U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,788 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are looking to relocate with our pets. We're currently living in Green Bay, WI and considered Chicago as well as Minneapolis but decided that they weren't worth the cost of living.

What we're looking for:

Living: <$1000 for ahouse or duplex. 2 bedroom minimum. Pet friendly. Close to the city, not out in the country.

Weather: We're flexible. Ideally: warm and sunny year-round. But we can handle the snow if everything is fits.

Jobs: My fiance is in finance and I'm a Scheduler, pursuing a degree in Environmental Management.

Close to: We'd like to be close to places like Trader Joes & Whole Foods. Outdoor shopping districts. Parks. Trails. Campgrounds.

A low cost of living is key for us as we're not keen on living paycheck to paycheck. What cities seem like a good fit for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 12:30 PM

56,709 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germato View Post
My fiance and I are looking to relocate with our pets. We're currently living in Green Bay, WI and considered Chicago as well as Minneapolis but decided that they weren't worth the cost of living.

What we're looking for:

Living: <$1000 for ahouse or duplex. 2 bedroom minimum. Pet friendly. Close to the city, not out in the country.

Weather: We're flexible. Ideally: warm and sunny year-round. But we can handle the snow if everything is fits.

Jobs: My fiance is in finance and I'm a Scheduler, pursuing a degree in Environmental Management.

Close to: We'd like to be close to places like Trader Joes & Whole Foods. Outdoor shopping districts. Parks. Trails. Campgrounds.

A low cost of living is key for us as we're not keen on living paycheck to paycheck. What cities seem like a good fit for us?
Syracuse NY would work, except for some aspects of the weather and instead of Trader Joes and Whole foods, we have arguably the best supermarket in the country in Wegmans: Wegmans

Here's some more information, if you want to look at it:
Central Region - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation
Onondaga County Parks :: Syracuse, NY
Central New York Jobs in Banking/Financial
Central New York Jobs in Environmental
Central New York Jobs
SUNY-ESF, SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry
#1 Syracuse Real Estate Website | CNYREALTOR.COM (look in onondaga county)
City of Syracuse
Onondaga County, New York
Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau
Syracuse Real Food Co-op
Farmers' Markets - Onondaga County (http://www.nyfarmersmarket.com/regioncentralonondaga.htm - broken link)

Old 01-13-2010, 04:03 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,593,545 times
Try looking at St Louis since it seems to fit your criteria.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:44 AM

726 posts, read 1,871,337 times
Fort Collins, Colorado. Has everything you're looking for except:1) no trader joe's. there's whole foods though.2) weather- there will be snow and cold but not as much as a lot of people think. It seems to snow a lot at once, then melt. And it's sunny something like 300-320 days a year.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:11 AM

5,812 posts, read 16,666,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
Try looking at St Louis since it seems to fit your criteria.
Yeah. St. Louis would be worth looking into. Lots of parks around the area and in the Ozarks. A few Trader Joes and Whole Foods. Soulard Farmer's Market.

Just browsing Craigslist, finding an apartment meeting your criteria shouldn't be hard.

I'd look hard at the job market before moving anywhere, though. That's one of the most important things I would think.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:28 PM

5 posts, read 9,475 times
Default Wow, me and my fiance are almost exactly the same...

Almost identical situation to OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by germato View Post
Our Version:

What we're looking for:

My fiance and I are looking to relocate with our pets (2 dogs, 2 cats). We're currently living in Fort Collins, CO and considered Phoenix as well as _(u tell us)___ but decided that the job market was to low.

Living: <$1000 for a house or duplex. 2 bedroom minimum. Pet friendly. Close to the city, not out in the country.

Jobs: My fiance is in the army and a vet technician, I'm modeling (also fitness trainer) pursing an MBA in Finance

Close to: We''re the outdoor types and like to be close to trails, campgrounds, etc...

Old 01-17-2010, 05:09 AM

13,238 posts, read 24,450,303 times
Denver, if you could survive without Trader Joe's.

What is it about people and these stores that they must have? Whole Foods is great if you like spending $11 on organic washer fluid.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:01 PM

5 posts, read 9,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Denver, if you could survive without Trader Joe's.

What is it about people and these stores that they must have? Whole Foods is great if you like spending $11 on organic washer fluid.
I live an hour north of Denver, great city, very laid back here in CO. Just like anywhere else though, the economy sucks.

Lol I agree, whole foods isn't worth it unless you've got a lot of expendable income. I'd rather just shop organic at the normal grocery store.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:42 PM

56,709 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Syracuse NY would work, except for some aspects of the weather and instead of Trader Joes and Whole foods, we have arguably the best supermarket in the country in Wegmans: Wegmans

Here's some more information, if you want to look at it:
Central Region - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation
Onondaga County Parks :: Syracuse, NY
Central New York Jobs in Banking/Financial
Central New York Jobs in Environmental
Central New York Jobs
SUNY-ESF, SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry
#1 Syracuse Real Estate Website | CNYREALTOR.COM (look in onondaga county)
City of Syracuse
Onondaga County, New York
Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau
Syracuse Real Food Co-op
Farmers' Markets - Onondaga County (http://www.nyfarmersmarket.com/regioncentralonondaga.htm - broken link)
I forgot to add:
Syracuse NY Apartments for Rent | Apartment Finder

MapsKrieg - Syracuse, NY - Apartments, Rooms, Sublets, and Real Estate for Sale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or