U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:47 AM

12,825 posts, read 20,191,056 times

Advertisements

There is a subculture which has resulted from rapid urbanization combined with massive in migration from both other domestic as well as foreign places. Most of the migrants since WW2 have tended to be from specific subcultures which is a catalyst of sorts. This "West Coast" subculture has overwhelmed or is overwhelming the native cultures of the Western-most Western US states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 03:07 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,346,009 times
There is definitely a different culture, and it varies from north to south. But the west is more environmental, outdoorsy, and laid-back. The cities are less urban and all have beautiful natural backgrounds. And like someone else said it is a lot more connected to Asia and Mexico.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:36 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,667,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I've lived on both coasts, and the one thing that really stands out to me is the ways in which each coast relates to other countries. The west coast (or at least coastal urban CA) seems far more oriented to Asia (especially China) and to Mexico. To me it's that blend that seems distinctively west coast in feel.
this plus you guys are really laid back. like real mellow, cool...
your accent is definitely different, the words you use, etc.

like i dunno...its cool. i like it. we are definitely different on the east coast. we rush, we talk faster, etc. and the west coast is a nice change of pace from time to time. i like the sun and the palm trees and the amount of beaches, etc. there's a lot about the west coast that is nice.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:40 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,667,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I can't personally say, as I've never been to the west coast (only have gotten as far as Vegas) but this thread reminded me of a NY Times story I read once. The author had moved from the NY metro area to California for about fifteen years and then come back. She was in a conversation with friends about people they knew, talking about how well they were doing in their jobs, they'd bought a gorgeous new house, etc., and she said she leaned in and said, "But are they HAPPY?" She said the conversation stopped and everyone just looked at her as if she had two heads, and she became aware that she'd just said something very California.

Don't know how accurate that perception is, but I thought I'd throw it out there...
a coworker of mine is from cali. she's definitely "happier" than the rest of us, if that makes sense. i mean we're happy but we might not show it all the time. she is like miss happy go lucky, in tune with nature, etc.

for an approaching elderly lady she has the spirit and youth of a 20 year old.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:37 PM

159 posts, read 552,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
a coworker of mine is from cali. she's definitely "happier" than the rest of us, if that makes sense. i mean we're happy but we might not show it all the time. she is like miss happy go lucky, in tune with nature, etc.

for an approaching elderly lady she has the spirit and youth of a 20 year old.
I think Mightyqueen meant that being happy is more important to west coasters than is having a huge house and whatnot (although there is certainly a ton of money out there). I've got friends and ex-coworkers in the Pacific Northwest who couldn't care less about how much money they make so long as they've got enough to get by and have time to do the things they love, whether it's making music or writing books or hiking or bicycling or whatever.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:43 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,264,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
There is definitely a different culture, and it varies from north to south. But the west is more environmental, outdoorsy, and laid-back. The cities are less urban and all have beautiful natural backgrounds. And like someone else said it is a lot more connected to Asia and Mexico.
Your point is well-taken. People tend to be more outdoors in the West than in the East & participate in sports more than just watch sports. Climate certainly has a lot to do with it.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:35 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,507,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnusualSuspect View Post
I think Mightyqueen meant that being happy is more important to west coasters than is having a huge house and whatnot (although there is certainly a ton of money out there). I've got friends and ex-coworkers in the Pacific Northwest who couldn't care less about how much money they make so long as they've got enough to get by and have time to do the things they love, whether it's making music or writing books or hiking or bicycling or whatever.
I believe it partially has to do with most people out in the West Coast (along with most people in regions west of the Mississippi River in general) not judging people by or determining one's personal with by the stuff they have. With the exception of the LA area and parts of the Bay Area, people out West seem to still be in tune with personalities of individuals, judging people more on the basis of their character and if they're just plain good and fun people to be around.

Also, from a personal perspective, people on the East Coast tend to find any small thing that would deem someone as not worthy of being "on their level," whether it's one's upbringing, place of origin & current residence, intelligence, K-12 schools & college(s) of attendance, race & ethnicity, cultural affiliation, income (whether their own or their parents'), and other factors. In order to compensate for that, a lot of people who belong to the "non-preferable" background, race, or neighborhood feel more inclined to compensate, or at least ward off the judgmental swarm of critics. And the easiest way to do that is to be (or have the image of being) financially well-off by having all of these items that only bring temporary joy to the person for a moment at best.

I applaud the West Coast (overall) culture for it's overall permissible atmosphere of allowing a true pursuit of freedom and happiness, all stemming back from it's Frontier Past and libertarian-minded present.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:37 PM

56,429 posts, read 54,821,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnusualSuspect View Post
Not exactly, it's more like no one would SAY something like that in conversation here. It sounds dorky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or