U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 01:08 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,688,446 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of people post on here just talking about what they've read or seen in movies lol, but I actually have first hand knowledge, and California shouldn't be in any top beach categories when compared to Florida or Hawaii. California water is COLD, yes for scenery, you can't beat a lot of spots in California. Pismo Beach is beautiful, and if your into atvs,dune buggies, dirt bikes the riding area is about 200 yards away. Carmel and Monterey are beautiful but that water is freezing, along with San Fransisco. San Deigo and other spots in Southern Cali are warmer, but nowhere near the tropical temp. of Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 01:48 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,020,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
I know a lot of people post on here just talking about what they've read or seen in movies lol, but I actually have first hand knowledge, and California shouldn't be in any top beach categories when compared to Florida or Hawaii. California water is COLD, yes for scenery, you can't beat a lot of spots in California. Pismo Beach is beautiful, and if your into atvs,dune buggies, dirt bikes the riding area is about 200 yards away. Carmel and Monterey are beautiful but that water is freezing, along with San Fransisco. San Deigo and other spots in Southern Cali are warmer, but nowhere near the tropical temp. of Florida.
The coldness of ocean in Southern California was a real surprise to me. It was usually comfortable between late June-September. The smaller harbors were usually warm enough for swimming from April to October.

On the other hand, I can remember swimming in the atlantic in Mid april to mid november on Long Island. There was even a warm spell about 20 years ago and we were swimming in Long Island Sound on Christmas day. Go Figure.

Hawaiian beaches are in a class by themselves. My favorite being Ke'e Beach on Kauai's North Shore.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:30 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,988,531 times
I have to agree with the CA beaches. They are very rough and I had been to some pretty trashy ones out there too, you know just like anywhere else(some good, some bad). I think Hawaii is the best that we've got here...but your big states usually have a couple of beaches that are pretty darn good. Doesn't take much for me to like a beach, just as long as it's clean!

Old 11-29-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Doesn't take much for me to like a beach, just as long as it's clean!
That's pretty much the bottom line.

I'm even happy on the little sand spit we call a beach in Lake Saint Louis, but I really miss the smell of salt water and low tide.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:00 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,238,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
That's pretty much the bottom line.

I'm even happy on the little sand spit we call a beach in Lake Saint Louis, but I really miss the smell of salt water and low tide.

Why not move back to Long Island? You seem to miss it.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Why not move back to Long Island? You seem to miss it.
I do miss long Island and NY. I miss Southern California even more.

The two areas are so similar in so many ways. The weather is the deal breaker.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:30 AM

7,412 posts, read 8,238,355 times
Scenic beaches: Hawaii & California
Surfing beaches: Hawaii & California
Swimming beaches: Florida & East Coast
Tropical beaches: Hawaii & Florida
Party beaches: Florida & California
Winter beaches: Hawaii & Florida
Summer beaches: East Coast & California

Old 11-30-2009, 11:52 AM

2,705 posts, read 7,292,485 times
I haven't been to Hawaii unfortunately. The California beaches were pretty nice. Definitely the best I've been to in terms of scenery and setting.

Florida beaches are pretty nice, in the winter. Nice water for swimming.

NJ has some great beaches. Out of all the beaches I've been to, I can say that NJ's beaches tend to be the most well-rounded, and also the most diverse (can visit a beach in a peaceful, non-developed setting, or in a party environment like Atlantic City, Wildwood, or Point Pleasant Beach).

Old 12-14-2009, 07:43 PM

6 posts, read 10,425 times
hawaii first, then california second. waikiki beach is fun and exciting, maui is awesome. newport and san diego are great in ca.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:09 PM

517 posts, read 1,155,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
The coldness of ocean in Southern California was a real surprise to me. It was usually comfortable between late June-September. The smaller harbors were usually warm enough for swimming from April to October.

On the other hand, I can remember swimming in the atlantic in Mid april to mid november on Long Island. There was even a warm spell about 20 years ago and we were swimming in Long Island Sound on Christmas day. Go Figure.

Hawaiian beaches are in a class by themselves. My favorite being Ke'e Beach on Kauai's North Shore.

That is my all time favorite beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.