Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 05:17 AM

6 posts, read 8,825 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

My names Josh, I am a 16 year old guy that is looking to move to the USA in the next couple of years. Im currently residing in Perth, Western Australia where I am attending my last year of school. I am hoping to go to Uni (college) and graduate with a bachelors degree in Commerce (Business). From then on, I would like to move to the states and either find a job or further my studies and do a masters degree at College. The problem is that I do not know where to move to. My best friend is from Houston, TX and has to move back to the US at the end of this year and my parents have promised me a trip with him back to Houston if I do well at school this year and get into the University of Western Australia which is similiar to an Ivy League School in the US, however, is public. Im not entirely sure of why I want to leave although I feel that I want a fresh start in life and to forget about my previous time in Perth. Not that it is bad but I feel as though I am missing out on so much that I hear my best mates friends in the USA get up to.

When recommending me a city in the US I would like to inform you of the following:
It is not a must but it would be preferable to live in a city that is close to the beach that is nice and warm to hot in summer and cool, snowy conditions in winter but the cold weather is not a must. I would love to live in a big city with skyscrapers, lots of people. I hate gangs, I know there are a lot of gangs in every city but I would like to live preferably in an area without a huge amount of gangs with a reasonable crime rate. I was thinking about Houston because that is where my best mate lives in the USA. The thing is, I feel once I get to Houston I won’t want to leave after meeting so many new people as I hear Southern States People are really kind, caring and generous. Enough of me, could you guys recommend me a city in the States that would fit my idea of my kind of city. Im just kind of lost. I do not know where so if u guys could help me out, that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 08:48 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
At 16 years old, your not missing out on anything people your age are doing in the US. Trust me. Our teens go through the exact same thing Aussie teens go through.

That said, if you are serious about going to school in Houston, then I think you and your parents should do extensive research to see if its a good fit. I personally think Houston would be fine to send my kid there for University if that's what they want. Its a huge metropolitan area and offers pretty much everything a person wants. And in my experience, the people there are very friendly and kind as you presume. Another huge plus is that you already have a really good friend who lives there. That will definitely make your transition easier.

You can make Houston your base and then when the opportunity arises, travel to other places in the states and check them out too. Houston offers cheap flights pretty much anywhere in the US.

Anyway, please research first--ESPECIALLY the schools to see if they are an ideal match for you.

Good Luck.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:51 AM

648 posts, read 1,617,757 times
You would hate Houston. It is boring. Yes it has a big skyline but it is like a big suburb mostly. Have you looked into Miami? It is a fabulous place. It is a tropical paradise and it is easy to avoid the gangs. Just don't get involved with gangs. You will have neverending nightlife, plenty of immigrants from Europe and Asia looking for the tropical paradise, and more parties.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:01 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
You would hate Houston. It is boring. Yes it has a big skyline but it is like a big suburb mostly. Have you looked into Miami? It is a fabulous place. It is a tropical paradise and it is easy to avoid the gangs. Just don't get involved with gangs. You will have neverending nightlife, plenty of immigrants from Europe and Asia looking for the tropical paradise, and more parties.
I suppose as far as being 'fabulous', Miami is more so than Houston. LOL

And for a late teen-early 20s person, Miami might be the scene he's looking for.

The only way for him to know is to come to the US and see for himself.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:28 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,234 times
Quote:
Houston's not a bad town. A lot of cool museums in Houston. Also, you can make a lot money in this town. Yeah, there are a lot of really friendly people here, but you can find that in every Texas city. For someone in their 20's, Austin would be way better though. If he's wanting a Southern city full of "really kind, caring and generous" people, I don't know that Miami would be the best place.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:33 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Houston's not a bad town. A lot of cool museums in Houston. Also, you can make a lot money in this town. Yeah, there are a lot of really friendly people here, but you can find that in every Texas city. For someone in their 20's, Austin would be way better though. If he's wanting a Southern city full of "really kind, caring and generous" people, I don't know that Miami would be the best place.

I would agree with you here. Houston offers the best of both worlds. Tons of culture and diversity, the weather the OP is looking for and somewhat affordable.

I chose to stay here after graduating college even though I had offers in NY, SD, Boston and Miami. Many people have done the same thing as well that I have talked to. It just offers the best overall quality of life

Old 01-09-2010, 11:40 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Many of my Aussie friends tell me that San Diego just like Perth.

I've never been to Perth myself, but San Diego is a pretty awesome city.

If you want snow, there is snow in the Higher Elevations during the winter, but you can enjoy then leave)
Surfing and Sailing are almost requisite past times.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:01 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
You would hate Houston. It is boring. Yes it has a big skyline but it is like a big suburb mostly.
Not exactly. So how much time have you spent in Houston? For someone to claim it's boring doesn't sound quite right.

Last edited by AK123; 01-09-2010 at 12:10 PM..

Old 01-09-2010, 12:16 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
NYC--you're very close to the beach, we have some snow but not nearly as much as other northern cities, there are tons of business jobs, and no other city can compare when it comes to culture/entertainment. We've also been repeatedly been called the safest big city

If you want a smaller, cheaper version of NYC, try Philadelphia. I've done the drive from Philadelphia to Atlantic City many times, and it's only about a 45 minute drive. Forget Houston, I've heard mostly bad things about there.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:24 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Forget Houston, I've heard mostly bad things about there.
But you have no experience in Houston.

IMO better for OP to get advice from people who do, not from those who have made it clear that they don't like Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.