U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 12:28 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,910,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroline95 View Post
i'm looking for something similar, but for you, i'd suggest these (some of which have already been mentioned)...

1. atlanta, GA
2. seattle, WA
3. denver, CO
4. syracuse, NY
5. austin, TX
Syracuse, NY...Upstate NY gets so much snow it's unbelievable and it is generally quite cold there. Denver gets just as much snow as well. For winter neither of these cities are ideal for climate I think at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 07:27 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,457,484 times
Try Lawrence, Kansas. It's home to the University of Kansas and has the college-town liberalism vibe to go with it, a youth culture that permeates the city like Austin's. It's artsy with a good music scene and a history of political activism. It's a solidly Democratic city in a red state. Half of its inhabitants have at least a bachelor's degree and it's been on some "Best Places" lists in the past.

Last edited by houstoner; 05-25-2007 at 07:38 AM..

Old 05-25-2007, 09:03 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,447,575 times
Lawrence is a pretty good suggestion. It has a lot of cultural amenities without the worst of the urban problems of nearby Kansas City, yet it's nice to be that close to a real city when you need a dose of the urban scene. It's also close to a lot of beautiful scenery and has a not-so-extreme winter as places to the north.

And if Lawrence is where William S. Burroughs chose to waste away on heroin, it must have something going for it!

Old 05-26-2007, 01:53 AM

17 posts, read 82,661 times
I think that Santa Fe, NM has everything that you mentioned, except perhaps it's not a large city; but it's only a 45 minute drive to Albuquerque, which is a medium sized city. While some of it is high desert (and not a coastal city), it also has plenty of green and trees since it backs to the southern edge of the Rocky mountains.
The elevation might be a factor at first when it comes to outdoor exercise, but once you get used to it, you would be able to compete anywhere after training there.
Some people consider it to be expensive, but less than NY or SF.
Boulder, CO also has much of what you mentioned, but it's also not a large city, although it's only 30 miles to Denver. Since it gets more snow and does not seem to have much diversity it might not be a good fit. It has a strong liberal climate.
Both of these locations may be a bit of a culture shock given the size of the cities where you have lived, but possibly worth considering since they do fit many of the things that you are looking for.

Last edited by BAllUCanB; 05-26-2007 at 02:02 AM..

Old 05-26-2007, 06:29 PM
McJ

167 posts, read 419,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Try Lawrence, Kansas. It's home to the University of Kansas and has the college-town liberalism vibe to go with it, a youth culture that permeates the city like Austin's.
I'm going to mention Lawrence as well. I live in Austin, Tx so initially I thought of here but Lawrence isn't as taken over yet, it's still under most peoples radar.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McJ View Post
I'm going to mention Lawrence as well. I live in Austin, Tx so initially I thought of here but Lawrence isn't as taken over yet, it's still under most peoples radar.
Well-said. I've lived in Austin since 1990 and have known several people who moved here from Lawrence and they all raved about it. They came to Austin because they were young and looking for more action, and Austin is the place to be for people between the ages of 18 and 35 who are looking to party, play music, get wild, be gay, or generally just escape from Mom and Dad and the conservatism that dominates the middle of the country.

But some of those same Lawrence kids have moved back there after they got their fill of Austin. These were people who could choose to live anywhere, and they chose to go back home. I still haven't seen Lawrence but I'm fairly sure I would like it, especially the hilly countryside to the SE of there (or so I'm told by friends...)

Old 05-27-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAllUCanB View Post
I think that Santa Fe, NM has everything that you mentioned, except perhaps it's not a large city; but it's only a 45 minute drive to Albuquerque, which is a medium sized city.
For urban amenities it's got a lot more than most places that small, and Albuquerque is a significant city because of its dominance in the region. But don't you think the outskirts of Santa Fe are hideous? Last summer I remember spending about 30 minutes just trying to get out of town, the sprawl goes on and on, treeless expanses of ugly signs and tacky chain stores and strip malls. The old and expensive parts of Santa Fe are amazing, but I don't think I could deal with living in such an isolated island of beauty amidst so much clutter. Perhaps I just chose the worst route for getting out of town...

I also find most of Albuquerque to be hideous, crowded and unfriendly. Take my comments with a grain of salt, I've never liked the place and I'm biased against deserts because I love trees and greenery.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:03 AM

6,853 posts, read 19,816,082 times
San Diego is a beautiful place. Seattle has a lot of pluses, but I can understand the rainy days after awhile might get to someone not used to that. We loved Vancouver when we visited two years ago, had a mix of a European feel and Seattle feel, IMO. What a great city. How about Ventura California in betweeen LA and Santa Barbara the mountains are there for hiking and biking. Newport Beach California is also gorgeous not cheap. Denver-Boulder is a great city (it is on my short list), not to crazy yet. But it doesn't have many trees and they do get on average 60" of snow but the locals say it melts faster than places like Chicago. But they have all the outdoor sports you are looking for. It is ranked as the number 1 places for singles right now. Fort Collins and Colorado Springs have been ranked in the top places (Fort Collins was #1 last year by money mag) to live the last few years.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:12 AM

167 posts, read 489,418 times
Default Thanks for the responses

Just wanted to say "thanks" for all the responses. I was on vacation in Montreal for a wedding so wasn't able to post this "thanks" until now.

Basically, if not San Fran I am still going to look into further research/visits, etc on Portland and Austin (Austin is in third place though). My only real concerns with any of these locations is the lack of diversity in people (I live in NYC so the bar is pretty high on that) which looking at the stats, Portland doesn't look too promising. Although, weather wise, Portland seems better than Seattle. The cost of living isn't really a factor being that I live in NYC and almost anything will be less expensive.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or