Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 11:18 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I'm from NE Ohio, live in Chicago, and agree with you about Cleveland, but not Detroit. People from Detroit, and Michigan in general, seem to flock to Chicago in large numbers. I think this has especially accelerated over the last decade or so. I think Detroit definitely looks toward Chicago over the Northeast. Parts of Chicago could practically be little Michigan. They even recently built a Detroit style coney island hot dog shop here on Southport Ave.

Have you eaten there... it's pretty freaking good, so is the Italian Ice across the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 08:08 PM

285 posts, read 642,312 times
In Ohio Chicago is seen as a nice city and a good place to live as a young professional. It seems to be a metric which other Midwestern cities like Columbus and Indianapolis can measure themselves against in terms of quality of urban life.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:23 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,284,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by czb2004 View Post
In Ohio Chicago is seen as a nice city and a good place to live as a young professional. It seems to be a metric which other Midwestern cities like Columbus and Indianapolis can measure themselves against in terms of quality of urban life.
What??

I would place Columbus third in OHIO behind Cleveland and Cincinnati for "Quality of Urban Life"

Maybe 'Quality of Family Life"...maybe...

Old 01-24-2011, 09:42 PM

285 posts, read 642,312 times
I wasn't saying that those two cities were as good as Chicago in terms of urban life, just that cities in the Midwest (Columbus being the one that I am currently in and familiar with and Indy being in a neighboring state) see Chicago as setting a standard for quality of life. Leaders in these cities seem to want to be more like Chicago in terms of attracting young professionals and improving urban life.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:33 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
For so many people here who say they don't think too much about other cities in the Midwest, there sure are a lot of posts arguing about which people suck more.

I like Chicago. Only been there once, but had a great time. I live in Columbus and love it here too. I generally like most of the Midwest and find it has a lot to offer, a lot more than people outside of the area tend to believe.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:39 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
What??

I would place Columbus third in OHIO behind Cleveland and Cincinnati for "Quality of Urban Life"

Maybe 'Quality of Family Life"...maybe...
You may be right, but out of the 3, Columbus is the only one that has any significant population growth and is already the largest city in the state. If you're counting metro areas, which I don't like because they tend to include towns and cities that are very much separate, then Cleveland is still the largest. How long it stays at the top is the question. I do believe that, eventually, Columbus will easily be the top city in the state, both population-wise and in urban development. The changes just in the last 10 years have been significant.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:36 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You may be right, but out of the 3, Columbus is the only one that has any significant population growth and is already the largest city in the state. If you're counting metro areas, which I don't like because they tend to include towns and cities that are very much separate, then Cleveland is still the largest. How long it stays at the top is the question. I do believe that, eventually, Columbus will easily be the top city in the state, both population-wise and in urban development. The changes just in the last 10 years have been significant.
I can't say I completely agree. Even at current growth rates, it would take approx. 30 years for Columbus to surpass metro Cleveland, and I'm not sure Cleveland will stay stagnant forever, or that Columbus will grow forever. But anything is possible!

Old 01-26-2011, 11:52 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,160 times
Being a newcomer to both Chicago and the Midwest, I have to say that any conflict between the two seems a bit overrated. I came to Chicago for Chicago itself, of course, but I've always been interested in the Midwest, and I've always suspected that it's a bit underrated. That feeling has been very much confirmed.

Prior to falling in love with Chicago, I was very impressed with Minneapolis and Pittsburgh, so I would say that Chicago attracts about the same sort of people (like me) as any other Midwestern area.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:56 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,902,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I can't say I completely agree. Even at current growth rates, it would take approx. 30 years for Columbus to surpass metro Cleveland, and I'm not sure Cleveland will stay stagnant forever, or that Columbus will grow forever. But anything is possible!
Don't forget Cincinnati. They are not only a growing metro area, but Hamilton County and Cincy proper are growing as well.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:13 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
This makes no sense. The only reason Columbus is bigger than Cleveland or Cincy is because it was able to annex a bunch of land around it (basically all those cities and towns you don't like to include). Cleveland and Cincy would be bigger than Columbus if they had equal land areas in the city proper.

Columbus:213 sq miles
Cleveland:83 sq miles
Cincy:80 sq miles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.