U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:23 PM

648 posts, read 1,416,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In the Syracuse area, the Fayetteville-Manlius area would be perfect. Very good school academically, has a good Lacrosse program, is one of the most affluent areas in the metro, doesn't get too much traffic, has skiing close by, has newer development, has shopping close by and more. You might also like Skaneateles and Cazenovia too. Syracuse is an area known for it's blue collar character as well. West Genesee is a national power year in and year out in High School Lacrosse and is located in Camillus, just west of Syracuse. LaFayette is another Lacrosse power and is just South of Syracuse.

Here's some information for each area:
Fayetteville-Manlius Schools
Fayetteville-Manlius Central School District Overview | GreatSchools
Fayetteville Manlius Youth Lacrosse Association - News
Fayetteville-Manlius Hornets High School Lacrosse Home - MaxPreps
http://www.fayettevilleny.gov/
Welcome to the Town of Manlius
http://www.manliusvillage.org/
Community Information :: Manlius Chamber of Commerce :: Greater Manlius Chamber :: Manlius :: New York
Fayetteville NY Chamber of Commerce (http://www.fayettevillechamber.org/ - broken link)

Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce - Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce | Skaneateles Area Chamber Of Commerce
Skaneateles Central School District Overview | GreatSchools
Town Of Skaneateles Government Site
Skaneateles CSD
Skaneateles Lakers High School Lacrosse Home - MaxPreps

Greater Cazenovia Area Chamber of Commerce (http://dcrossman.info/cazchamber/ - broken link)
Village of Cazenovia
Town Of Cazenovia: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]
Cazenovia Central School District Overview | GreatSchools
Cazenovia Central School District
Cazenovia Lakers High School Lacrosse Home - MaxPreps

You might like Jamesville-DeWitt too
Jamesville Dewitt School District
http://www.townofdewitt.com/
Jamesville-Dewitt Central School District Overview | GreatSchools
Jamesville-DeWitt Red Rams High School Lacrosse Home - MaxPreps
The Chamber | Welcome To Jamesville, New York

Here's information on other districts I've mentioned:
West Genesee School District
West Genesee Central School District Overview | GreatSchools
Town Of Camillus, New York. Phone: (315) 488-1335
The Greater Camillus Chamber of Commerce - Camillus New York
Home of West Genesee Wildcat High School Lacrosse
West Genesee Wildcats High School Lacrosse Home - MaxPreps

Baldwinsville is another area to consider
Baldwinsville Central School District
WELCOME TO THE VILLAGE OF BALDWINSVILLE
The Greater Baldwinsville Chamber of Commerce
Baldwinsville Central School District Overview | GreatSchools
Home
Baldwinsville Lacrosse
Bville Youth Lacrosse - News
Radisson Community
Radisson Greens Golf Course
THE TOWN OF LYSANDER NEW YORK
Welcome to Van Buren (http://www.townofvanburen.com/public_documents/index - broken link)
Foxfire Golf Course | Baldwinsville | Syracuse

and more info.:
Carousel Center
Armory Square :: Official Website for Historic Downtown Syracuse, NY
CNYREALTOR.COM | #1 in Syracuse real estate and homes for sale. Search over 6,000 listings. (look in onondaga county)
CNYHomes - Homes for Sale in Syracuse and Central New York - Your Search Results
Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau
Onondaga County, New York
UOLL 2009 | Upstate Outdoor Lacrosse League | Syracuse, NY
Central New York High School Boys Lacrosse - Syracuse.com
COR Companies | Towne Center at Fayetteville, Fayetteville NY
Shoppingtown Mall | Home -
Great Northern Mall | Home -
J. Michaels Shoes - your source for the hottest fashions and the coolest shoes. - If it's HOT, it's HERE! (http://www.jmichaelshoes.com/JMichael%20Shoes.html - broken link)
Paul Karaz Shoes
Charney's is another store for very nice clothing too.

Four Seasons Golf and Ski Center
Toggenburg Mountain Winter Sports Center
SONG MOUNTAIN RESORT
labradormtn.com - Home
Greek Peak Mountain Resort

Also, you could look in the Utica-Rome area and you would like areas like New Hartford and Clinton in that area.
City of Utica, Recreation - Skiing
Woods Valley Ski Area
Snow Ridge Ski Resort - "The East's Heaviest Snowfall"
Clinton Central School District Overview | GreatSchools
Clinton, New York: Historic Village of Clinton, NY Shopping & Entertainment Travel Guide
Clinton New York, Chamber of Commerce: Clinton, NY Business/Event Listing: located in Oneida County: home to Hamilton College, NY, 13323, Central ny, Clark Mills, Franklin Springs, Deansboro, Oriskany Falls, Utica, Central New York, Mohawk Valley, Cl
Village Of Clinton: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]
Welcome to Clinton Central School District
Clinton Warriors High School Lacrosse Home - MaxPreps
Town Of Kirkland: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]

New Hartford Central School District Overview | GreatSchools
Village Of New Hartford: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]
NHhomepage
New Hartford CSD - District Home
New Hartford Spartans High School Lacrosse Home - MaxPreps
The New Hartford Chamber of Commerce
Sangertown Square

http://www.uticaromerealtor.com/search/SearchRes.php (broken link)
Oneida County Convention & Visitors Bureau
Wow thank you. I will definitely look into this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 09:06 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,533,990 times
Pittsford, NY would be a great choice for you. It is a wealthy suburb of Rochester, with many large homes and new subdivisions. Pittsford has two of the best high schools in the entire nation. Also, like the rest of New York State, lacrosse is a major sport in high schools. Traffic in the Rochester area isn't bad, and there are few nice malls in the area. It has about as many places for teenagers to hang out as just about any other suburb in America (movie theaters, malls, restaurants, cafes, bookstores, arcades, sports/entertainment complexes, etc). Rochester isn't extremely blue collar or anything, but there are blue collar workers there. Also, you can go snowboarding in the Adirondacks.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:12 AM

I am liking the sound of Orchard Park and Pittsford. This is something I am definitely looking into, in fact I am looking up flights to Buffalo to spend a long weekend there and in Rochester. I may even look at some commercial real estate for the co.

