Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:55 PM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Its because you guys are taxed more. Ill take southern cities that don't tax as much and you have more financial freedom. Southern cities are true american cities. Northern cities are wanna be European cities. If you want the European lifestyle go move there instead of settling for a half ass version of it. I want to live in a true american city thats why i live in a southern city.
but in Southern states, you also might have fees we don't have in NY or other Northern states like vehicle, road and wheel taxes, depending on where you are.

I don't see how living in a Southern city make it more "American" than Northern cities.

Also, many Southern states are increasing their tax burden as they grow and such. So, does that make them less "American" if they do that? You can't get anything for free and the government has to get their money somehow.

As for the OP, I think like others have said, it depends on your priorities and what you value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 01:04 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
But yet the southerners on here say you can do/get the same things in southern cities that you can get in places like NYC...lol. I keep telling them there's a reason why prices are higher here. If you look at the Long Island board, those who moved down to TX and NC moved down there for the cheaper cost of living. They said they realized that the saying "you get what you pay for" is true. The town/city services you get here surpass most places in the country because we pay premium prices for it. Moderator cut: see comment
Elaborate.

Last edited by Bo; 01-09-2010 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: 1 sentence removed to make quote match original

Old 01-09-2010, 01:12 PM

155 posts, read 196,908 times
High salary and high cost of living is much better, plus your 401K will be much healthier. I also find that places with low cost of living usually have horrible job opportunities.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:15 PM

62 posts, read 209,525 times
Quote:
That's true. When my husband and I retire years from now as teachers, we'll be retiring with enough money to move wherever we want due to the high teaching salaries here.
I live in a low COL area and I hope that I'm not pigeon-holed into living in low COL all my life!

That may very well be the case depending on how salaries are calculated and adjusted for COL.

When salaries are adjusted for COL, are they allocating a FIXED amount to miscellaneous savings/spending and retirement or a percentage?

If it's percentage-based for those expenditures, people in higher COL areas are set up to be able to be able to move anywhere, while the lower COL area folks are set up to stay in the same COL span unless they allocate a higher percentage to their savings/retirement funds.

I feel totally jipped now! ...unless someone enlightens me (please do )

---yeah, yeah, I shouldn't just think about financials, but I'm just trying to reason this tidbit out.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I want to live in a true american city thats why i live in a southern city.
You live in Orlando?

Old 01-09-2010, 01:47 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyPhanatic View Post
You live in Orlando?
yup

Old 01-09-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
yup
Orlando is not what I would consider a true American city. It is a corporate run city controlled by the Disney Corporation and strip malls with high unemployment. There is really no need to insult other regions of the country.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:18 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
what are you getting for your high cost of living? Do have good schools, nice roads, cultural opportunites, etc. They say you get what you are willing to pay for. If you want low salaries with low cost of living, are you willing to get almost nothing for the amount you are willing to pay?

Old 01-09-2010, 02:21 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Quote:
Its because you guys are taxed more. Ill take southern cities that don't tax as much and you have more financial freedom. Southern cities are true american cities. Northern cities are wanna be European cities. If you want the European lifestyle go move there instead of settling for a half ass version of it. I want to live in a true american city thats why i live in a southern city.
Just how wrong and idiotic is this entire statement.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:26 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,213,967 times
Quote:
But yet the southerners on here say you can do/get the same things in southern cities that you can get in places like NYC...lol. I keep telling them there's a reason why prices are higher here. If you look at the Long Island board, those who moved down to TX and NC moved down there for the cheaper cost of living. They said they realized that the saying "you get what you pay for" is true. The town/city services you get here surpass most places in the country because we pay premium prices for it. Moderator cut: insulting
You never learn, do you? You were complaining in that other thread about people attacking you and NYC. You always claim you don't know why, but this is why. Did it ever occur to you that not everyone likes the same things you like? Thankfully I don't judge NYC or NYers by the ones on this forum.

Back to the original topic, I'd probably choose the high salary/high col. Mainly because the places with high col are the cities that I like. In DC we have one of the highest col in the country. Unfortunately, I don't make that high salary to go with it. haha Many out here do with their government jobs. Being a fireman, I never will, but a least I'm happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.