U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:51 PM

87 posts, read 61,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I think they be the majority of the older generation. It seems people of my age(mid20's) would love to live in Chicago. I think a lot of people in other cities around Chicago are intimidated by Chicago and not being familiar with Chicago and never going their they tend to not like it. Except the once a year trip. I believe if people actually gave Chicago a chance and instead of having a bias or a predisposition of hate towards it they actually might enjoy Chicago. It doesn't take 6 hours to go from one side of town to the other and not every one is rude and housing isn't the most expensive in the world and it's not all crime ridden and cheeseburgers don't cost 27 dollars in Chicago.

You are way off. Disliking big cities as a home base is not a generational thing. It's a preference. I know plenty of young people who are simply not into living in large cities other than to visit and party for a while. There is no predisposition of hate by anyone Ive ever met, in Milwaukee or anywhere else. It's not like Chicago is some intimidating place thats impossible to live in like New York. Its very affordable for college students and young professionals. If they wanted to be there they'd be there. And many are there. The reasons that alot of people don't like it are the obvious...heavy commuting, having to rely on train schedules, overcrowding, etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 11:59 PM

7,836 posts, read 19,577,352 times
One of the reason's I would love to move to Chicago is that it's a lot bigger than Milwaukee. Some people like living in a high density areas such as myself. The blue line and red line run 24/7 so I don't see an issue there. Heavy commuting if you live 60 miles away but when you can walk to work who cares.

There is a reason most of the world lives in cities.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:

There is a reason most of the world lives in cities.

Cities? ....or did you mean overcrowded corrupt large metropolis like Chicago? please clarify.

More power to you if you can somehow sing the praises about living in a city that you've never lived in.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam21 View Post
Cities? or did you mean overcrowded corrupt large cities like Chicago? please clarify.

More power to you if you can somehow sing the praises about living in a city that you've never lived in.
Wake up and smell your pot smoke, whether it's small town or big city corruption most politics consist of greasing someones back.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Wake up and smell your pot smoke, whether it's small town or big city corruption most politics consist of greasing someones back.

In Chicago the only ones who don't get "greased" are the non politicians. The city will continue to find new and inventive ways to remove you from your money. And if you think what you get in return is something great, by all means go live there. Some people love to think that being near all that stuff enriches their life. Others of us realize that it will always be there when we need it.

But then again, why am I talking to you about this. You are a pro Chicago lackie who doesn t even live there.
Have you ever lived there? For 20 odd years?

Back to the topic. You are in the VAST minority when it comes to most midwesterners relationship with Chicago. And no, the rest of the midwest are not avoiding Chicago or intimidated or whatever other ridiculous claims you made. Some people have what is called "a preference" and its not determined by you. You do not speak for all 20 somehtings, nor do any other posters on city data. Some people just do not like to live in gigantic cities, and furthermore, some people who actually have experience with Chicago have found that its quite an annoying city in which to live.

Last edited by pam21; 01-20-2010 at 12:30 AM..

Old 01-20-2010, 12:22 AM

No I haven't lived there! I live in Milwaukee where we have our own scandals and crooked politicians. How are things in Alden?

Old 01-20-2010, 12:38 AM

Good! Then you will be primed for 10 times worse once you live in Chicago. In fact, you will also have 10 times more culture, 1000 times more restaurants, etc. and you will pay for it all... maybe even gratefully. Then, maybe...just maybe..you will realize, as so many thousands of people have in the last 50 or so years, that Chicago is not all its cracked up to be. Its nicer to experience in smaller doses, for some. You'd think I would not need to explain something like this to a Milwaukeean (spelling?). But I guess the grass is always greener. Have fun in Chit-town, if you ever "make it." LOL

Last edited by pam21; 01-20-2010 at 01:02 AM..

Old 01-20-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Maybe Iowa should take "it." There would be a pig stampede though if "it" located there. Residents of Iowa-run for your lives!

Not very nice to talk about your girl that way. I'm going to tell her you said that.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:47 AM

2,248 posts, read 6,208,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
That is retarded. Sorry, there's just no other word for your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I wish I could rep you right now Steve-O. Your thoughts are the same as what ran through my head when I read that stupidity.
Glad you two liked it!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:51 AM

2,248 posts, read 6,208,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam21 View Post
Chicago is not all its cracked up to be. Its nicer to experience in smaller doses, for some. You'd think I would not need to explain something like this to a Milwaukeean (spelling?). But I guess the grass is always greener. Have fun in Chit-town, if you ever "make it." LOL
Chicago is one of those cities that's cool to visit, but sucks to live in. Kind of like New Orleans or Miami. (I guess Fort Wayne would be the opposite)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.