U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 11:19 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,512,347 times

Advertisements

Northern Virginia looks down on the rest of the state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 01:02 PM

3,655 posts, read 4,599,241 times
I seen someone post that Detroit contributed absolutely nothing to MI, that is the most false and outrageous post I have seen in weeks. But then again it's not surprising coming from him so I won't even get into why Detroit is the most important city in the state.

Anyway yes some other places in MI try to look down on Detroit. However, most people in Detroit could care less about the rest of MI. In fact, outside of SE MI if it's not Grand Rapids or Lansing then it hardly comes up in a convo. I find it ironic that these little towns that talk the most crap about Detroit are the same towns that nobody in Detroit has ever heard of. It's like hating someone who doesn't even know you exist. Ha. Idk what their problem is but without Detroit, the state of MI would be as relevant as Alabama. Except surrounded by beautiful lakes.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:46 PM

9,467 posts, read 12,302,853 times
Default Since Oklahoma City MAPS...OKC Looks Down On All Cities And Towns In The State Of Oklahoma

City of Oklahoma City | OCMAPS

Oklahoma City MAPS (Metropolitan Area Projects) 3 Project | Newsok.com

OKC Statistics | Welcome to Oklahoma City

Brownfield Renewal

And Oklahoma City Devon Tower Finally Gave OKC A Skyline Superior To OK Smaller City of Tulsa Oklahoma
Devon Tower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tulsa Oklahoma was the more sophisticated cosmopolitan city in the state of Oklahoma even if Metro OKC was a good 300,000 larger in the city proper and Metro Stat Area...OKC is enjoying the turned tables so to speak which the MAPS tax increase gave it, and it's new elevated status over the city of Tulsa OK.

OKC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City

Tulsa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa,_Oklahoma

Old 11-26-2012, 12:42 PM

14,061 posts, read 16,070,870 times
My experience is that people from big cities often look down on the smaller cities and suburbs, either through ignorance or having grown up in one and enjoying all that the City has to offer. Actually looking down on the people FROM smaller cities is rare. I mean, you certainly have the attitude of you're not a true San Franciscan unless you were born there elitism, but that's not exactly looking down on people from smaller cities. They'll view you the same if you come for larger cities such as San Jose or even LA or NYC.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:13 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,708,360 times
No we all have cabins in the small towns.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:14 PM

269 posts, read 349,273 times
Yes, I think many tend to.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:44 PM

933 posts, read 1,606,961 times
It's the opposite in PA. The small city/rural area people tend to look down on Philadelphia.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:11 PM

639 posts, read 939,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
It's the opposite in PA. The small city/rural area people tend to look down on Philadelphia.
That's what I observed in NY actually, it was the opposite. People from the smaller cities and rural areas of Upstate NY look down on people from NYC.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:15 PM

640 posts, read 1,028,512 times
The mentality definitely exists in New Orleans. There's a huge animosity between New Orleans and rest of the state, and it runs in each direction. Small-town people generally think New Orleanians are snobby and too cool for school. New Orleanians generally thnk small-town people are hick. But, at the end of the day we're all still nice and friendly to eachother.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:26 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,569,855 times
In California I've noticed those from our 4th largest city not only bash and look down on the LARGEST city in the state, but then they compare themselves to the largest city in the nation. Happens all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or