U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:44 PM

6 posts, read 12,651 times

Advertisements

Posted Today at 10:13 PM by t4tulip
I need a lifestyle makeover. I've been a mother and a wife since the age of 17. Now, with my daughter grown and in college, my husband and I have decided to divorce. My problem is that I've been a devoted military spouse and lost my identity many years, ago. I know that's my fault that I soley relied on him and now he's gone, but regrets won't move me forward. I can move anywhere in the country and have no idea where to go. I don't have much family or many friends. I've been a hermit doped up on Prozac and hiding from the world in Sicily until last year. That's when we moved to San Diego and I woke up and realized that I have too much to offer and be thankful for to live that way anymore. My mom is in Kansas (no way) and my brother is in Austin, Tx. I visited there in Nov. and can't say I like it too much. I long for a small city not far from a large one (museums,theatre and such) with tree lined streets, warm evening breezes in the summer, and a charm that makes your heart melt. I am an endless romantic. I've lived in Italy and visited Switzerland and Paris. I seem to be looking for Europe in the U.S. when I compare cities on the web. La Dolce Vita (the sweet life). Less work more living. Any suggestions? Please help? I have to make a decision ASAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 11:13 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,873,143 times
Okay, well, Olympia, WA is nice.
What are your politics like?

The West, in general, is the place people go to escape family and start over.
Again in general.

And it's pretty liberal so...if you don't want any friction concerning that, be aware.

Last edited by brubaker; 01-13-2010 at 11:22 PM..

Old 01-13-2010, 11:22 PM

Id say I'm on the fence when it comes to politics. I generally vote for the person and not the party. If I had to choose one, I'd say more conservative. One thing I don't like about San Diego is the very liberal way of thinking and bohemian lifestyle. I get along with everyone and don't judge. Please don't get me wrong.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:34 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,873,143 times
No that's cool...I'm just saying some towns seem to have a more overtly political populous.
Olympia is a college town (lots of idealistic kids) and quite a few places on the West Coast have
pretty substantial and historic hippy subcultures so even the 'average joe' runs a little left of center.

Hmm...where else?
I'm looking for a liberal small town so my 'area of (pseudo) expertise' may not overlap with what you're looking for.

I don't care for Austin either but what was it that you didn't like about it?

Old 01-13-2010, 11:53 PM

7,835 posts, read 19,567,727 times
Oxnard,CA

Walnut Creek, CA

Santa Rosa,CA

Santee, CA

Boca Raton, FL

Delray Beach, FL

Corpus Christi, TX

Old 01-14-2010, 12:56 AM

Well, it's way to artsy for me. I like traditional art. Too many people there splatter paint on a trash can lid and call it art. That's cool that they're in touch with their creative side, but not for me. Also, the city has nothing to offer other than Tex Mex and bars.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:59 AM

I've never been to Washington, but the online "Best place to live" quizzes keep telling me Whidbey Island or Olympia. It's weird that you suggested Olympia first. I have an ex sister in law there who I'm still friends with and my best friend moved to Wenatchee while I was in Sicily. Crazy.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:13 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,540,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4tulip View Post
Id say I'm on the fence when it comes to politics. I generally vote for the person and not the party. If I had to choose one, I'd say more conservative. One thing I don't like about San Diego is the very liberal way of thinking and bohemian lifestyle. I get along with everyone and don't judge. Please don't get me wrong.
You could move to paradise and still have this affliction, and depression will continue to plague your life. Consider more enlightened options. Maybe your place is in the South. North Carolina, Charlotte maybe?

Old 01-14-2010, 01:15 AM

What exactly do you mean by "Enlightened options". Please explain?

Old 01-14-2010, 02:37 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,961,646 times
Does Louisiana have any nice towns? I'm thinking it might have the food and old European influence you like, but be more conservative. (I think their famous artists often do paintings that look like things and even the Democratic areas I think aren't usually hippyish) Thing is it's a pretty poor state and somewhat crime-ridden. Still there's bound to be parts of it that are okay.

Hattiesburg, Mississippi I think was listed as a good college town for older people. It's in a county that's went for the Republican in all but one Presidential election from 1960 to 2008. (The one exception is when it was won by segregationist George Wallace) The Amendment to ban same-sex marriage received an 83% "Yes" in Forrest County. Granted those refer to the county as a whole, but I'm guessing that as the largest town in the county it wouldn't be extremely liberal or hippy or the county's overall voting pattern would be different. (It might be more liberal than the rest of its county, but these things indicate that might just mean it's moderate or mixed. Although I've never been there so what do I know?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.