Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 01:13 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times

Advertisements

Do you find that big-city people, upon finding out you are from a smaller city within the same state or region, treat you differently or have an interesting reaction?

For example, if you are a Californian from Redding and you are enjoying Los Angeles- do you experience "big city attitude" when someone (from the bigger city) finds out you are from the "small town"? Or between NYC and Upstate NY- that vein of comparison.

Do you think this mentality also exists in states with a major city that in reality is really not that big- but if it is the main regional center, it exudes a surprising presence/ "attitude"? (eg: 'major' cities in the middle of nowhere such as Oklahoma City vs. the rest of OK or Seattle vs. the rest of WA)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 05:56 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
NY City folks tend to look down on everyone else, generally the attitude is that they don't even know Buffalo, Rochester, or Syracuse even exist.

Having moved from NY State to PA I think some look-down from Philly or Pgh to the other cities exists but not quite the same level as in NY.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:31 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
Do you find that big-city people, upon finding out you are from a smaller city within the same state or region, treat you differently or have an interesting reaction?

For example, if you are a Californian from Redding and you are enjoying Los Angeles- do you experience "big city attitude" when someone (from the bigger city) finds out you are from the "small town"? Or between NYC and Upstate NY- that vein of comparison.

Do you think this mentality also exists in states with a major city that in reality is really not that big- but if it is the main regional center, it exudes a surprising presence/ "attitude"? (eg: 'major' cities in the middle of nowhere such as Oklahoma City vs. the rest of OK or Seattle vs. the rest of WA)
I was more conscious of it in NY than I am in Tennessee or was in Maryland.

A lot of people who move from out of state in TN, settle in the 4 major cities and I think the locals are just glad they are primarily herded (not a typo) there. No one from the other towns seem to think those people are special because they live in the 4 cities and I don't see an in your face attitude coming from those 4 cities, either. Tennessee is not a national media hotspot and those cities aren't forced on people as somehow being special.

In Maryland, I never got a sense of people from Baltimore or Annapolis thinking they were special. I lived there 12 years. Of course, the whole state of Maryland lives in the shadow of Washington, DC. That, I was acutely aware of. I think Maryland on the mainland side of the state (as opposed to the Eastern shore) and outside of Baltimore, has an identity crisis. It has too many higher graded government transplants with allegiance to their home states and who leave Maryland as soon as they retire. In other words, Maryland is just a place to lay their hat towards the last third of their career until they leave. They work in DC or in the surrounding DC counties and get their news and opinion from DC newspapers, DC radio stations and DC TV news channels. You don't even hear about the far western half of the state.

In NY, the whole rest of the state loses its identity to NYC because of the media (that never leave the city to see what's 50 miles from their front door) and people in other parts of the state resent it. You know, the whole state is portrayed to the other 49 states as being NYC. It's not. People in NYC (Manhattan) have an attitude that they are smarter (yeah, right), more creative, more cultured and that whatever is bad about them is good simply because they live in NYC. That's a load of crap but the media perpetuates that bill of goods because it's where they are.

So, to sum up, I'm going with "It's the media's fault that some cities have an attitude."

Old 01-13-2010, 08:01 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Not really, it seems like people from small towns look down on people from the cities, especially Memphis. Memphis have a very bad reputation in TN, so I feel like even people from small towns look down on Memphis.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:11 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
No, it's not true with NYC and upstate. Those from NYC tend to not really care about the smaller cities upstate. I know it's mean to ignore the smaller cities, but at least we don't make fun of them. I figure that we're all part of a great state, and that's what matters

Old 01-13-2010, 08:36 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,028,212 times
Growing up in Michigan, it was the opposite

Old 01-13-2010, 09:06 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Do big city people look down on the smaller cities of my state?

Only the immature, non-traveled, inexperienced people whose opinions aren't worth being bothered about...

Yeah, I'm cranky today. What of it?

Old 01-13-2010, 09:55 AM

77 posts, read 228,186 times
In Chicago, most really don't care about the other cities not in Chicagoland. Rockford, Carbondale, Springfield, Peoria, Rock Island, Champagne-Urbana, Decatur, people in Chicagoland generally don't care about them. They if someone goes to UofI (Campaigne-Urbana), SIU (Carbondale), Peoria (ISU) and if you love Abe Lincoln Springfield but otherwise all those cities would just be a bigger suburb of Chicago. Chicago just dominates them all.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:58 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
I think that's the tendency of people in big cities all over the country. People make a choice where to live, based on personal preference, job opportunities, income, COL, family, etc. There are a LOT of people who choose not to live in the big city. To look down on them, when they've made the decision that is best for them, is really pretty silly and arrogant.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:02 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I think that's the tendency of people in big cities all over the country. People make a choice where to live, based on personal preference, job opportunities, income, COL, family, etc. There are a LOT of people who choose not to live in the big city. To look down on them, when they've made the decision that is best for them, is really pretty silly and arrogant.
Very true...and to generalize about people based on where they live is just absurd. All kinds of different people live in every corner of the Earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.