U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:05 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,810,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I'm from NE Ohio, live in Chicago, and agree with you about Cleveland, but not Detroit. People from Detroit, and Michigan in general, seem to flock to Chicago in large numbers. I think this has especially accelerated over the last decade or so. I think Detroit definitely looks toward Chicago over the Northeast. Parts of Chicago could practically be little Michigan. They even recently built a Detroit style coney island hot dog shop here on Southport Ave.

I think there is some truth to this. Naturally so, since it's the big dog of its region.
correction: Detroiters don't look up to Chicago. We may like, some even love (like myself) Chicago because we feel as if its a "sister city" more than anything NOT because we look to it the end of all means for a great city in the midwest (like many Chicagoans believe). Western MI people tend to look up to Chicago because outside of maybe Grand Rapids there's not much of a "big city" in WM and too many of them have this little negative idea of Detroit so they look to Chicago. Chicagoans and Detroiters tend to have that "sibling rivalry" thing, especially with the black community. But in the end most Detroiters (from my experience) would just rather live in Detroit....the main thing making that impossible is lack of jobs. Even with crime being high I know many Detroiters who go through the relocating and moving back cycle and most move for jobs then come back because they are homesick.

Stop thinking the grass is greener on the other side! As much as I love Chicago I would never live there, or anywhere else for that matter, as long as Detroit is still holding on.

and to the people like Danielj if you don't like a place thats fine but you don't have to be an ass and disrespectful either smh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 12:30 AM

1,005 posts, read 2,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
Chicago is by far the biggest and most "powerful" city in the Midwest. However, the other major cities in it's region have their stake as well.

My question is, how does Chicago, the government, the citizens, or the city as a whole, relate to it's Midwestern relatives? As a big brother, a father, a fun uncle, or a loud mouthed Mudder-in-law who doesn't give them no respect?

And elaborate on your answer, by explaining why and how Chicago acts this way.
As one who visits Chicago nearly twice a month I agree that Chicago is the most dynamic and influential city within the midwest. It relates to the other cites very well besides it just times more larger.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:30 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,056,995 times
I think Minneapolis has a somewhat atypical relationship with Chicago compared to other Midwestern cities (although maybe Detroit is similar).

The Twin Cities and Minneapolis in particular have their own aspirations of grandeur, Chicago is a nice city but it really is not that important to us. Our best and brightest don't move there to make it. All the stuff that they have, we have too, they just have more of it. Nobody I know feels like they are missing anything by living here rather than Chicago. People from Chicago move here to have a better life. So there is no insecurity. Infact there are plenty of people here who quietly believe that Minneapolis is the better city.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 01-07-2011 at 01:45 AM..

Old 01-07-2011, 02:36 AM

4,028 posts, read 6,399,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
New Yorkers assume ownership of the world and there are several large cities in its' region. Have you ever heard of Philadelphia, Boston and Washington DC? Anyway, it sounds like you have a problem with Chicago. Most of what you are posting is rather silly and makes no sense whatsoever.
Don't worry about this poster, he has a problem with Chicago.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:43 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,988,577 times
Chicago seems to have more of a relationship to Milwaukee and the Twin Cities. I recall we always went to the Wisconsin State Fair since it was closer in Milwaukee, and would occasionally drive up there for things. Always vacationed in Wisconsin.

The Twin Cities apparently had some close business relations or transporation relations with Chicago. The three main railroads that connected these cities, the Northwestern, Burlington Route, and Milwaulkee Road, were very competetive for this passenger traffic, running competing streamliners, some of which clocked in at 100 MPH on stretches. This was a "high speed rail" connection for it's time.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:34 AM

3,625 posts, read 7,173,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
correction: Detroiters don't look up to Chicago. We may like, some even love (like myself) Chicago because we feel as if its a "sister city" more than anything NOT because we look to it the end of all means for a great city in the midwest (like many Chicagoans believe). Western MI people tend to look up to Chicago because outside of maybe Grand Rapids there's not much of a "big city" in WM and too many of them have this little negative idea of Detroit so they look to Chicago. Chicagoans and Detroiters tend to have that "sibling rivalry" thing, especially with the black community. But in the end most Detroiters (from my experience) would just rather live in Detroit....the main thing making that impossible is lack of jobs. Even with crime being high I know many Detroiters who go through the relocating and moving back cycle and most move for jobs then come back because they are homesick.

Stop thinking the grass is greener on the other side! As much as I love Chicago I would never live there, or anywhere else for that matter, as long as Detroit is still holding on.

and to the people like Danielj if you don't like a place thats fine but you don't have to be an ass and disrespectful either smh
Yep everything u said is true esp the bolded. lol
mas23

Old 01-07-2011, 07:06 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,297,248 times
Chicago does not seem that interrelated with other midwestern cities. I grew up in Lake Forest and a good deal of friends I have know nothing about even WI, much less the rest of the midwest. My mother knows more about New England than she does about Illinois south of 80.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:27 AM

1,954 posts, read 4,507,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post

I was not really saying that most people from Detroit look up to Chicago as the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it's obvious that they do move here in large numbers. And by Detroit I mean Metro Detroit, becaue most of the Detroit area transplants to Chicago are white-collar white people who came here after college. The amount of people here from Michigan universities is quite large. Also, I was contrasting it to Clevelanders, who tend to look to and move to the East Coast more because they are on the fringe of the Midwest.

Your comments about W. Michigan seem pretty true. The Chicago influence over there is very strong from my observations.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Yep everything u said is true esp the bolded. lol
mas23
I just see a lot of comments from WM people on here talking about Chicago like its the end all. Maybe because they are closer idk

Old 01-07-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I was not really saying that most people from Detroit look up to Chicago as the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it's obvious that they do move here in large numbers. And by Detroit I mean Metro Detroit, becaue most of the Detroit area transplants to Chicago are white-collar white people who came here after college. The amount of people here from Michigan universities is quite large. Also, I was contrasting it to Clevelanders, who tend to look to and move to the East Coast more because they are on the fringe of the Midwest.

Your comments about W. Michigan seem pretty true. The Chicago influence over there is very strong from my observations.
oh ok I think more Metro Detroiters move to Chicago while more people from the city move to ATL. The main reason being for jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.