U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 02:53 PM

403 posts, read 1,257,537 times

Advertisements

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that people living anywhere else have to be, in some sense, kidding."

-John Updike

great quote. True to a certain extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 03:00 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,756,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post
"The true New Yorker secretly believes that people living anywhere else have to be, in some sense, kidding."

-John Updike

Thanks for sharing the funny joke with us

Old 01-13-2010, 03:12 PM

3,261 posts, read 7,809,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshtizza View Post
Hey everyone,

My names Josh, I am a 16 year old guy that is looking to move to the USA in the next couple of years. Im currently residing in Perth, Western Australia where I am attending my last year of school. I am hoping to go to Uni (college) and graduate with a bachelors degree in Commerce (Business). From then on, I would like to move to the states and either find a job or further my studies and do a masters degree at College. The problem is that I do not know where to move to. My best friend is from Houston, TX and has to move back to the US at the end of this year and my parents have promised me a trip with him back to Houston if I do well at school this year and get into the University of Western Australia which is similiar to an Ivy League School in the US, however, is public. Im not entirely sure of why I want to leave although I feel that I want a fresh start in life and to forget about my previous time in Perth. Not that it is bad but I feel as though I am missing out on so much that I hear my best mates friends in the USA get up to.

When recommending me a city in the US I would like to inform you of the following:
It is not a must but it would be preferable to live in a city that is close to the beach that is nice and warm to hot in summer and cool, snowy conditions in winter but the cold weather is not a must. I would love to live in a big city with skyscrapers, lots of people. I hate gangs, I know there are a lot of gangs in every city but I would like to live preferably in an area without a huge amount of gangs with a reasonable crime rate. I was thinking about Houston because that is where my best mate lives in the USA. The thing is, I feel once I get to Houston I won’t want to leave after meeting so many new people as I hear Southern States People are really kind, caring and generous. Enough of me, could you guys recommend me a city in the States that would fit my idea of my kind of city. Im just kind of lost. I do not know where so if u guys could help me out, that would be great.
There are a lot of major cities in Texas. Houston, Dallas and San Antonio you should check them out!

Dallas,Texas Population:1,279,910

Houston,Texas Population:2,242,193

San Antonio,Texas Population:1,351,305

Old 01-18-2010, 01:29 PM

113 posts, read 222,578 times
what i think you should do is stop listening to people that say all these bad things about houston when some of these things aint true...many people like houston...and need houston...and thats a fact!

You should just come down here and see what you think
I also heard that University of Houston has a great business school too...so yea
you should jsut come down here and see.

and who ever said it never gets below 50 or something like that...thats a lie...in december I believe it was like 23 degrees at night...so yea...that person needs to do some more research

and houston has some great restaurants too...look it up on forbes
and yea it gets hot in the summer, but thats good cause we have swimming pools to swim in and a water park in galveston that is fun...and a 3 hour drive i believe to new braunfels,tx and you can go to schlitterbaun water park...which is the worlds best water park

and let me tell you something...people have been saying that they have been hearing alot of bad things about houston...ok...and....i never do...i hear alot of bad thing about other cities too...and thats regular that a city has bad things about it...am i right???

so just go experince houston...and see what you think..

i love houston and hopefully you will too...well if you move there
and ask your friend what he thinks too!

Old 01-18-2010, 01:31 PM

113 posts, read 222,578 times
and someone please post some pictures of houston...because i dont know how to do it...lol

Old 01-18-2010, 02:09 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,674,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adambos View Post

-John Updike

lol! After joining C-D, I'm beginning to think New Yorkers and Texans have a lot more in common than they like to admit. Replace New Yorker with Texan, and you just pretty much summed up the "Texas mentality." And most people in Texas would tell you that would be true to certain extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or