Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which time period was better?
the 80's & 90's 274 70.26%
the 00's/now 116 29.74%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 08:36 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times

Advertisements

2000s/Now have great technology. That's about it.

I was only a child in the 90s but they sure seemed like better times, looking back at the big picture. There were never any worries about money in my family back then. People did seem friendlier. Even looking at the TV and movies of then, things seemed more upbeat. Nowadays it's all about the war this or economy that or depression here or doom and gloom there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 03:08 PM

698 posts, read 1,509,394 times
Ahh the good ole days. We should post this in another 10 years and ask what time period is the best. I bet the 00's win.

IMO 2010-2020 is going to be a great decade.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:45 PM

508 posts, read 1,512,499 times
I would say 80s/90s. Just think about the huge events that have impacted so many people in the 2000s.

Themes that have affected many older generations:

Major wealth destruction - real estate has declined and is a major portion of people's wealth in the older demographics (although they are probably still up in home value, it is just a portion of wealth that disappeared)

Stock market crashes - the tech bubble and this past one; the market has recovered somewhat but still down & the market increases play a HUGE part in this group's retirement; what if those gains come when these people are in their late 60s/70s?

Major layoffs and cut backs at the corporate level that seemed to have affected this group the most; peak earning years cut short

Wage increases slowed & pension benefits cut

Fitting the bill for more healthcare - healthcare costs have gone up much faster than wage increases (high single digits)

Fitting the bill for tuition for kids - same as above; education costs have gone up much faster than wage increases (high single digits)

Younger generations:

This past wreck has slowed the participation rates in the labor market from this group entering the job market

Fitting the education bill (if your parents were not able to support it); some people have the equivalent of a small mortgage in student loans

Under water on first home purchases - many young people bought pre-bubble thinking it would continue to rise

No pensions & likely some very reduced SS benefit if any - this generation will have to entirely fund their own retirement (and the average one doesn't seem to get that); more money out of pocket

Affected all of us

Rise in gas prices - takes more money out our pockets, even today our local gas price is $2.80 and was over $4.00. When I first started driving gas was $.89-.99 cents a gallon and has increaseed (based on recent prices) 10-12% a year since then. Now just think if you are pulling in wage increases of 3-4%.

This list does not affect everyone in the same manner but collectively it has weighed on many people in the 2000s. Who really cares about the price of an iPod coming down or the latest gadget if our lifestyle declined from the 80s/90s due to increasing prices on stuff we need. IMO, this won't change as globalization could continue to limit wage increases and benefits.

Despite my gloom, I think if we can just tweak a few things and get those right we can ride another great wave at some point in the future

Old 03-19-2010, 07:03 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,149 times
90's by far.

Remember when you had to go outside to talk to people?

Old 03-20-2010, 12:01 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
the early 2000s were pretty good too imo; I believe after or around about 2003 is when I started hating life. 2006 to 2007 was the worst year for me thus far (Everyone and everything pissed me off that year). 2008 to 2009 was close.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:40 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
I'm only 22, so I don't know if I can really speak with any definity on how people compare btw ages. However, I feel that the general trend throughout the latter half of the 20th century is that on a material/geo-political level, things have continuously gotten better with time. On a human and/or interpersonal level, I feel people have gotten significantly worse over time.

I think it all boils down to what you value. Despite the recent economic downturn, Humanity has oodles more oppertunity, comfort, success, and peace than has ever been realized before. OTOH, I feel that people have engaged in a long process of de-humanization that often shows up in many forms. Working customer service, it's shocking the level of genuine hostility, anger, snottyness, and ignorance people display. I find modern life to be deeply cold and empty, and have found the warmest feelings in places where people are still in touch with principals over the material.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,109 times
I'm 24 I was born in 86 so I remember very little of the 80's but I still have memories of it and I loved it. I also adored the early 90's.

I honestly think that families were happier together back then, there seemed to be less pressure. It wasn't all about money and politics or maybe I didn't think so 'cause I was just a kid...and back then kids could be kids and not worry about such things.

