U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,236 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm an 18 year-old girl from the Netherlands. I've studied French for a year in the Netherlands, but I would really like to go to school in the USA. Is there anyone who can tell me something about that or who can help me find a host family? If you want to know more about me or help me, please contact me: nardie_langenhof@hotmail.com
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 09:39 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,941,187 times
There are probably exchange programs you can join.

Please be careful who you go with and don't be afraid to complain if you think things are not as they should be. There is a lot of abuse in the exchange student system as some programs pay families to host foreign students. I know several who were treated poorly where the host family was only interested in the money and free labor they could get for hosting the students.

Americans are generally kind to foreigners and want you to have a good experience when you visit, so if you are having trouble, there should be no shortage of people willing to help you out. Just don't be afraid to speak up.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:23 PM

3,191 posts, read 4,134,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nar91 View Post
Hello!

I'm an 18 year-old girl from the Netherlands. I've studied French for a year in the Netherlands, but I would really like to go to school in the USA. Is there anyone who can tell me something about that or who can help me find a host family? If you want to know more about me or help me, please contact me: nardie_langenhof@hotmail.com
Thanks!
Hello Nar91, welcome to the forum! I graduated high school last year, and I can't speak for all American high schools. But sometimes high school here in the states can get cliquish (we're both teens I think we get the picture). But all around not a horrible experience, I myself have met foreign exchange students from Germany, Japan and Columbia and they had a good time here in Arizona. If you do decide to come, stay cool, be friendly and talk to someone who is lonely, make someone's day.

What states do you plan to go to?

Old 01-18-2010, 07:57 AM

9,431 posts, read 10,187,320 times
Student, Secondary (High School) (http://exchanges.state.gov/jexchanges/programs/hsstudent.html - broken link)
The United States Department of State has an excellent program you might qualify for.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:06 AM

648 posts, read 1,417,106 times
Just make sure you go to a good place. Being from the former USSR myself, if my first trip to the U.S. was a place like Akron, OH then your whole view of the U.S. will be depressing and boring and it would have probably made me want to leave the U.S.

If I was you, I would choose between NY, LA, Vegas, Miami, Chicago, and San Francisco. No offense to other cities but for your first time in the U.S. you should get a real great experience.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,962 times
Default High School Student Exchange Programs

Hi,
Quest International offers a variety of programs depending on where you want to go. We have multiple high schools partnerships all across United-States. Many of our students go to Philadelphia area, Chicago area and San Francisco area. Regarding Host Families we find a host family for you. For further details about this program, you can follow this link: High School USA Exchange Program- Learn more about Quest Programs (http://questexchange.org/programs-F1-highschool-usa.php - broken link)
I hope this helps.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,335 times
My son is going to study Grade 10 in USA in coming September.

He got an offer from Lake Forest Academy and Worchester Academy respectively.

Can anyone tell me which one is better, in terms of their study environment, cultures, acedemic standard?

Thanks.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:09 PM

22,672 posts, read 28,697,836 times
If you are 18, I suspect that you will be out of high school and into a junior college.

My suggestion would be to pick a few places that you think you might like to live and contact the junior college for that area and ask if they have a foreign exchange program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or