

Quote:
Same point as #10. Most people don't have access to yoga and don't live in walkable/bikeable cities.
Healthy lifestyles is about so much more than just yoga and bikeable cities.lol

There is many more healthy lifestyle options and possibilities than the 1980s and 1990s.

Quote:
I see the point that you make, and for certain people who obtained their wealth, education, or working experience in the 1990s, the 2000s-today are great times. But for most people, it's just not as bright as the 80s and 90s. And for me, even though I'm socioeconomically better off, that's just by a default of getting a bachelors degree in a competent major. And it'll only get better as I build experience and get a graduate degree (or another degree in a better field), but I do feel as if the 80s and 90s would've given me an easier path to better standard of living and quality of life, all things being equal.
I also see the point you are trying to make.

Well, I am glad you can see how for plenty of people the 2000s to today are great times and better than the 1980s and 1990s.

I disagree. Most people seem like they like the 2000s to now than 1980s and 1990s despite what this poll results may show.

It really seems like the 2000s to now give you a much easier standard of living and quality of life than the 1980s and 1990s.

Also, let me say I am not trying to bash the 1980s and 1990s so much. That time period definitely had its nice things and I am sure I could have enjoyed my time during that time and did for the 1990s).I was born in 1991.

I am just saying I personally like the 2000s to now much more than the 1980s and 1990s and for all those reasons I mentioned.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:55 PM

16,133 posts, read 20,824,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Are you referring to stock market investments & real estate?
Real Estate both times

Old 02-19-2012, 04:56 PM

3 posts, read 8,234 times
i'm 57 years old and believe that the 80's was the best decade around.i was in my 30's then and hung out with younger people than myself.it was a blast -yeah,my friends from the 70's will disagree that the 80's was cool.in fact i believe my friends hated it/but the 80's created MTV which streamed some extremely great fun and rockin tunes./what gets me is how anyone attaches disco music to the 80's as though it were really in existence at that time./it wasn't disco/the paula abdul stuff and others like her not only weren't disco, but if you listen to the 70's disco that was popular,the music was totally different/paula abdul and whitney houston did what i'd call called dance music because it was "dancable"..but not disco/.it was much more enjoyable or entertaining musically than any of the 70's disco,because the most one could say about it was that it was great for dance..that was it./it was repetitious in lyrics especially..more more more(how do you like it,how do you like it),/i'm your boogie man,/keep it comin love,etc..(oh yeah..love to love you baby..the long version by donna summer)..all repetitive..in the 80's, disco became something danceable and didn't just repeat the same silly verse over and over.songs like i want to dance with somebody,straight up,etc actually had better lyrics and didn't repeat the same line continuosly..but there's another reason dance music should not be equated to 80's music when the topic arises.it's the reason that music that came from groups like the psychedelic furs,the talking heads,missing persons,heart,erasure,spandau ballet,the cars,blondie,etc(new wave)were more popular than the dance the music.i've noticed that a lot of people forget that for some reason.new wave was more popular and sold better than the dance stuff did partly because there was more of it than the other,also,your average high school student was in to rock as opposed to the dance sound..the high schoolers and early to mid 20ists were into to the more rock/new wave sounding stuff and videos and the preteens were the ones more into abdul , houston,tiffany,debbie gibson,etc..i however was one of those that were into all of it.i used to record MTV on to VHS tape all day..literally..i'd spend money on two packs of 6 hour tapes and i'd record mtv for as long i could,24/7 till i'd run out of space and the following week i'd buy more and start again.i wish i still had those tapes.i'm glad that i was old enough in the 80's to remember it and have fun in it when it existed.like most people,i didn't expect it end so abruptly.rap and hip hop came along(1994,95) and it seems like it was the death of the 80's sound entirely

Last edited by ricky agnew; 02-19-2012 at 05:05 PM..

Old 02-19-2012, 04:59 PM

a apologise for the typos in my last post..yikes!!

Old 02-19-2012, 05:09 PM

i'm 57 years old and believe that the 80's was the best decade around.i was in my 30's then and hung out with yonger people than myself.it was a blast -yeah,my friends from the 70's will disagree that the 80's was cool.in fact i believe my friends hated it/,but the 80's created MTV which streamed some extremely great fun and rockin tunes.what gets me is how anyone attaches diso music to the 80's as though it were really in existence at that time.it wasn't disco/the paula abdul stuff and others like her not only weren't disco, but if you listen to the 70's disco that was popular,paula abdul and whitney houston did what i'd call called dance music because it was dancable.it was much more enjoyable or entertaining musically than any of the 70's disco,because the most one could say about it was that it was great for dance..that was it.it was repetitious in lyrics especially..more more more(how do you like it,how do you like it),i'm your boogie man,keep it comin love,etc..(oh yeah..love to love you baby..the long version by donna summer)..all repetitive..in the 80's disco became something danceable and didn't just repeat the same silly verse over and over.songs like i want to dance with somebody,straight up,etc..but there's another reason dance music should not be equated to 80's music when the topic arises.it's the reason that music that came from groups like the psychedelic furs,the talking heads,missing persons,heart,erasure,spandau ballet,the cars,blondie,etc(new wave)were more popular than the dance the music.i've noticed that a lot of people forget that for some reason.new wave was more popular and sold better than the dance stuff did partly because there was more of it than the other,also,your average high school student was in to rock as opposed to the dance sound..the high schoolers and early 20ists were into to the more rock/new wave sounding stuff and videos and the preteens were the ones more into abdul , houston,tiffany,debbie gibson,etc..i however was one of those that were into all of it.i used to record MTV on to VHS tape all day..literally..i'd spend money on two packs of 6 hour tapes and i'd record mtvfor as long i could,24/7 till i'd run out of space and the following week i'd buy more and start again.i wish i still had those tapes.i'm glad that i was old enough in the 80's to remember it and have fun in it when it existed.like most people,i didn't expect it end so abruptly.rap and hip hop came along and it seems like it was the death of the 80's sound entirely.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:34 PM

5,552 posts, read 6,981,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
People were just plain happier all around, because of so many factors, in the 80s. You might even call it the calm before the storm.

Not true in the early 1980s. I remember high unemployment and high inflation in the early 80s.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:21 AM

10,789 posts, read 9,425,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post

If it was up to me, I would've been born ten years earlier. Raised as a kid in the 80s, be a teen in the early 90s, attend college in the mid-to-late 90s and graduated in one of the BEST job markets since the Great Depression.
That's my life... sweet huh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.