U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which time period was better?
the 80's & 90's 229 69.82%
the 00's/now 99 30.18%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 12:42 PM

66 posts, read 44,375 times

Advertisements

80's hands down. Children could outside and play till dinner time. there was a such thing as dinner time where families sat down and talked over dinner without the TV on (or at least in most families). Everyone was making money. even people not making money were making money. Not sure what happened or how it all went downhill so fast but it did and I would say that the 80's and to a lesser extent the 90's were our hay-day here in America. After 911, slowly but surely it's been wave after wave of complete insanity, outside and in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 02:06 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,253,023 times
People keep talking about the intrusion of technology into their lives. That is a fair point but when it is within your own family, that is your fault. I know plenty of family with young children to teenagers who regularly talk or eat dinner without phones and television. If it is in other people's families, well, then, its none of your business and maybe they like it like that.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:35 PM
BMI

7,265 posts, read 4,501,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testing_waters View Post
80's hands down. Children could outside and play till dinner time. there was a such thing as dinner time where families sat down and talked over dinner without the TV on (or at least in most families). Everyone was making money. even people not making money were making money. Not sure what happened or how it all went downhill so fast but it did and I would say that the 80's and to a lesser extent the 90's were our hay-day here in America. After 911, slowly but surely it's been wave after wave of complete insanity, outside and in.
Agree, far better.

Only thing better about now is smart phones/computers.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:14 PM

157 posts, read 99,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testing_waters View Post
...or had dinner without their eyes glued to a phone!! I would also agree that 9/11 was when the U.S. started collapsing on itself.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:26 PM

831 posts, read 933,581 times
Certain things are no doubt better like human rights and of course technology.

The sad reality however is that our standard of living was much higher previous to about 1985. The middle class was much larger, you didn't need to go to university for 5 years to get a decent job, buying a house on one salary was the norm without all the massive debt like today, people were much more social, relaxed, and less stressed. A job was something you could count on for life if you wanted and you didn't have to worry about your job being shipped overseas. For North Americans, terrorism was something that happened "over there" and travel was sooooooooooo much easier, faster, and more comfortable than it is today. Those under 35 may not realize this but there was a time when air travel was a pleasure and not the equivalent of Chinese Water Torture.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:28 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,202,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post

The sad reality however is that our standard of living was much higher previous to about 1985. The middle class was much larger, you didn't need to go to university for 5 years to get a decent job, buying a house on one salary was the norm without all the massive debt like today, people were much more social, relaxed, and less stressed. A job was something you could count on for life if you wanted and you didn't have to worry about your job being shipped overseas. For North Americans, terrorism was something that happened "over there" and travel was sooooooooooo much easier, faster, and more comfortable than it is today. Those under 35 may not realize this but there was a time when air travel was a pleasure and not the equivalent of Chinese Water Torture.
Having lived and worked as an adult throughout the 1980s, I can unequivocally state that all of the above is 100% looking through rose-colored glasses.

- de-industrialization was in full swing, with unemployment well over 10% in the US, and over 20% in many parts of the country, especially the rust belt and oil-producing areas - US steel industry basically disappeared, auto industry collapsed with foreign competition, domestic oil/gas collapsed as price of imported oil dropped below $10/barrel
- crime, including murder rates, were much higher and would continue to increase through the early 1990s - even the President was shot in the 1980s
- the cities were neglected trash heaps for the most part, with recoveries not even starting until the 1990s
- few people could afford houses on 1 salary - average mortgage rates in the mid 80s were well over 10%, with 16% common
- credit card interest rates were 18% to 21% for most users
- air travel was not as cheap as it is today, and whether it was a pleasure or not may depend on whether you were in the front or back of the plane as in the back rows smoking was allowed
- the crack epidemic was just starting
- AIDS was growing with no definitive end in sight, and it was starting to appear more in heterosexuals - hardly a more relaxed social atmosphere by the mid 80s
- Lots of terrorism in the 80s - US embassies in Kuwait and Lebanon were attacked, hundreds of US troops are killed in Beirut barracks bombing, multiple attacks in Europe, Pan Am 103 was blown up, a CIA chief in Europe was kidnapped

