U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:47 AM

8,900 posts, read 13,261,819 times

Advertisements

If you're looking for that European influence, try the east coast. I'm thinking Boston or a coastal town in Rhode Island. Maybe Portsmouth, NH. I think you'd like those places. If you want museums, theatres, cultural stuff like that, then small towns in the south wouldn't be a good fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 07:53 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,760,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4tulip View Post
Id say I'm on the fence when it comes to politics. I generally vote for the person and not the party. If I had to choose one, I'd say more conservative. One thing I don't like about San Diego is the very liberal way of thinking and bohemian lifestyle. I get along with everyone and don't judge. Please don't get me wrong.

Actually, San Diego is very moderate (in other words it is a very open minded city). Thankfully it is not like SF politically

Old 01-14-2010, 10:20 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,483,959 times
Quote:
I need a lifestyly makeover. I've been a mother and a wife since the age of 17. Now, with my daughter grown and in college, my husband and I have decided to divorce. My problem is that I've been a devoted military spouse and mom and lost my identity many years, ago.I know that's my fault, but depression and the need to put others first has been an obstacle for a long time. Now, it's just me and I'm kinda freakin' out. I can move anywhere in the country and have no idea where to go. My mom is in Kansas (no way) and my brother is in Austin, Tx. I visited there in Nov. and can't say I like it too much. I long for a small city not too far from a large one to visit museums,theatre and such, with tree lined streets, friendly people, warm evening breezes in the summer, open air market, near water and a charm that makes your heart melt. I am an endless romantic. I lived in Italy and visited Switzerland and Paris. I seem to be looking for Europe in the U.S. when I compare cities on the web. The laid back and enjoying good food, good friends and life in general mentality. Any suggestions? Please help? I have to make a decision ASAP.
Tell us more..... will you buy a house? condo? What price range of dwelling? When you say water, do you mean on the ocean? Oregon or Washington perhaps?

Old 01-14-2010, 10:24 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,195,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Does Louisiana have any nice towns? I'm thinking it might have the food and old European influence you like, but be more conservative. (I think their famous artists often do paintings that look like things and even the Democratic areas I think aren't usually hippyish) Thing is it's a pretty poor state and somewhat crime-ridden. Still there's bound to be parts of it that are okay.

Hattiesburg, Mississippi I think was listed as a good college town for older people. It's in a county that's went for the Republican in all but one Presidential election from 1960 to 2008. (The one exception is when it was won by segregationist George Wallace) The Amendment to ban same-sex marriage received an 83% "Yes" in Forrest County. Granted those refer to the county as a whole, but I'm guessing that as the largest town in the county it wouldn't be extremely liberal or hippy or the county's overall voting pattern would be different. (It might be more liberal than the rest of its county, but these things indicate that might just mean it's moderate or mixed. Although I've never been there so what do I know?)
Along Thomas' line of thinking, why not someplace in southeastern Louisiana, right on the lake, on the outskirts of New Orleans and about 100 miles from the Gulf of Mexico? The crime statistics are somewhat misleading as they apply to the Deep South. Yes, Louisiana is a poorer state and certain neighborhoods in certain areas can be rough, but it's not as if all the major cities are warzones.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:29 AM

6,436 posts, read 9,972,323 times
Quote:
I need a lifestyly makeover. I've been a mother and a wife since the age of 17. Now, with my daughter grown and in college, my husband and I have decided to divorce. My problem is that I've been a devoted military spouse and mom and lost my identity many years, ago.I know that's my fault, but depression and the need to put others first has been an obstacle for a long time. Now, it's just me and I'm kinda freakin' out. I can move anywhere in the country and have no idea where to go. My mom is in Kansas (no way) and my brother is in Austin, Tx. I visited there in Nov. and can't say I like it too much. I long for a small city not too far from a large one to visit museums,theatre and such, with tree lined streets, friendly people, warm evening breezes in the summer, open air market, near water and a charm that makes your heart melt. I am an endless romantic. I lived in Italy and visited Switzerland and Paris. I seem to be looking for Europe in the U.S. when I compare cities on the web. The laid back and enjoying good food, good friends and life in general mentality. Any suggestions? Please help? I have to make a decision ASAP.
Why don't you go to California? That seems to be where most young people go these days. Your sure to find love there. There are lots of singles there and the weather is awesome.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:45 AM

16 posts, read 23,751 times
Where should I go to start over?

Less work, more living? Eurpope in the U.S.?
Sounds like Milwaukee.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:02 PM

2,653 posts, read 4,728,505 times
Stay here in CA. Its the land of new beginnings. Suggest you get out of Diego, away from the military(your old life) and move to LA or San Francisco.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:37 PM

726 posts, read 1,872,133 times
What about Charleston SC or Savannah GA?

Old 01-14-2010, 12:45 PM

4,476 posts, read 7,304,899 times
Savannah sounds like what you're describing. Check it out!

Old 01-14-2010, 12:56 PM

6 posts, read 12,666 times
Thank you for your reply. I wil research those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.