U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 10:04 PM

305 posts, read 363,904 times

Advertisements

Chicago is by far the biggest and most "powerful" city in the Midwest. However, the other major cities in it's region have their stake as well.

My question is, how does Chicago, the government, the citizens, or the city as a whole, relate to it's Midwestern relatives? As a big brother, a father, a fun uncle, or a loud mouthed Mudder-in-law who doesn't give them no respect?

And elaborate on your answer, by explaining why and how Chicago acts this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 07:29 AM

8,340 posts, read 14,100,781 times
People in the midwest do not care about Chicago nearly as much as Chicago thinks they do.

That pretty much sums up the relationship.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:13 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,549,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
a loud mouthed Mudder-in-law who doesn't give them no respect?

And elaborate on your answer, by explaining why and how Chicago acts this way.
This pretty much sums it up. I grew up in downstate Illinois...their term not ours....and to be honest we never really gave Chicago much thought. We just went along our day to day business.
We couldn't understand why someone would want to live that close to that many people and they couldn't understand the appeal of rural or small town living.

We knew that when our Chicago relatives came to visit we'd be treated like the poor relations. What made it funny was....we weren't the poor relations.

If we went to visit them, we were treated like country hicks.

We didn't visit much after awhile.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:20 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,375,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
People in the midwest do not care about Chicago nearly as much as Chicago thinks they do.

I've really never heard anyone in this city dwell or comment on other Midwest cities "caring" a lot about Chicago. This city has enough crap going on and enough issues that it's fairly insular.

Most people here tend to think about Midwest metros in much the same way they'd think about Southern, Eastern or Western areas. Most people I know in Chicago will just fly anywhere they want to go if it's not within two hours driving, so be it Minneapolis, Kansas City, Dallas or DC it really makes no difference.

The only Midwest metros that I would say have a relationship with Chicago would be Milwaukee, Madison, and St. Louis. Those are the places that people here can rationally drive to, and I here come up much more than anywhere else.

Maybe other areas such in neighboring states have special views on Chicago compared to other Midwest cities, but in Chicago there really is a lack of recognition. That said though most of my friends here have friends/relatives in other areas of the Midwest that come to visit, and it's almost universally a positive experience. They love visiting, we love having them visit. Certainly no contempt, and I don't know why you'd put someone down just because they're from Iowa or Wisconsin or downstate. I think I'd have to re-evaluate my relationship with those individuals and their personalities as opposed to just blaming it on the fact they live in Chicago.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:16 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,801,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
My question is, how does Chicago, the government, the citizens, or the city as a whole, relate to it's Midwestern relatives?
They look down their noses at the rest of the cities in the Midwest. The rest of us don't care what Chicagoans think.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:24 AM

217 posts, read 611,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post

i agree, we dont look at chicago like a big brother or anything the way the smaller cities on the east coast look at new york...its just another city..a nice city though i will say, but another city...

Old 01-12-2010, 10:43 AM

3,625 posts, read 7,171,383 times
its a love hate relationship. people from the rest of the midwest either LOVE chicago with a passion or they cant stand it/inferiority complex. Their is rarely anybody in the middle

Old 01-12-2010, 02:12 PM

2,248 posts, read 6,207,553 times
From my experiences, Chicagoans are extremely arrogant when it comes to their city, condescending even.

There's an inflated sense of self-righteousness towards peer Midwestern cities that you find much less frequently in relation to New York and its peer cities of the Northeast, or Los Angeles and the West. It's this attitude that makes Chicago an unappealing city, in my mind.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:04 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,416,959 times
My only experience with Midwest cities has been with Minneapolis. I don't think Minneapolis generally pays much attention to Chicago, or rather, like someone said, doesn't think about Chicago in much of a different way than they would think of other big cities. I think it would be different if Minneapolis was within easy driving distance, but it's not.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:28 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,246,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I've really never heard anyone in this city dwell or comment on other Midwest cities "caring" a lot about Chicago. This city has enough crap going on and enough issues that it's fairly insular.

Most people here tend to think about Midwest metros in much the same way they'd think about Southern, Eastern or Western areas. Most people I know in Chicago will just fly anywhere they want to go if it's not within two hours driving, so be it Minneapolis, Kansas City, Dallas or DC it really makes no difference.

The only Midwest metros that I would say have a relationship with Chicago would be Milwaukee, Madison, and St. Louis. Those are the places that people here can rationally drive to, and I here come up much more than anywhere else.

Ever heard of places called Indianapolis or Detroit? Those places are no further than St. Louis, actually closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.