Old 10-13-2017, 07:04 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 20 days ago)

8,696 posts, read 10,842,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post

So true. Now, even a Master's Degree doesn't guarantee a "good" job. And, owning a home is only a dream for many. Well, even rent in some areas is rough.
And, don't forget the rising and unattainable cost of health insurance. When we grew up, don't remember my parents ever having a conversation about it... or in the 80's or 90's. Now, it's all people talk about. Never heard much about people going bankrupt over medical bills either. People were definitely more relaxed. Easier going I guess I'd say.Lots of things are upside down now.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:51 PM

88 posts, read 68,153 times
If I had to choose between the 80's/90's and the 00's to now, I'd choose neither because all four decades are different with their own problems and advantages.

As a late teenager growing up today, I get annoyed when I hear adults even in their twenties complain about certain things these days. "I feel sorry for kids these days." I guess its true that the 20th century was better in many ways. To be honest this century is having a pretty rough start. Hey at least the economy is really good right now (for 21st century standards). Sometimes I feel sorry for myself, growing up in this era. If we could have the same quality of life as the 80's and 90's with today's advancements then this world would be so much better I guess.Perhaps we should be more thankful for what we have and take less things for granted. Tomorrow, there could be an apocalypse, an invasion, or the world might end. The United States could divide and our government may become a dictatorship. Be thankful that today, those things didn't happen and aren't happening. Racism is a lot less severe than the 50's and 60's. The standards and quality of life have improved in much of the world. There are plenty of things that I'd want to trade for from previous times because no era is perfect. Though many things aren't as great as they used to(i.e. the music industry, obesity rates, drugs, social media having too much influence, etc.) We still have great things today(i.e. movies, TV shows, fashion are at or better than the 80's IMO. obviously Technology, Diversity, convenient life style, access to information, no wars involving the US, etc.) Be thankful that life today is not in the worst scenario. If you want to make a change, it starts with you. Be patient, making an impact takes a long time and is not easy. Don't force your beliefs and ideas onto other people. Oh, and elders, give us young people a break from the: "Back in my day, such and such was better" bull crap for a little bit.

Old 10-14-2017, 09:39 PM
BMI

7,265 posts, read 4,501,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMF575 View Post
If I had to choose between the 80's/90's and the 00's to now, I'd choose neither because all four decades are different with their own problems and advantages.

As a late teenager growing up today, I get annoyed when I hear adults even in their twenties complain about certain things these days. "I feel sorry for kids these days." I guess its true that the 20th century was better in many ways. To be honest this century is having a pretty rough start. Hey at least the economy is really good right now (for 21st century standards). Sometimes I feel sorry for myself, growing up in this era. If we could have the same quality of life as the 80's and 90's with today's advancements then this world would be so much better I guess.Perhaps we should be more thankful for what we have and take less things for granted. Tomorrow, there could be an apocalypse, an invasion, or the world might end. The United States could divide and our government may become a dictatorship. Be thankful that today, those things didn't happen and aren't happening. Racism is a lot less severe than the 50's and 60's. The standards and quality of life have improved in much of the world. There are plenty of things that I'd want to trade for from previous times because no era is perfect. Though many things aren't as great as they used to(i.e. the music industry, obesity rates, drugs, social media having too much influence, etc.) We still have great things today(i.e. movies, TV shows, fashion are at or better than the 80's IMO. obviously Technology, Diversity, convenient life style, access to information, no wars involving the US, etc.) Be thankful that life today is not in the worst scenario. If you want to make a change, it starts with you. Be patient, making an impact takes a long time and is not easy. Don't force your beliefs and ideas onto other people. Oh, and elders, give us young people a break from the: "Back in my day, such and such was better" bull crap for a little bit.
You have some good points....

But one thing that can not be denied ....music WAS better back then

Old 10-15-2017, 07:37 AM

88 posts, read 68,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
You have some good points....

But one thing that can not be denied ....music WAS better back then

Of course!!
The 80's and 90's blow everything else away, especially the 00's. Even 10's music is better than that decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.