U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 05:29 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,319,091 times

Advertisements

St Louisans tend to love Chicago, it's only a 4 hour drive, so we go there quite often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 02:51 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,119,106 times
People in St. Louis do have an odd relationship with Chicago. I think part of it was how a couple of alternate decisions concerning the Railroads and if there was no Civil War, St. Louis would of been the main city of the central US.

One group that is real bitter at Chicago are people from Southern Illinois and plays greatly in state politics. It is also at the point at times where people contemplate forming their own state. (one of the most likely canidites for any state splitting in the future)

Old 01-06-2011, 11:28 AM

6 posts, read 6,231 times
I agree: Chicago definitely tends to assume that the rest of the so-called 'Midwest' thinks much more about Chicago than they actually do. I find this particulary so in the eastern Midwest: i.e. Cleveland, Detroit.

Clevelanders, for instance, stand at the cusp of the Northeast and Midwest and there is a far greater association with things culturally 'East' than 'Midwest'. Cleveland and its suburban area have more in common with Upstate New York (Buffalo, Rochester) geographically, culturally, physically, ethnically, psychologically than, say, Chicago. The psychological aspect may be partially due to the fact that Cleveland, and Detroit, lie in the Eastern Time Zone. But beyond time, cities 'east' of Chicago tend to think 'East'. They tend to follow 'East' and have theirs hands "on the pulse" of what is happening there, and not at all in Chicago. Clevelanders are relatively self-assured of their Eastern-ness and I always found that Chicagoans were confounded (perhaps, jealous) by that. Chicago feels that their city should be the center of gravitational pull for a region that is more diverse and fractured.

I am a native Clevelander but have lived elsewhere for the last 22 years in the following locations:

New York (12 years), Washington, DC (8 years), London, UK (2 years), and Chicago (1 year)

My time in Chicago was split into two 6-month blocks (1989) & (2006). The city had significantly changed in those years, yet in 2006, I was shocked at how 'self-referential' the city still was. Although pleasant, clean, and reasonably sophisticated, it still 'felt' off-the-rader and a bit 'pale'. Strangely 'pale' was a word that peskily came to mind frequently, and this, after really finding the city quite pleasant. I made a concerted effort to relocate to Chicago from New York for quality of life and cost of living reasons and had planned to live there more-or-less permanantly and longterm.

Truth be told, my mind says that I really like Chicago, and there are things I actually love about it--affordability, friendliness, etc.., but my gut tells me that there's also an inferiority complex that makes the city feel relatively closed to 'non-Midwestern' or 'non-Chicago' points of view. And when I say non-Midwestern, I mean anyone from places beyond their 'acceptable catchment' areas of Iowa, Wisconsin, Indiana, and Missouri. I suspect people from those places seem non-threatening or something. As an architect, it was the most frustratingly conventional place to practice--and that was also an unfortunate surprise. Chicago designers were the absolute most arrogant people I have ever work this--mind you, I've worked in New York and London--so that was a real turn-off. While there, I was perceived as the 'New Yorker', not the Clevelander, but outsiders in general (i.e. non-Catchment Area types) were viewed with great suspicion. I was just trying to work hard and do my thing, but just felt like outside the loop. I've never felt that way in any other place I've lived--including the UK. In New York and Washington, DC--two places that host loads of ex-Clevelanders and Midwesterns from all regions, I've felt welcomed and part of the mix immediately. These cities tend to celebrate regional/cultural/ethnic/theoretical difference. Seems counterintuitive that Chicago doesn't feel that way as well. For that, my experiences with Chicago remains rather ood and disappointing.

I have since left Chicago (in 2007) and returned to New York. I frequently think back at how pleasant my life in Chicago was--assoundingly affordable (living on Michigan Avenue at the John Hancock!) and good times in all seasons. Yet I must say that one of my most salient memories of the city remains: How can a place with such potential not 'really' take its place in the world? Truth be told, I think it all goes back to that lack of openness. Many Easterners or foreigners that I'd met felt the same in Chicago...that it was more-or-less an open playground, no fantasyland, for a certain type of Midwestern but Others tended to feel a bit, out-of-place.

Self-referential--that's Chicago--to it's very own detriment.

Last edited by mtymty; 01-06-2011 at 11:40 AM..

