U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 01:08 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,204,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by choosing78 View Post
Portland?
maine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 12:47 PM

726 posts, read 1,869,353 times
Oregon

Old 01-13-2010, 08:39 PM

58 posts, read 193,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashi_kashi View Post
Hi, I'm a college student looking to move for graduate school. My experience in the United States so far has been limited to mostly the South, as I go to school in Atlanta. I just would like to meet more (!genuinely!) open-minded, and kind-hearted people in the future.

Thank you!
You're in Atlanta and it's obvious you haven't found the type of people you are looking for. In Atlanta, you will NOT find open-minded, kind people. I commend you for trying to get out of there. It's a miserable dump, and the people have terrible attitudes. Move to the West Coast. People in California are much friendlier and actually enjoy life.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:44 PM

6,509 posts, read 7,454,824 times
Check out the midwest, there are lots of good big 10 schools there with good graduate programs. In the midwest you will experience average America. People in the south are more open than midwesterners but, the people of the midwest are just as friendly and genuine. Ann Arbor Mi, Columbus OH and Madison Wi, are prob the most popular college towns in the midwest. Good luck

Old 01-14-2010, 10:48 AM

6,433 posts, read 9,950,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashi_kashi View Post
Hi, I'm a college student looking to move for graduate school. My experience in the United States so far has been limited to mostly the South, as I go to school in Atlanta. I just would like to meet more (!genuinely!) open-minded, and kind-hearted people in the future.

Thank you!
Me and my fam visited Rochester, NY over the summer break and it was the most eye-opening experience ever. People in Rochester were SO nice! That's not to say I had a bad experience in New York City with the people there. NYC people are not bad either. It's just New England in general tends to get a bad rep like Boston Mass-holes. So I was expecting kind of the same. But no way. People were super nice and would stop everything just to help us find our way! Although strangely, most of the time, they didn't know the way.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:19 PM

56,531 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Me and my fam visited Rochester, NY over the summer break and it was the most eye-opening experience ever. People in Rochester were SO nice! That's not to say I had a bad experience in New York City with the people there. NYC people are not bad either. It's just New England in general tends to get a bad rep like Boston Mass-holes. So I was expecting kind of the same. But no way. People were super nice and would stop everything just to help us find our way! Although strangely, most of the time, they didn't know the way.
Yeah, Upstate NY is different and the people tend to be more down to earth.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:53 AM

2,034 posts, read 4,554,066 times
New Orleans has an abundance of great open minded people in it, whether you choose to believe it or not.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:28 PM

7 posts, read 25,927 times
I agree with New England or California (the Bay area specifically or northward to Oregon). I would also like to add Charlotte (or Raleigh), North Carolina. Lovely environment, great restaurants/activities, myriad open-minded people and genuine opportunties.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:18 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,449,054 times
The larger cities, specific geographic location would be the Northwest (northern Pacific).

Old 01-18-2010, 07:14 AM

10 posts, read 23,847 times
Having lived in or spent time in the following areas I would have to offer the following:
New Englanders (my home state is Massachusetts) as a rule are not nice, open, polite, kind, warm...of course, there are exceptions to the rule, as always-you may find a lot of real good people here nonetheless...(the weather is AWFUL so that makes ppl more nasty, too...), my opinion.
Southerners (lived in the southeast for 14 years) are sunny, friendly, behind the times, can be racist, backwards, but mostly pretty friendly....but not too bright...sorry, exceptions galore, of course!
Midwest (never lived there but know a lot of ppl from there) a generally nice, even-minded, staunch, friendly, happy bunch of folks who speak their minds and can be counted on....
West/Southwest (lived and or visited there several years) are open, friendly, not cliquish (like Yankees) and pretty much open and friendly...lots of diversity. The weather is super so this helps, too, I think!

Last edited by thershegoesagn; 01-18-2010 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: spelling correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or