U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-20-2010, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,240,132 times
Reputation: 1819

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Then you obviously haven't done as much research as you claim to have.

No place in the country is going to match the over-inflated salaries of your area, so you need to broaden your horizons a little before handing out advice.
I was looking to relocate, do you think I wasn't researching salaries enough??? Geez, you like to find ANYTHING in my posts to argue with me about. I never gave advice on this thread. Just saying how some teacher salaries don't match the cost of living in some areas in the west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2010, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,152,690 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Geez, you like to find ANYTHING in my posts to argue with me about. I never gave advice on this thread.
Wrong again.

You attempted to imply that since you checked into salaries in Vegas, that equated to THE ENTIRE WEST as being sub-par. Bad and inaccurate information.

We all know you tend to lump your opinions/experience in one city to equal the entire region of the city in question. Not only is it wrong, it is extremely misleading.

Big difference over arguing just for the sake of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 12,508,413 times
Reputation: 4054
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Its because you guys are taxed more. Ill take southern cities that don't tax as much and you have more financial freedom. Southern cities are true american cities. Northern cities are wanna be European cities. If you want the European lifestyle go move there instead of settling for a half ass version of it. I want to live in a true american city thats why i live in a southern city.
This may be one of the most foolish posts I've ever read on this site.

Northern cities are half-assed versions of Euro cities in what way? Is it because the cities of the Northeast are older? Because they've got denser cores? Is it the political leanings of the region? The fact that we've got higher taxes? Seriously, I'd love to hear your reasoning.

If the overgrown theme park that you live in is a "true American city", then god damn am I happy I don't live in the real America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2010, 05:59 PM
 
1,164 posts, read 1,792,926 times
Reputation: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Unless you're talking about California teacher salaries, no, the salaries out west are much cheaper than the northeastern states. I looked into relocating to the Las Vegas area, and what prevented me from moving there were the pitifully low teachers salaries. I would be making like 23,000 less out there. The COL isn't all THAT much lower there.
Teacher salaries in New York and Pennsylvania are high, averaging over $50K. The cost-of-living in upstate New York (Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo) is very low. The cost-of-living in central and western Pennsylvania (Erie-Harrisburg-Pittsburgh) is very low. I can't imagine Ohio and Michigan teacher salaries being that much below PA.

They're not: http://teacherportal.com/teacher-salaries-by-state

Last edited by jimmyev; 01-20-2010 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: Link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2010, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,152,690 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
This may be one of the most foolish posts I've ever read on this site.

Northern cities are half-assed versions of Euro cities in what way? Is it because the cities of the Northeast are older? Because they've got denser cores? Is it the political leanings of the region? The fact that we've got higher taxes? Seriously, I'd love to hear your reasoning.

If the overgrown theme park that you live in is a "true American city", then god damn am I happy I don't live in the real America.
For someone that attended school in the South, how can you be so misinformed about one of the major metro's in the country?

Are you really for real with this line of thinking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2010, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 12,508,413 times
Reputation: 4054
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
For someone that attended school in the South, how can you be so misinformed about one of the major metro's in the country?

Are you really for real with this line of thinking?
I suppose I'm only human...when someone calls my city a "wannabe" and the "half-assed version" of another continent and "not truly American", I tend to react in a negative manner. So I apologize for that.

I know Orlando isn't only Disney and Universal...but they're a major part of the cities economy and the two dominant icons of the area. I will admit I don't know much about Orlando, and probably should have reacted differently...holding the person responsible instead of the city.

However, since when did a 2million person metro become one of the major metros in the country? And since when did anything in Florida located South of Gainesville/Ocala become apart of the South?!

Also, would you agree with any of what GLS was saying? I sure hope not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2010, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
1,168 posts, read 2,534,823 times
Reputation: 1354
I think places like Chicago, Philadelphia, Minneapolis, and Seattle have the best balance of high salaries and a moderate cost of living, and those are all fantastic cities where most people wouldn't really feel like they're compromising or getting less because they're paying less (I certainly didn't feel like I was making some sort of compromise or getting less from moving from Manhattan to Chicago), so that "You get what you pay for" phrase isn't always true. Also, for retiring, it doesn't always make a difference between high salary/high COL and low salary/low COL. Someone making 60,000 in a low COL area could easily have the same amount in retirement savings as someone making 80,000 in a high COL area, even after selling property. That being said, I would still pick a high salary/high COL over low/low, just because a higher salary will always help command a higher salary if you move. For example, when I moved back to New York from Chicago, the salaries in my field are about the same in both cities but the cost of living is still much higher in NY, so I was able to negotiate a higher salary. If I had moved back to New York from a place like Phoenix or Orlando where both the cost of living and salaries in my field are significantly lower, I would not have had the leverage to negotiate such a high salary. So yea, high salary/moderate cost of living is by far the best, but I would still choose high salary/high cost of living over low salary/low cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2010, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Earth
31 posts, read 60,200 times
Reputation: 31
God has NOTHING to do with this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2010, 09:58 AM
 
62 posts, read 189,055 times
Reputation: 26
What COL calculators do you all use? With so many out there, I do not know which is the most accurate. They vary like crazy.

dave aka two young
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top