U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 05:25 PM

305 posts, read 339,211 times

Advertisements

Today, I drove past an ad placed in a bus shelter that said "This bus shelter shouldn't warmer than your home." I assume its talking about the homeless.

This got me thinking, what happens to the homeless on cold, very cold nights in Minneapolis? Where on certain nights, its possible to die from the cold in a matter hours. There are plenty of homeless shelters around, but I doubt they are able to take in ALL the homeless. Anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 06:56 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,898,397 times
I heard that in Anchorage, Alaska they constantly find the homeless frozen to the park benches. Its either find a shelter, keep warm in the tunnels like in NYC or freeze. That's it.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:59 PM

11,450 posts, read 13,764,160 times
What, where, and how the homeless deal with the cold is of little concern to a good, patriotic American.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:23 PM

7,282 posts, read 8,842,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMathYou View Post
Today, I drove past an ad placed in a bus shelter that said "This bus shelter shouldn't warmer than your home." I assume its talking about the homeless.

This got me thinking, what happens to the homeless on cold, very cold nights in Minneapolis? Where on certain nights, its possible to die from the cold in a matter hours. There are plenty of homeless shelters around, but I doubt they are able to take in ALL the homeless. Anyone have any ideas?
On extreme nights, the police will team up with shelter operators to try to convince the homeless to "come inside" and find a warm bed for the night, and some will go; many use the "heating grates" outside downtown municipal buildings; I have seen weather warnings placed on Internet sites to call the police if you see anyone in your neighborhood huddled in your area, etc.

It's hard to say how effective these measures are..

Old 01-19-2010, 08:33 PM

49,711 posts, read 49,186,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
On extreme nights, the police will team up with shelter operators to try to convince the homeless to "come inside" and find a warm bed for the night, and some will go; many use the "heating grates" outside downtown municipal buildings; I have seen weather warnings placed on Internet sites to call the police if you see anyone in your neighborhood huddled in your area, etc.

It's hard to say how effective these measures are..
In New York City, when the temperature dips to certain low (not sure exactly what the number is) the police are authorized to force the homeless to a shelter. Many don't want to go--they can be dangerous places. I see people when I'm walking to work in the morning who have their "spot" -- one is by a heating grate outside a closed church. Another just seems to be under a lot of heavy blankets. Some ride the subway system all night.

A few years ago the NY Times did an article on that part of the city's homeless population that just finds its way to Miami for the winter and returns in the spring.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:53 PM

7,282 posts, read 8,842,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In New York City, when the temperature dips to certain low (not sure exactly what the number is) the police are authorized to force the homeless to a shelter. Many don't want to go--they can be dangerous places. I see people when I'm walking to work in the morning who have their "spot" -- one is by a heating grate outside a closed church. Another just seems to be under a lot of heavy blankets. Some ride the subway system all night.

A few years ago the NY Times did an article on that part of the city's homeless population that just finds its way to Miami for the winter and returns in the spring.
Yes, there is the migration pattern, too..and the subways..

And actually, you're right--they ( the police) are compelled to physically take someone to a shelter, if the temp drops low enough..

Old 01-19-2010, 09:01 PM

5,610 posts, read 6,741,626 times
In the upper midwest, they are found frozen to death every year. Cities like detroit, minneapolis, chicago are very bad places to be homeless. That is why Florida and California are full of drifter type people, the weather is much kinder to them.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:05 PM

654 posts, read 1,091,027 times
Some go in the subways to stay warm. The other day when I was waiting for the Long Island Railroad at Jamaica Station I had to go into the AirTrain terminal because it was windy which made it feel colder than it was, and there were people sleeping in there.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:42 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,305,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
In the upper midwest, they are found frozen to death every year. Cities like detroit, minneapolis, chicago are very bad places to be homeless. That is why Florida and California are full of drifter type people, the weather is much kinder to them.

Most people can figure out how to stay alive during extreme cold weather though. It's a mistake you can only make once.

Normally during a winter, between 5 and 10 people in Chicago will die as a direct result of the cold weather - although most of them are in (for whatever reason) unheated or underheated homes.

There are normally reports of 1-3 homeless people in the city that freeze to death each winter.

I really don't know where they go - and I'm always amazed more people don't die granted how cold it can get. There are around 4,000 shelter beds in the city, but its estimated there are many more homeless than that. Many people avoid shelters like the plague for whatever reason. Many of them find heated grates or doorways and pile on the blankets.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:24 AM

597 posts, read 1,119,762 times
What they do on cold nitght is not most important.
Important is to do something for which there is no homeless in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or