Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 08:59 PM

68 posts, read 187,871 times

Advertisements

I've narrowed my choices for the cities I would like to relocate to and I cant make up my mind. I am 24/m, single, 2 year business professional (Admin and accounting), have a few bucks saved up, and really have nothing to lose (except $!). I will be looking for a specific job after i make my move, and may try and get my masters (MBA, or Masters in Public Admin). I think the easiest way to do this is to list the cities and reasons for wanting to move:

1. San Diego
I want to be close to water, and the option of outdoor activities at my fingertips. I am very laid back, and like a little night life. I hear SD is a beautiful and fun city to live in. I am a little intimidated by all the negative posts about the terrible job market, and high cost of living.

2. Miami
Again, the water is a must! I love Latin culture, and plan on brushing up on my Spanish regardless of my destination. I hear great things about Miami (beautiful weather, scenery, people, attitude, etc), but also hear that the jobs are also scarce and cost of living is out the roof!

3. Chicago
I'm from the Midwest (KCMO), so Chicago is pretty close to home (not that important). I love the city and the culture that comes along with it, but I dont know if i can stand the winter! The upside of Chicago, to me, is the transportation. I wouldnt have to have a car (-350 bucks a month!). I know that Chicago is expensive, but I also hear that jobs arent that hard to get.

So, I'm looking for opinions, advice, experiences; really anything to make this decision easier. I plan on moving within the next three months so I'm going to have to make up my mind quick! I dont know anyone from any of these areas, and thats just fine. I'm excited to meet some new people, have some new experiences, and take on a life different from what I'm accustomed to here in Missouri. Thank you, and please try to keep the responses as honest as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 09:55 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,426 times
Chicago.

It's a special city. Unlike no other.

Unless you wanna go slumming with hookers and get beat out for medium-labor jobs by Cubans willing to work for 2$/hr, I'd avoid Miami.

San Diego? Nice city, by far the nicest people you'll encounter in CA... but SO expensive...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.