Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which time period was better?
the 80's & 90's 274 70.26%
the 00's/now 116 29.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 05:51 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,653,653 times

Advertisements

The old time always seem better when you reflect but the world is always progressing...even though we have terrorism mass killing etc....the murder rate is nowhere near the 80's or 90's as it is today in almost every where you go....technology is way advanced and there is way more opportunity for ppl everywhere.....so today and tomorrow should always be better than before times....I couldnt imagine living in 1950 with race relations of that day ....and ppl complain about it today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 06:51 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
80s more so than the 90s because the 90s ushered in the IT offshoring.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:56 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,324,530 times
If some of the technology that's prevalent today was in the 80's/90's it would be an easier decision.

Personally the only reason I hated the 90's was because the days seemed extra extra long, I was in Pre-School & Elementary School in the 90's and the days go by slower when you're little lol.

I'd like to be able to enjoy the 80's/90's (minus the widespread crack) at my current age.

I choose the 80's/90's.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:05 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I really didn't like the mid/late 90s. I guess part of it could be because I was a teen then, but the worst part was all the Columbine stuff going on. Most of my peers and I were scared to go to school because of all the threats we kept hearing. You never knew if the stuff was true. We were always let out early because of bomb scares. It was a pretty scary time to be a teen.
Agree. In the late 90s, teens and teen culture was significantly more violent than it is now. I would say that being a teenager today is much better than it was in the 90s at least. That said, being an adult today is much more difficult than it was back then with the economy and the job market. Education and college degrees aren't worth what they were back then. I graduated with an IT degree in 2007 and it hasn't done jack **** for me because of this economy among other things. If I would have graduated with the same degree in 1997, I would be making six figures by now.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:46 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
I didn't entirely appreciate it at the time, but I'd say the period 1994-1999 was really pretty good. The crime rate was declining, the economy at least appeared good, and reality shows hadn't exploded yet. The overall mood of it still strikes me as an era of greed and callousness, far far more than the 1980s did, but still a good living.

Culturally I think I'd say I like the 1980s better than now. Comedies were more common and they were funnier than most of the comedies now. The Bill Cosby Show had more viewers than any American TV series today and Cheers of the era was really pretty good even watching it now. Pop-rock was maybe having its last "Golden Age." Some of it also involved some interesting stuff. John Cougar Mellencamp, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, Tears for Fears, etc did some songs in the era that are still fairly well respected or at least enjoyable. Michael Jackson was still kind of neat or at least a good dancer with well-produced videos. It was something of a weak decade for animated films, certainly when compared to the 1950s or 1990s, but The Secret of NIMH was great. Jim Henson, although not animation, was also still doing some good stuff. And home computers were these things that people, at least in my area, could be impressed to see at all. Which was kind of fun.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:17 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,251 times
Gotta love the 80s. Big hair, Saturday morning cartoons, new-fangled boxes called computers, 65-cent gas prices, sitcoms, and REAL music!

Old 01-09-2010, 11:39 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Definitely the 80s. It seems everything was more care-free back then and just more fun. I was only 4-5 years old in the late 80s, so unfortunately I never got to experience it at my prime. All my favorite bands are from then, so I would have LOVED to have seen them at their peak if I were a teenager back then.

Now we have to worry about terror/the war, the terrible economy, global warming, etc. I know the 80s experienced it too, but not to the level it is today.

I never thought I would say this, but I agree with you here. The 80's were a great decade musically and seemed much more carefree and happy.

None of this facebook, tweeting, texting, reality tv garbage either

Old 01-09-2010, 12:13 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
I never thought I would say this, but I agree with you here. The 80's were a great decade musically and seemed much more carefree and happy.

None of this facebook, tweeting, texting, reality tv garbage either

WOW, we agree on something????

Old 01-09-2010, 12:13 PM

981 posts, read 805,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
I don't know if it's just me, but I felt people of different races/religions/cultures got along better with each other back in the 90s without the political correctness and emphasis on multiculturalism. Back then, it was about just genuinely accepting or at least "live-and-let-live." Now, it's all about showing off and proving "tolerance."

As for the late 90s, I would say those were the best days out of those two decades. The only thing I would find questionable was the gradual rise of pop-music and mainstream hip-pop that would become over-saturated in the 2000s.
God, your posts are so annoying. You insist on making everything you write a treatise on race relations. Get over yourself. It's no wonder you have race problems with pretty much everyone you come across. You need to get some counseling.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:17 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
The 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.