U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2010, 10:59 PM
 
87 posts, read 61,573 times
Reputation: 29

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I think you're confusing the two.

An inferiority complex means that an individual (or, in this case, city) has extreme feelings of inadequacy or mediocrity, often unfounded.

A superiority complex suggests that there's a sense of exaggerated self-importance, arrogance, etc directed towards others and used as a means to conceal true feelings of inferiority. In this example, Chicago obviously falls under the latter definition.

If the latter includes concealing an inferiority complex, then I'll agree that is accurate. My bad. Chicagoans are some of the most overreactive people (to criticism) I've ever met. Even your run of the mill lowlife from Chicago talks alot of trash about others' homelands. And why?
Especially when you mention two dirty little words: New York
(Now a Chicagoan will make his oh so funny joke about how the streets of New York are filled with trash and Chicago is supposedly some spotless paradise) I still think Chicago leans toward the former, because outside of these forums, Chicago has major image problems, and they show it in their attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2010, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Mequon, WI
7,835 posts, read 19,567,727 times
Reputation: 4430
Well based upon the amount of Chi-Bashers Chicago receives via CDF, one could make the assessment that Chicago's relatives are the ones with inferiority complex rather than Chicago with the superiority complex. I don't think any other city receives as much trolling as Chicago does or maybe it's just the same person still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 11:07 PM
 
87 posts, read 61,573 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Milwaukee and Chicago get along great, ever been to a Brewers-Cubs game?
I cannot stand Cubs fans. They are one of the many things that ruined the Chicago mystique for me.
I will root for the White Sox any day over those bums. Even the Brewers is a better organization and its been around only a relatively short time, and has a lower payroll I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 11:11 PM
 
2,248 posts, read 6,206,342 times
Reputation: 2078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Well based upon the amount of Chi-Bashers Chicago receives via CDF, one could make the assessment that Chicago's relatives are the ones with inferiority complex rather than Chicago with the superiority complex. I don't think any other city receives as much trolling as Chicago does or maybe it's just the same person still.
There are FAR more Chicago a$$ kissers on this forum than trolls. In fact, much of that drama was caused by the same troll; he had like five screennames.

I've seen posts where people, having never even visited Chicago, praise it to the high heavens "just because". These are the same ones who bash places like St. Louis and Detroit, without also having ever visited, "just because".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 11:12 PM
 
2,248 posts, read 6,206,342 times
Reputation: 2078
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam21 View Post
I cannot stand Cubs fans. They are one of the many things that ruined the Chicago mystique for me.
I will root for the White Sox any day over those bums. Even the Brewers is a better organization and its been around only a relatively short time, and has a lower payroll I think.
Oh yeah--Cubs fans are the worst. Trust me, I used to follow the Tigers and Yankees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 11:15 PM
 
87 posts, read 61,573 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Well based upon the amount of Chi-Bashers Chicago receives via CDF, one could make the assessment that Chicago's relatives are the ones with inferiority complex rather than Chicago with the superiority complex. I don't think any other city receives as much trolling as Chicago does or maybe it's just the same person still.
No. Chicago boosters and blathermouths have far more presence on here than any trolls. And why would we base anything solely on what is read in this forum?
The vast majority of Chicago's relatives are quite happy to not live in a city like Chicago, but merely enjoy visiting and leaving.
If someone is truly great (and Chicago most certainly overexaggerates that to no end) if someone is truly great they dont go around saying how great they are. If you were locked in a room with a person who constantly went on and on for hours about how great they are compared to you, odds are that youd strangle the corksucker. That is alot of Chicagoans in the real world, and luckily fro them they are not locked in a room with me while singin the praises of a place that I lived and got the hell out of. It may be hard to be humble for some, but in the real world most of us give it a try.

Last edited by pam21; 01-19-2010 at 11:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 11:21 PM
 
Location: Chicago
15,587 posts, read 23,193,163 times
Reputation: 1761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I think it's more of a superiority complex.

Chicagoans seem to enjoy one-upping each other for various reasons, too. Here's a typical conversation:

Person A from Chicago: "Yeah, I went to St. Paul last month and it was so cold!"
Person B from Chicago: "I bet it wasn't as cold as Chicago. Why were you there in the first place?"
Person A: "I had a job interview. In fact, just last week they contacted me and told me I got the job."
Person B: "Uh...why would anyone leave Chicago for St. Paul? There's plenty of jobs here."
Person A: "I just prefer the quality of life in the Twin Cities."
Person B: [head explodes]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
That is retarded. Sorry, there's just no other word for your post.

I wish I could rep you right now Steve-O. Your thoughts are the same as what ran through my head when I read that stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 11:25 PM
 
87 posts, read 61,573 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I wish I could rep you right now Steve-O. Your thoughts are the same as what ran through my head when I read that stupidity.

You would be the one to recognize stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 11:30 PM
 
Location: Mequon, WI
7,835 posts, read 19,567,727 times
Reputation: 4430
Quote:
The vast majority of Chicago's relatives are quite happy to not live in a city like Chicago, but merely enjoy visiting and leaving.
I think they be the majority of the older generation. It seems people of my age(mid20's) would love to live in Chicago. I think a lot of people in other cities around Chicago are intimidated by Chicago and not being familiar with Chicago and never going their they tend to not like it. Except the once a year trip. I believe if people actually gave Chicago a chance and instead of having a bias or a predisposition of hate towards it they actually might enjoy Chicago. It doesn't take 6 hours to go from one side of town to the other and not every one is rude and housing isn't the most expensive in the world and it's not all crime ridden and cheeseburgers don't cost 27 dollars in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2010, 11:31 PM
 
Location: Mequon, WI
7,835 posts, read 19,567,727 times
Reputation: 4430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I think it's more of a superiority complex.

Chicagoans seem to enjoy one-upping each other for various reasons, too. Here's a typical conversation:

Person A from Chicago: "Yeah, I went to St. Paul last month and it was so cold!"
Person B from Chicago: "I bet it wasn't as cold as Chicago. Why were you there in the first place?"
Person A: "I had a job interview. In fact, just last week they contacted me and told me I got the job."
Person B: "Uh...why would anyone leave Chicago for St. Paul? There's plenty of jobs here."
Person A: "I just prefer the quality of life in the Twin Cities."
Person B: [head explodes]
Although I disagree with this statement it still is pretty funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top