U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 05:29 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,209,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killaviews View Post
I'm not saying other cities in the midwest have no good restaurants because some Chicago chefs chose coastal cities over other midwest cities.

The point I was trying to make was I would like to see more talent exchanged among midwest cities. You just mention a bunch of Milwaukee chefs that also bypassed the midwest for coastal cities. I'm advocating for keeping talent in the midwest.
I'm also about keeping talent here. Talented people should not have to automatically "defer" to certain cities to be successful. Places like Milwaukee and St. Louis are brimming with potential...yet, those cities are always overlooked, often by their own locals. It's almost like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

When I completed my masters, I decided to remain in the Midwest because I didn't want to contribute to the brain drain that seems to plague this area. I would love to see every major city in the Great Lakes region return to prominence--but that starts with having an educated, diversified population base from which to build a foundation for success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 05:45 AM

3,077 posts, read 5,452,941 times
I know a few people here in Michigan who only think of Chicago as "that place that I will avoid driving through at all costs when I am traveling by car to somewhere fun."

Old 01-21-2010, 09:36 AM

11,177 posts, read 22,384,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I know a few people here in Michigan who only think of Chicago as "that place that I will avoid driving through at all costs when I am traveling by car to somewhere fun."
Oh believe me - when anyone is driving out of the city for a weekend in Wisconsin or Michigan, Chicago immediately becomes "that place that I will avoid driving through at all costs".

I don't have a car, and don't deal with any of the stress of driving except a few times a year. Every time though, it's 50 miles of GET ME OUT OF HERE.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:49 AM

5,522 posts, read 12,292,026 times
Check out the urbanophile blog, specifically these posts: The Urbanophile Blog Archive Replay: Chicago Corporate Headquarters and the Global City and http://www.urbanophile.com/2009/02/1...itan-linkages/

Aaron Renn is a smart guy who blogs about urban issues with a special focus on the Midwest.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:14 PM

7,836 posts, read 19,579,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killaviews View Post
The chef's you mentioned, did they get there start in Chicago or some other midwest city?

You just mention a bunch of Milwaukee chefs that also bypassed the midwest for coastal cities. I'm advocating for keeping talent in the midwest.
All the chef's I mentioned got their start in Milwaukee except for one. Then they open restaurants in coastal cities meanwhile having the majority of their restaurants here in Milwaukee and they still live here. The chef that moved from NYC to Milwaukee to start up his own restaurants and now lives here.

None of the chef's I mentioned bypassed the midwest at all. They all live in Milwaukee but have restaurants all over the US but majority of their restaurants are here in Milwaukee.

Some of the chefs went to school overseas and landed their first job in NYC then came back to Milwaukee and have been here for majority of their professional career.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:52 PM

8,341 posts, read 14,106,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Oh believe me - when anyone is driving out of the city for a weekend in Wisconsin or Michigan, Chicago immediately becomes "that place that I will avoid driving through at all costs".

I don't have a car, and don't deal with any of the stress of driving except a few times a year. Every time though, it's 50 miles of GET ME OUT OF HERE.
Truer words have never been spoke. I wish I could find another way to Milwaukee.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:58 PM

5,837 posts, read 10,791,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

I don't know. Of all the things that people can complain about Chicago, I have gotten stuck in bad traffic jams in every 2 million plus metro area I've ever driven through, its the same everywhere.

The only area that is bad almost 24/7 is within two miles of the Loop, and the Hillside strangler on the Ike (around the Mannheim exits). Everywhere else moves outside of rush hour.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:11 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,143,318 times
^Not that cluster**** near the Indiana border!

Old 01-21-2010, 10:10 PM

87 posts, read 61,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
-

I don't live in Chicago, and never have,

The constant ripping of Chicago by a couple of posters definitely brings out someone like me, to defend Chicago.

First let me say that it seems that many people who post on these forums are quite young, and inexperienced with the cities that they claim to know about.