Thank you very much.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:19 PM

159 posts, read 208,166 times
How about Deephaven Minnesota?

Home Page

Old 01-19-2010, 02:27 PM

56,538 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
I am liking the sound of Orchard Park and Pittsford. This is something I am definitely looking into, in fact I am looking up flights to Buffalo to spend a long weekend there and in Rochester. I may even look at some commercial real estate for the co.

Thank you very much.
Yes, Pittsford is arguably the Rochester area's most affluent community and has very good schools. Orchard Park is up there for the Buffalo area, but Williamsville is generally known as the most affluent community in that area. Clarence and Lancaster are also up there for the Buffalo area. Brighton and the eastern suburbs(along with Webster and Pittsford are Penfield and Fairport).

In the Syracuse area Fayetteville-Manlius and Skaneateles are neck and neck in terms of being the most affluent community. Cazenovia, the Westhill SD(Onondaga Hill and Westvale, but Onondaga Hill mainly) and Jamesville-DeWitt are others that are up there. Radisson Planned Community in the Baldwinsville SD is up there too. Hamilton in Madison County and the home of Colgate University is a nice, small community with some affluence.

In the Utica-Rome area, it's mainly New Hartford and Clinton, with the Whitesboro area having some areas that are pretty upscale.

In the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area, Niskayuna outside of Schenectady, North Colonie SD/Shaker High School(especially Latham and Loudonville), Delmar in the Bethlehem SD, Saratoga Springs, Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake, Columbia SD in East Greenbush and Guilderland are areas with affluence and lacrosse programs.

In the Binghamton area, Vestal and Chenango Valley would be choices. So would parts of the Johnson City SD.

In Elmira, Horseheads would fit too.

A sleeper is Corning, which is also a very, very good district for Lacrosse and has some very nice areas as well. Both East and West Highs, especially East High, are very good at Lacrosse. Ithaca also would be a good place to look.

In the Watertown area, General Brown would fit.

All of the school districts mentioned are very good and most have been mentioned not only on a state level, but national level for academic excellence to some degree.

You also have private school options in each of the areas I mentioned as well with Lacrosse teams. Schools like Syracuse's Christian Brothers Academy and Bishop Ludden, Manlius-Pebble Hill in DeWitt, Utica Notre Dame, Albany CBA, Troy LaSalle Institute, Binghamton Seton, Elmira Notre Dame, Watertown Immaculate Heart Conception(or just IHC), Rochester's McQuaid Jesuit and Aquinas Institute and the Buffalo area has the all Catholic Monsignor Martin League which includes schools like Timon-St. Jude, Canisius, the Nichols School, St. Joseph's Colligiate Institute and St. Francis.

I know way up north, they play Lacrosse too. I would say that Saranac Lake would be the only community that would fit the criteria.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:20 PM

Thank you again. I have been researching possible new hometowns, and I have come up with a list in no specific order of preference:
-Southlake, TX (Dallas)
-Cherry Hills Village, CO (Denver)
-Novi, MI (Detroit)
-Pittsford, NY (Rochester)
-Orchard Park, NY (Buffalo)
-Wayzata, MN (Minneapolis)
-Minnetonka, MN (Minneapolis)
-Solon, OH (Cleveland)

I know I said I would prefer cities with less traffic, but I have found some great suburbs like Southlake and Cherry Hills Village that I do not really want to rule out. I have almost ruled out Solon and Minnetonka. Right now it is between Orchard Park, Pittsford, Southlake, and Cherry Hills Village. My main concern is a school district with excellent athletics. All four of these towns seem to have many championship teams. I want my kids to be involved in sports.

Last edited by RussianIvanov; 01-20-2010 at 05:34 PM..

Old 01-20-2010, 07:35 PM

3,323 posts, read 9,568,403 times
If you're looking at the Cleveland suburbs you might want to also look into Chagrin Falls, Hudson, Hunting Valley, Bretanahl, etc. Cleveland has some very nice suburbs.

You might want to check out rating the suburbs from Cleveland Magazine Rating The Subrubs | Cleveland Magazine - Your guide to the best of Cleveland

Old 01-21-2010, 10:51 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,439,344 times
Short Hills, NJ?

Old 01-21-2010, 12:33 PM

174 posts, read 338,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Short Hills, NJ?
Is Short Hills, NJ, a good place for short people?

Old 01-21-2010, 01:23 PM

726 posts, read 1,869,563 times
If you have the cash for Cherry Hills Village, CO go for it. I currently live outside of Denver. I used to live near Orchard Park, NY. These are pretty different places. While OP is upscale for the Buffalo area it is not in the same league as Cherry Hills Village. You did mean Cherry Hills and not Cherry Creek? I only ask because I think the Cherry Creek schools are supposed to be pretty highly rated but I don't have kids so I don't know. Both areas (OP & CHV) will fit your needs but I give the edge to CHV because of the weather, quality of life and the other things you posted such as high end shopping, lots of blue collar workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or