U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-15-2010, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
4,028 posts, read 6,396,810 times
Reputation: 1305

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I sure have.

I fondly remember Super Bowl XLI and the endless derogatory remarks aimed at the city of Indianapolis, and its citizens--not even the team itself. Over a freaking football game. And this is just the first thing I can think of from off the top of my head. Of course, it didn't work out too well for them in the end.

Again, many large cities do have superiority complexes, but I've never seen anything on the level of a Chicago.
You are basing you vision of Chicagoans from a football game?

If that were true then everyone from Green Bay has a huge complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
You live in Chicago. You are in here defending Chicago.

Those of us who don't live in Chicago have a different perspective. Sure, you USED to not live in Chicago, but you do now. As such, your perspective is changed. There is a difference between a Chicagoan who is not from Chicago and a person such as myself that has never lived in Chicago at all.

I know more than a few current and former Chicagoans. All of them, universally, are literaly shocked when I explain that I don't really think of Chicago at all. I am not making that up.

I have had one friend from Chicago say to a friend of mine, "You will never find a worthy husband in Indiana." He then droned on about Chicago.

You don't see that because you are one of them.
I believe it's more of the people you associate with than what you think of Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2010, 02:43 PM
 
11,172 posts, read 22,369,908 times
Reputation: 10924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
You live in Chicago. You are in here defending Chicago.

Those of us who don't live in Chicago have a different perspective. Sure, you USED to not live in Chicago, but you do now. As such, your perspective is changed. There is a difference between a Chicagoan who is not from Chicago and a person such as myself that has never lived in Chicago at all.

I know more than a few current and former Chicagoans. All of them, universally, are literaly shocked when I explain that I don't really think of Chicago at all. I am not making that up.

I have had one friend from Chicago say to a friend of mine, "You will never find a worthy husband in Indiana." He then droned on about Chicago.

You don't see that because you are one of them.
Actually I think it would be that I don't see it because I'm NONE of them in regards to the people you're referencing, and apparently my friends aren't either. It must just be different crowds. I expect other areas of the Midwest to "care" about my city about as much as I probably care about theirs on a daily basis. Unless I'm visiting or know people there - it's just some other place.

It's strange that group is universally SHOCKED that you don't really care about Chicago. If you're not involved in the city - why would you? Growing up in Iowa, I couldn't have given two ****'s about Chicago. All I'm saying is most people I know in Chicago really don't care about the rest of the Midwest, and I don't see people making comments that anyone else needs to be caring about us. As far as Chicago's relationship with the Midwest: It's a much larger city than anywhere else in the Midwest, and it has a very inward looking perspective because of the size and disparity to the rest of the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2010, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,799,437 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
..... and it has a very inward looking perspective because of the size and disparity to the rest of the region.
True, but I've noticed that this causes many of the natives to appear shockingly ignorant of things outside Chicagoland, which would seem to be a weird trait for a city trying to assert itself as world-class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 01:16 AM
 
11,172 posts, read 22,369,908 times
Reputation: 10924
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
True, but I've noticed that this causes many of the natives to appear shockingly ignorant of things outside Chicagoland, which would seem to be a weird trait for a city trying to assert itself as world-class.
Not saying Chicago is the poster child of World Class, but honestly I think the trait of being shockingly ignorant of things outside your city is a huge factor in a city being thought of or thinking of itself as World Class........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 04:42 AM
 
4 posts, read 4,803 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I've really never heard anyone in this city dwell or comment on other Midwest cities "caring" a lot about Chicago. This city has enough crap going on and enough issues that it's fairly insular.

Most people here tend to think about Midwest metros in much the same way they'd think about Southern, Eastern or Western areas. Most people I know in Chicago will just fly anywhere they want to go if it's not within two hours driving, so be it Minneapolis, Kansas City, Dallas or DC it really makes no difference.

The only Midwest metros that I would say have a relationship with Chicago would be Milwaukee, Madison, and St. Louis. Those are the places that people here can rationally drive to, and I here come up much more than anywhere else.

Maybe other areas such in neighboring states have special views on Chicago compared to other Midwest cities, but in Chicago there really is a lack of recognition. That said though most of my friends here have friends/relatives in other areas of the Midwest that come to visit, and it's almost universally a positive experience. They love visiting, we love having them visit. Certainly no contempt, and I don't know why you'd put someone down just because they're from Iowa or Wisconsin or downstate. I think I'd have to re-evaluate my relationship with those individuals and their personalities as opposed to just blaming it on the fact they live in Chicago.
Indianapolis as well. I'm near Dayton/COlumbus Ohio. WHich technically is not in the Midwest technically not in the east. If you say Great Lakes states. Then CHicago is not in the Midwest anymore. So I mostly identify with the Appalachian region which has it's northern border a few counties to my S/SE. That said there is a similarity to the blue collar nature of CHicago to all the other metros on/near the Great Lakes. Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Buffalo, Detroit, Toledo, Akron/Canton/Youngstown, Green Bay, Milwaukee, Gary. They all have a commonality.

But really Chicago is so diverse because of it's size. I guess I really see it more with NY & LA as the big 3 American cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 06:13 AM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,340 posts, read 14,097,157 times
Reputation: 5958
This from the Indianapolis forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportzfn View Post
The Cubs are a fun team to be a fun of. Greatest fans in sports, best ballpark, and after the game you get to enjoy the greatest city in the world.. Sure beats going to one of these little hickvilles that "claims to be a baseball town", where their ballpark is almost always half empty, even on nice days, and even when they've had good teams.
Just sayin....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 11:51 AM
 
87 posts, read 61,573 times
Reputation: 29
I think the rest of the midwest views Chicago as a big city with big city problems, big city culture, big city amenities, and big city attitudes. It has alot of history that touches other parts of the midwest. It's a place to visit mostly, but the vast majority of midwesterners I've ever met would NEVER want to live there. It's kind of viewed as "that mess in Illinois"

As for Chicago, they seem to care less about other places in the midwest. Many Chicagoans I've met will minimize or stereotype other midwestern places for whatever reason. Inferiorty complex? Which is ironic because they think they are not as narrowminded as other small places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 02:07 PM
 
11,172 posts, read 22,369,908 times
Reputation: 10924
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam21 View Post
Many Chicagoans I've met will minimize or stereotype other midwestern places for whatever reason. Inferiorty complex? Which is ironic because they think they are not as narrowminded as other small places.
You think Chicagoans writing off the rest of the Midwest is an inferiority complex? I've noticed almost all larger and more powerful cities will tend to write off and sterotype other smaller or "less important" areas around them. LA, New York, Atlanta, etc. Their residents will tend to minimize or sterotype Midwestern cities, as well as rural or stagnant areas within their regions. That's not the standard definition of an inferiority complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Maryland
4,265 posts, read 5,477,295 times
Reputation: 4594
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam21 View Post
It's kind of viewed as "that mess in Illinois"
I'd think Chicago should be more viewed as an aspiration for other midwestern cities to look up to rather than it being viewed as a mess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2010, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,799,437 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I'd think Chicago should be more viewed as an aspiration for other midwestern cities to look up to rather than it being viewed as a mess...
Not necessarily. Consider the political corruption, resulting level of taxation and crumbling infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top