So um, you are defending a place, that you have never lived or worked, because some people you knew got their MBAs there and supposedly have a "good life". Good life in whose opinion? Did they sit down with you and tell you...
"You know NowIn, we are soooo livin the good life there in the Windy City. Everything is comin up roses! Just waxed the Beamer you know. We have our MBAs after all, and really have it goin on as you kids say"

Your trying to defend Chicago, as you said you were doing for some odd reason^^ is farrrrrr less credible than the bashing of it by someone like me who had to actually endure that crap for decades. I had the good job. Stressful as it was, but paid well. Great benies. Even great clients and associates whom with I am still good friends. The whole Chicago Enchilada was mine for a lonngggg while Now. That was not the part of Chicago that I couldnt stand. It's the blatent gall of the leaders and the stupidity of the people who vote them in time after time after time.. Some people, like maybe your friends, are totally oblivious until one day they are over a barrel like so many people in Chicago and these other large cites end up because of the politicians who are allowed to be basically CRIMINALS. And it is far worse in Chicago than most cities. Not all but most.
That extreme situation did not happen to me personally, although the city was a drain on us in many ways, but it happens far too often there and many people who were close to our family had their lives basically ruined over time... and they all point to the same thing...the way of life in Chicago and the politics, ultimately. It gets as old as my ranting about it. Thats how bad it can really be haha. But if my message of disdain gets through to one poor soul on this data forum, that message would be to enjoy Chicago but from afar until they get that city working for the people again. Dont bother with living in that mess or New York or San Fran or even L.A. unless you want to be penniless by the time you are 70, if you live that long. Those houses in Lake Forest are a facade as well as the skyscrapers downtown. The vast amount of dubiousness beyond that facade is a game that the house always wins.

Negative information is still information.

Last edited by pam21; 01-21-2010 at 10:29 PM..

Old 01-22-2010, 10:26 AM

2,601 posts, read 4,074,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam21 View Post
First let me say that it seems that many people who post on these forums are quite young, and inexperienced with the cities that they claim to know about.

So um, you are defending a place, that you have never lived or worked, because some people you knew got their MBAs there and supposedly have a "good life". Good life in whose opinion? Did they sit down with you and tell you...
"You know NowIn, we are soooo livin the good life there in the Windy City. Everything is comin up roses! Just waxed the Beamer you know. We have our MBAs after all, and really have it goin on as you kids say"

Your trying to defend Chicago, as you said you were doing for some odd reason^^ is farrrrrr less credible than the bashing of it by someone like me who had to actually endure that crap for decades. I had the good job. Stressful as it was, but paid well. Great benies. Even great clients and associates whom with I am still good friends. The whole Chicago Enchilada was mine for a lonngggg while Now. That was not the part of Chicago that I couldnt stand. It's the blatent gall of the leaders and the stupidity of the people who vote them in time after time after time.. Some people, like maybe your friends, are totally oblivious until one day they are over a barrel like so many people in Chicago and these other large cites end up because of the politicians who are allowed to be basically CRIMINALS. And it is far worse in Chicago than most cities. Not all but most.
That extreme situation did not happen to me personally, although the city was a drain on us in many ways, but it happens far too often there and many people who were close to our family had their lives basically ruined over time... and they all point to the same thing...the way of life in Chicago and the politics, ultimately. It gets as old as my ranting about it. Thats how bad it can really be haha. But if my message of disdain gets through to one poor soul on this data forum, that message would be to enjoy Chicago but from afar until they get that city working for the people again. Dont bother with living in that mess or New York or San Fran or even L.A. unless you want to be penniless by the time you are 70, if you live that long. Those houses in Lake Forest are a facade as well as the skyscrapers downtown. The vast amount of dubiousness beyond that facade is a game that the house always wins.

Negative information is still information.
Where do I begin with this. First of all, if you consider someone in their late 50's young, then thanks. I admitted that I never lived in Chicago, but I have siblings, nieces and nephews, and a lot of friends that do. I stand by the statements I have made, because they're the truth. I'm not going to make fun of the people I know with MBAs from Booth and Kellogg, because I'm very proud of what they've accomplished. That they choose to stay in Chicago, is a real testament to that city, because they could choose to be anywhere. You questioned if we talk about their lives. My answer is yes, yes we do. We have long, deep conversations that go up one side and down the other.

Chicago didn't work out for you. I'm sorry. There are other people that feel the same way you do. Conversely, there are people who love living in Chicago. Chicago politics aren't good, but politics in general aren't good. I can't imagine how the political machine of Chicago could have impacted your life so negatively. My family doesn't like the politics (do we talk about this - yes, we do), but the quality of life they are living is why they stay. The grass isn't always greener.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.