U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 05:43 AM

11 posts, read 46,247 times

Advertisements

While I certainly do not subscribe to a strict adherence to any stereotype...I am;
32. Single. Creative. Multi ethinc. American. Female. Politically progressive. Hetro. Fashion savvy. Independent.

Inspired by the aesthetic life, however I'm not overly materialistic or shallow -but I don't mind people who are.

I find NYC to be too one dimensional, a financial suck hose, and tediously lacking charm, spirit and fun.

Boston/New England are okay (yawn), but kind of "chilly".

Miami...fun, great weather, but extremely unstable economically.

ATL is a pretty cool town, but the high crime/corruption make it a no go in my industry.

Chi Town poss as summer spot due to weather, in fact I'll be there this upcoming summer for a few weeks.

But I need a permanent chill city!

I really enjoy Southern CA. Other than that....

WHICH SMALL/MED/LRG AMERICAN CITIES ARE GREAT NOW?

REQUIREMENTS in order of importance:
- Loads of industry

- Diversity of races, with some blending not unheard of. (next requirement equally important)

- Progressive attitudes in regard to woman & gays (and I don't mean uptight feminists, unless they're drag queens).

- Upbeat, non conservative culture (so no Salt lake City).

- Affluent blacks, Latins, Asians (Anglos too of course).

- While some gritty parts are ok, a stylish city should have affluent sections that are flossy i.e classic 1960s Porsche or Jaguar convertibles/bad taste plastic surgery/labels/impractical extravagance/things that make you look twice/grown people chic/"lifestyles"... and NOT JUST THE LLbean/ prudish/snobby/boring/tan khakis Suburbs.

Is this asking too much from an American city?

*Sigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 06:55 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,653,266 times
honestly its like you took a list of the top ten cities worth living in in america and crapped all over it.

you painted yourself as this type of person that would fit into any city on the list and then proceeded to talk down about every city on the list...

so...its like it'll be hard to help you. i guess since you like socal then go there...other than that, i can't think of one city that you'd like based off of what you said about other cities.

*shrugs*

maybe dc. you didn't list and then talk down about that city. if you don't like ny, you don't like boston, you don't like atl then i dunno how you'll like dc...but i guess you can give it a shot. hopefully it meets your interesting standards.

if you don't like ny then how can you like chicago???

Old 01-11-2010, 09:15 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,671,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suede_Perfection_Tan View Post
While I certainly do not subscribe to a strict adherence to any stereotype...I am;
32. Single. Creative. Multi ethinc. American. Female. Politically progressive. Hetro. Fashion savvy. Independent.

Inspired by the aesthetic life, however I'm not overly materialistic or shallow -but I don't mind people who are.

I find NYC to be too one dimensional, a financial suck hose, and tediously lacking charm, spirit and fun.

Boston/New England are okay (yawn), but kind of "chilly".

Miami...fun, great weather, but extremely unstable economically.

ATL is a pretty cool town, but the high crime/corruption make it a no go in my industry.

Chi Town poss as summer spot due to weather, in fact I'll be there this upcoming summer for a few weeks.

But I need a permanent chill city!

I really enjoy Southern CA. Other than that....

WHICH SMALL/MED/LRG AMERICAN CITIES ARE GREAT NOW?

REQUIREMENTS in order of importance:
- Loads of industry

- Diversity of races, with some blending not unheard of. (next requirement equally important)

- Progressive attitudes in regard to woman & gays (and I don't mean uptight feminists, unless they're drag queens).

- Upbeat, non conservative culture (so no Salt lake City).

- Affluent blacks, Latins, Asians (Anglos too of course).

- While some gritty parts are ok, a stylish city should have affluent sections that are flossy i.e classic 1960s Porsche or Jaguar convertibles/bad taste plastic surgery/labels/impractical extravagance/things that make you look twice/grown people chic/"lifestyles"... and NOT JUST THE LLbean/ prudish/snobby/boring/tan khakis Suburbs.

Is this asking too much from an American city?

*Sigh
Dallas or Houston.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:59 AM

11 posts, read 46,247 times
I mentioned those cities because I'm looking for OTHER suggestions besides those cities.

Last edited by Suede_Perfection_Tan; 01-11-2010 at 10:11 AM..

Old 01-11-2010, 10:08 AM

27 posts, read 122,942 times
honolulu beats every mainland city plus has the benefit of being thousands of miles of ocean away from them.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:34 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,671,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfscuba View Post
honolulu beats every mainland city plus has the benefit of being thousands of miles of ocean away from them.
That's a negative in my book.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:42 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,324,591 times
Yeah, isolation is a negative in my book. Having to buy a plane ticket just to visit another state isn't so appealing.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:46 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,557,485 times
I am thinking maybe Orange County CA and don't believe the fantasys you see on TV. Another possible is Washington DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or