U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which time period was better?
the 80's & 90's 229 69.82%
the 00's/now 99 30.18%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 11:24 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,277,280 times

Advertisements

Barring major disasters, any future decade will always be better than preceding decades. Greater technological advances each decade ensure that lifespans get longer, diseases/conditions have more efficient cures, etc.

Therefore, the 00s/now is better than the 80s/90s. Going further, the trends of 00s/now will age much better than those of the 80s/90s, due to not being near as cheesy, or garish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 05:02 PM

667 posts, read 278,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I completely disagree with your last statement as there is a huge revival of natural hairstyles in full swing among Black women today. And I don't even know what you're talking about as far as skin lighteners...you must be confusing Caribbean trends with American ones.
There has been zero "revival" of "natural" hair styles in the American Black community. If anything, the natural hair style movement was completely hijacked by women with the so-called "3C" hair type. So, if you mean a revival of natural hair as in black women of mixed heritage who have "curly hair" or black women whose hair has "curl definition," you would be right:

But this hair type? In which Solange Knowles was soundly abused by black women in droves as looking "dirty" and "homeless?"

No.

In fact, the demand for kinky curly/biracial hair type is so huge in the American Black community now that there's been an uptick in 2C to 3C-style weaves and wigs for the ones who want the "natural look:"

Old 12-09-2017, 05:13 PM

1,259 posts, read 695,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testing_waters View Post
80's hands down. Children could outside and play till dinner time. there was a such thing as dinner time where families sat down and talked over dinner without the TV on (or at least in most families). Everyone was making money. even people not making money were making money. Not sure what happened or how it all went downhill so fast but it did and I would say that the 80's and to a lesser extent the 90's were our hay-day here in America. After 911, slowly but surely it's been wave after wave of complete insanity, outside and in.
Quite accurate.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:14 PM

667 posts, read 278,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
Blacks were certainly more free in their appearance in the 70s than they are today.

Back then in the new age of "black power?, Afros were in style for African Americans because for the first time they felt comfortable enough to allow their African appearance to shine thru and not be embarrassed of it...........no hair straightening, no skin lightener.

Now AA women especially go out of their way to look as white as humanely possible.
You're so right. I'm a "natural." Not a biracial with "biracial hair" or a black woman with curl definition or whatever. It's as nappy as nappy can get.

I have experienced more hatred and weird looks now than I did 10 years ago when I went natural. And I don't think I have ever seen the level of self hatred of "black hair" than I did growing up as a kid. Everywhere I go, there are balding young women with permanent receding hair lines from years and years of aggressive straightening and other damaging hair techniques. We had to "do our hair" in the 1980s, but we weren't so aggressive that we were going bald by the age of 20, 21. But this generation is so aggressive now that they're developing the hair lines of middle aged men:

You only used to see this type of hair loss in professional black models like Naomi Campbell, but that kind of made sense. They were working in an industry in which it was important for them to have straight hair at any costs. But what's happening to these young women is self-afflicted. And it's happening with such frequency today precisely because there's more hatred of "black hair" and "black looks" than there was 10, 15 years ago:

Old 12-11-2017, 08:00 AM

6,795 posts, read 11,763,458 times
Is this even a serious question? Today without a doubt! I cannot imagine the decline in my quality of life if smartphones, the internet, artificial intelligence, more modern medical treatments, etc were all taken away!

Old 12-11-2017, 09:53 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,136,536 times
Not sure why the pictures and shift to pop culture. The original question was much broader, and applying to quality of life, etc. Culture and fashion might be interesting to some, but it's a bit off-topic.

The 80s and 90s kicked-ass over now. Much simpler life, more happiness, more freedom, more unity. Cost of living lower, less hassles. Less political bullshyte. I'm so glad I lived as an adult during those times. The 70s were even better!

Old 12-11-2017, 01:59 PM

892 posts, read 438,616 times
I guess it depends on your culture. I'd say for minorities( ethnic and sexual) and women, the further into the future we go the better it will be for them. If you're in the majority and a man, it could go either way I guess. I voted for the 00's because I think this period was better for society as a whole. I can't complain about people being treated more equally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.