Old 01-06-2011, 11:53 AM

4,138 posts, read 4,166,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post

Again, many large cities do have superiority complexes, but I've never seen anything on the level of a Chicago.

That's a strange comment coming from a New Yorker.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:35 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,210,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
That's a strange comment coming from a New Yorker.
Thanks. I moved to Queens from Fort Wayne a couple of months ago, and I just love my new borough.

As was already mentioned, large cities in general tend to have superiority complexes. The critical difference is that, in my experience, New York as a whole does not assume "ownership" of the Northeast in the same way that Chicago does for the Midwest, which is interesting given the fact that New York is much larger and has fewer big cities in its region.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:35 PM

4,138 posts, read 4,166,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Thanks. I moved to Queens from Fort Wayne a couple of months ago, and I just love my new borough.

As was already mentioned, large cities in general tend to have superiority complexes. The critical difference is that, in my experience, New York as a whole does not assume "ownership" of the Northeast in the same way that Chicago does for the Midwest, which is interesting given the fact that New York is much larger and has fewer big cities in its region.
New Yorkers assume ownership of the world and there are several large cities in its' region. Have you ever heard of Philadelphia, Boston and Washington DC? Anyway, it sounds like you have a problem with Chicago. Most of what you are posting is rather silly and makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited by Chicago South Sider; 01-06-2011 at 01:46 PM..

Old 01-06-2011, 03:25 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,210,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
New Yorkers assume ownership of the world and there are several large cities in its' region. Have you ever heard of Philadelphia, Boston and Washington DC?
You have clearly taken my post out of context. I will not allow you to do that.
Quote:
Anyway, it sounds like you have a problem with Chicago. Most of what you are posting is rather silly and makes no sense whatsoever.
If what I said is silly and makes no sense, why would you respond?

Old 01-06-2011, 03:30 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,411,269 times
What an odd question... tons of long-time Chicagoans have very deep roots attaching them to, say, people in other parts of the state (IL). For instance, half of my own family is from the very rural area near Freeport, IL, but lots of them have lived in (downtown) Chicago since the nineteenth century. I suppose the ones *least* likely to have these sorts of connections would be the more recent arrivals who identify very strongly with their given ethnic neighborhoods, for instance.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:51 PM

1,954 posts, read 4,508,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtymty View Post
I agree: Chicago definitely tends to assume that the rest of the so-called 'Midwest' thinks much more about Chicago than they actually do. I find this particulary so in the eastern Midwest: i.e. Cleveland, Detroit.

Clevelanders, for instance, stand at the cusp of the Northeast and Midwest and there is a far greater association with things culturally 'East' than 'Midwest'. Cleveland and its suburban area have more in common with Upstate New York (Buffalo, Rochester) geographically, culturally, physically, ethnically, psychologically than, say, Chicago. The psychological aspect may be partially due to the fact that Cleveland, and Detroit, lie in the Eastern Time Zone. But beyond time, cities 'east' of Chicago tend to think 'East'. They tend to follow 'East' and have theirs hands "on the pulse" of what is happening there, and not at all in Chicago. Clevelanders are relatively self-assured of their Eastern-ness and I always found that Chicagoans were confounded (perhaps, jealous) by that. Chicago feels that their city should be the center of gravitational pull for a region that is more diverse and fractured.
I'm from NE Ohio, live in Chicago, and agree with you about Cleveland, but not Detroit. People from Detroit, and Michigan in general, seem to flock to Chicago in large numbers. I think this has especially accelerated over the last decade or so. I think Detroit definitely looks toward Chicago over the Northeast. Parts of Chicago could practically be little Michigan. They even recently built a Detroit style coney island hot dog shop here on Southport Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtymty View Post
...that it was more-or-less an open playground, no fantasyland, for a certain type of Midwestern but Others tended to feel a bit, out-of-place.

Self-referential--that's Chicago--to it's very own detriment.
I think there is some truth to this. Naturally so, since it's the big dog of its region.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:39 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,811,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
If the cities of the midwest were compared to a family, Detoilet would be an illegitimate red headed step child that everyone kicks around. Detroit is the armpit of the midwest, well at least it fights Gary Indiana for that title.
danielj72 keep my city out of you mouth. You have your ****ing nerve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.