Cartoons were by far better back then and safer for the children.
If you talk to some of these children today they sound like adults... thats wrong, they are entitled to childhoods free from fear and worry.

There may have been horrible things back then, but at least we didn't celebrate them, the 80's and 90's were like a bright summer morning and today its so dark and scary, everyone is zombified by technology.

I wish I could go back! So much I would do, I actually wish I could turn back the hands of time and be that young again (Sigh) oh, well theres still good stuff now, I guess its all what you make of it.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:59 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
I literally came of age in the 80's and early 90's so I know the period very well. I have to say in most ways the 80's 90's win by far. Technology has made life a little more interesting since then but most of the technological achievements since then have been very disappointing. Where are the electric cars I thought would have taken over by now? The fusion reactors? The superconducting power lines? The maglev high speed trains everywhere and space stations on the moon? These are all things I was so sure we'd have by now when I was in high school instead we're more dependent on fossil fuels than ever (with sky high gas prices a result) Seems the only area's we've really made impressive gains are in less significant stuff like cell phones, P.C.s, HD TVs and satellite. The most significant advancements have been computer technology and the internet.

Things about the 80's and 90's that were better.

1.A more stable booming economy with lots of high paying manufacturing jobs.

2. More middle class single income families.

3. Lower energy prices.

4. Less single parent families.

5. Less serious crime in most places.

6. No major wars or conflicts for America.

7. Despite the U.S. already amassing debt the American dollar was still very strong and America was pretty much acknowledged as the best world economy back then.

8.AIDs was hardly any threat at all before the early 90's.

9. No serious threat of terrorism for most Americans here and abroad.

10. Better music IMO.

11.Less obesity. Kids were more physically active, more respectful, more serious about education.

Things better about 2000 til now.

1. The threat that a Western World and Soviet Eastern Block that totally hate and despise each other and have thousands of nuclear missles pointed at each other will choose to push the button and put an end to the world as we know it isn't a reality anymore.

(This is something about the 80's that many people either don't know or conveinently forget about but was very real back then. Official documents have been released by both U.S. and Soviet governments since that time showing that atleast on two occasions the earth came close to being wiped out when one side mistakenly thought the other had launched a nuclear attack and were ready to respond. Scary stuff.)

2. Some technological conveniences like cheap cell phones, lap tops, teebo
etc.

3. America is more accepting and embracing of diversity and is more diverse.

4. African American's have made great advancements and achievements as a group since those older decades. However, It seems there is as much if not more animosity towards the race now as ever before. All you have to do is look at the post on some of the threads on CD to see this.

5. American cities were in a decline in the 80's with suburbs on the rise and some entire rust belt metros suffering but have seen a resurgence since then especially now.

6. More variety of art forms and entertainment now.

Last edited by Galounger; 05-21-2011 at 07:09 AM..

Old 05-21-2011, 08:06 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
I look back at the 80s and 80s more warmly than this last decade. However, I was a child and teenager in those decades, so naturally they seemed better to me. Until the late 90s, I had practically no responsibilities and my only worries were making sure my grades were decent in school and staying out of trouble.

I find it telling (but I'm not sure what it's telling!) that over the last decade, when I've basically been on my own and incurred the most responsibility, I've wanted to leave my hometown and move far away. I've felt trapped and held back here, and have been far less happy overall. I think it's partly due to having to---well---learn to be an adult. But in learning to be independent I've also learned that I can go just about anywhere I want and try almost anything, which is a good feeling. But certainly not as safe and secure as the two previous decades when I had little to worry about.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:28 AM

631 posts, read 1,093,479 times
I'm in my early 40's, so the early-mid 80's were the most fun for me. Home computers and getting online was completely new and fascinating, video arcades and home video games were so much fun. Played ball in the streets, kids playing on the block, etc.. No bills to worry about, and the music was the best!

Financially, early-mid 00's was the best for me. I was working in the field I love, living in the city I love, debt-free, VERY low mortgage, expenses, etc...

Made some turns because of family situations in the late 00's, but the 10's have been good, but not as great as the early-mid 00's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.