U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 03:09 PM

75 posts, read 125,323 times

Advertisements

1 Honolulu, Hawaii Schools spend almost $9,000 per pupil, unemployment ranks less than half the national average, and you can play on the island of O'ahu's 125 beaches.
2 Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 Billings, Montana
4 Columbus, Georgia
5 San Diego, California
6 Des Moines, Iowa
7 Minneapolis, Minnesota
8 Madison, Wisconsin Madison has a high number of pediatricians per capita.
9 Colorado Springs, Colorado
10 Santa Rosa, California
11 Wichita, Kansas
12 Los Angeles, California
13 Corona, California
14 Austin, Texas
15 Stamford, Connecticut
16 Omaha, Nebraska
17 Naperville, Illinois
18 Fort Wayne, Indiana
19 Springfield, Illinois
20 Boise, Idaho
21 Manchester, New Hampshire
22 South Bay Area, California
23 New York, New York
24 Fontana, California
25 Louisville, Kentucky
26 Plano, Texas
27 Oceanside, California
28 Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
29 Sacramento, California
30 Ann Arbor, Michigan
31 Reno, Nevada
32 Las Vegas, Nevada
33 Lincoln, Nebraska
34 San Bernardino, California
35 Grand Rapids, Michigan
36 Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina Median value of a home: $202,733
37 Kansas City, Kansas
38 Fremont, California
39 Buffalo, New York
40 Berkeley, California
41 Cambridge, Massachusetts
42 Kansas City, Missouri
43 Waterbury, Connecticut
44 Syracuse, New York
45 Phoenix, Arizona
46 Albuquerque, New Mexico
47 Akron, Ohio
48 Boston, Massachusetts
49 Escondido, California
50 Fairfield, California

While searching the top cities I have found problems with gangs, traffic issues, and crime not suitable for raising a family. Basically I am looking for a safe place like somewhere you can leave your doors unlocked at night, I have always wanted to live near the ocean, hate winter with a passion and would love to get away from the cold and snowstorms.

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 03:31 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,366,973 times
I swear Des Moines is near the top of almost EVERY single list out there...

Old 01-09-2010, 04:01 PM

56,565 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforgreatweather View Post
1 Honolulu, HawaiiSchools spend almost $9,000 per pupil, unemployment ranks less than half the national average, and you can play on the island of O'ahu's 125 beaches.
3 Billings, Montana
4 Columbus, Georgia
5 San Diego, California
6 Des Moines, Iowa
7 Minneapolis, Minnesota
8 Madison, Wisconsin — Madison has a high number of pediatricians per capita.
9 Colorado Springs, Colorado
11 Wichita, Kansas
13 Corona, California
14 Austin, Texas
15 Stamford, Connecticut
16 Omaha, Nebraska
17 Naperville, Illinois
18 Fort Wayne, Indiana
19 Springfield, Illinois
20 Boise, Idaho
21 Manchester, New Hampshire
23 New York, New York
24 Fontana, California
25 Louisville, Kentucky
26 Plano, Texas
27 Oceanside, California
28 Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
29 Sacramento, California
30 Ann Arbor, Michigan
31 Reno, Nevada
32 Las Vegas, Nevada
33 Lincoln, Nebraska
35 Grand Rapids, Michigan
36 Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina — Median value of a home: $202,733
37 Kansas City, Kansas
38 Fremont, California
39 Buffalo, New York
40 Berkeley, California
41 Cambridge, Massachusetts
42 Kansas City, Missouri
43 Waterbury, Connecticut
44 Syracuse, New York
45 Phoenix, Arizona
46 Albuquerque, New Mexico
47 Akron, Ohio
48 Boston, Massachusetts
49 Escondido, California
50 Fairfield, California

While searching the top cities I have found problems with gangs, traffic issues, and crime not suitable for raising a family. Basically I am looking for a safe place like somewhere you can leave your doors unlocked at night, I have always wanted to live near the ocean, hate winter with a passion and would love to get away from the cold and snowstorms.

Thanks for any advice.
Where did you get this from? Never mind, i found it here: http://www.bestlifeonline.com/cms/pu...a_Family.shtml

Nice to see the area ranked again.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:11 PM

56,565 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Here's some lists:
Children's Health Magazine : Parents : The 100 Best (and Worst) Places to Raise a Family

In Depth: America's Best Places To Raise A Family - Forbes.com

Best Places to Raise Your Kids: 2010: Affordable, safe, and family-friendly - BusinessWeek

Best Places to Raise a Family - Best Cities to Raise Kids - CNN Money Magazine - Goodhousekeeping.com

Old 01-09-2010, 05:58 PM

86,990 posts, read 102,554,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforgreatweather View Post
1 Honolulu, Hawaii Schools spend almost $9,000 per pupil, unemployment ranks less than half the national average, and you can play on the island of O'ahu's 125 beaches.
4 Columbus, Georgia
5 San Diego, California
13 Corona, California
24 Fontana, California
27 Oceanside, California
29 Sacramento, California (Not really near the ocean, but drivable)
36 Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina Median value of a home: $202,733
38 Fremont, California
40 Berkeley, California
49 Escondido, California
50 Fairfield, California

Thanks for any advice.
I edited your list, based on your weather/geography criteria. Don't know about leaving the doors unlocked anywhere, though.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:20 PM

55 posts, read 116,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Where did you get this from? Never mind, i found it here: www.rodale.com

Nice to see the area ranked again.

I seriously doubt the legitimacy of the report since it lists Las Vegas, LA and San Bernadino as the top cities.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:51 PM

1,928 posts, read 4,631,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyw View Post
I seriously doubt the legitimacy of the report since it lists Las Vegas, LA and San Bernadino as the top cities.
Agree. I don't see Las Vegas as a place to raise a family. Don't know enough about San Bernadino, but I've heard it's got a crime problem and is not what it used to be.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:22 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,191,107 times
I can't really take this list seriously after seeing Waterbury ranked up there. It's a gritty industrial city with few amenities, economic woes, and a growing crime problem. Not really a place to raise a family at all.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:36 PM

4 posts, read 24,787 times
I'm assuming that list means suburbs of those cities (well, the larger ones). Doesn't it? I wouldn't raise a family in Kansas City, KS or MO. Last I heard KCMO's schools were still unaccredited and the superintendent wanted to close half of them. I lived in Las Vegas for a year in the 1990s, and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. There are some interesting choices, but I'd research them a lot first.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:48 PM

8,001 posts, read 16,052,716 times
Every one of these lists is different. What that tells you is that different cities fit different families needs better than others. It's stupid to take any of these lists seriously. If my family had located to Virginia Beach, VA (great city, not for me though... all of my father's side of the family is from there), I would have been MISERABLE. However, I LOVE the Boston area and would love to bring a family up here... it ranks far below VA Beach on this list. On the other hand, there are folks who would much rather raise a family in VA Beach than in Boston. Different Strokes...

As long as people have the power of opinion, there is no such thing as a "best city to raise a family." There is a best city for my family (or a handfull of them) and an ENTIRELY different best list city for someone else's family. Frankly, I like it that way. These lists are fun to post on forums and arbitrarily debate until someone takes something entirely too personally (then for the aggressor, it's mission accomplished); but no one in their right mind would relocate based on this list. It might be a nice compliment to extensive research a family has already done (or a reason to go back and do more research if your city doesn't rank so well), but that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.