Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:35 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
That's a complement, not an insult........................................
Says you.

To Daniel, I would say that most people in the Northeast don't think in such a ridiculous manner, but there is a strong influence, especially in NJ, from quasi-Marxist union thugs, minority "liberation" movements, illegal immigrants, machine politicians on the take, etc. New Jersey is essentially a Communist state at this point which is why I am reluctant to remain.

Rural Michigan and the UP seems beautiful although you guys have some nonsense to deal with as well, namely from the Detroit factor in MI.

The Northeast was never so horrible historically

Old 01-23-2010, 08:17 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
Some people rather hate and boost their own selves up rather than appreciate one's opinions and state why they disagree.

I think the haters are what make states look bad, every time I leave NJ to somewhere no where near NJ I here the most idiotic stereotypical crap about NJ. Those kinds of people make landing back in Newark appealing.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:19 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,787,372 times
Only in abject ignorance and selfishness can someone hate an entire state. Just look at the NJ forum and see all the people who hate their own state yet mysteriously choose to stay and live out their lives there...

Old 01-23-2010, 08:34 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,787,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I dont hate the northeast, but I dont like it very much. Too crowded,. too much city and WAY to liberal. Some places out there border on un-american.
Way to call 9/11 survivors "un-american".

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Are there stereotypes about the northeast, yea there are. Are alot of these stereotypes true??? yes I think they are. New Jersey, parts of NEw York and all of lower New England are the worst areas out there. The new TV show JErsey Shore is a picture of urban Northeast life for all of America to see. Some people dont like it when someone like me makes a broad sweeping statement about a whole state or region like this, but we all have preferences in what we like in a place. I prefer slower pace, traditional values and less people. THe south or the midwest is more my pace. Last summer I went out east on a trip, Maryland and eastern Pa. The place is insane, traffic, prices and unfriendly people. On my way home my mood lifted with every 100 miles I drove west, and when i got home I never appreciated my rural central Michigan home more than I did that day.
Traditional values? Like obese midwestern girls getting pregnant in high school and learning to talk "ghetto" so they can have loud arguments with their baby-daddy in every public place imaginable??? Traditional values like living in a veritable desert of countryside where the only oases are mega-gas stations with big convenience stores where you can pump your own gas, buy some coffee, a Subway sandwich, the weekly $10-20 of lottery tickets and scratch-offs, cigarettes, and car air fresheners??? Where "nightlife" consists of a few bars in strip malls where people are typically 40-50+ and behaving like adolescents (albeit adolescents who are obsessed with NASCAR) and playing cornhole???

That's funny.

As for "Jersey Shore", just try watching any episode of MTV's "Real World" and you'll learn that NJ isn't the only part of this country where young people like to "party" and get wild. Just because the ones in NJ have more style and strong accents they are still not much different from kids in the midwest or anywhere else. Hey, when I was 20-something I would rather wear a stylish shirt and expensive jeans or slacks to a club than dress like a midwestern 20-something wearing a polo shirt with my corporation, inc's logo on the left breast and a pair of dockers.

But un-american? If you ask me it's the un-american commies in the Midwest who are all clamoring to their unions, "THEY TUK ARRR JOBZZZ!!!" as if they are owed jobs by everyone else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brj2UkUPjCI

Last edited by BergenCountyJohnny; 01-23-2010 at 09:39 AM..

Old 01-23-2010, 08:35 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Hi Mike,

New Jersey really bothers me. I used to think it was 'the north,' like Chicago to Maine, but somewhere along the line I began to understand clearly that it was "Jersey/Florida diaspora". I could come up with a very wide variety of reasons for this, but ultimately it is the people that travel or relocate down here, and their attitudes and worldviews, that are the problem for me. I think this all started when I was 10 or 12, in Myrtle Beach, I began to notice what was going on. So I've been looking for really game-changing evidence about Jersey to change my mind, for about 15 years.

I do realize that New Jersey is not a monolith. It is always rated highly in education and income. I also realize that the people who show up in my area, may just be the flotsam of New Jersey society. I don't know. I have coworkers from New Jersey that are nice people. I have relatives held captive in New Jersey. But the bottom line is that New Jersey never fails to deliver high volumes of crude, obnoxious "in-your-face" behavior. So yes I hate the state, but I have hope for the future. I try to ignore my past experience when I meet someone, though.

I am friends with a lot of people from Philadelphia and New York, so frankly it is just encouraged around here anyway.

The good news is, with the advent of "Jersey shore", my Jersey-hate has now become more socially acceptable and widely understood.

People love ragging on NJ because NJ gets people places. I believe if people hate on other places is only because they're insecure where they're located.

I here so many narrow-minded people from the south who rag on NJ and complain how we have horrible people, but little do they know, when we think of the south we think of trashy, racist, uneducated "in your face" rednecks. (NJians move there because it's cheap, but the average NJian can afford places most southerners can't)

If you hate NJ people because of the show Jersey Shore, call yourself an ignoramous like the rest of the bashers. 7/8 of the people are not from NJ, the cast mates are from NYC/Poughkeepsie/Long Island/Staten Island/Rhode Island (it kind of contradicts your statement "I am friends with a lot of people from Philadelphia and New York, so frankly it is just encouraged around here anyway.")

Last edited by BPerone201; 01-23-2010 at 08:47 AM..

Old 01-23-2010, 11:53 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I can look at states-- especially in the Sunbelt-- with complete disdain because they do not offer the lifestyle I prefer. They create and exacerbate problems that shouldn't exist in the first place. It's fabulous that someone can buy as much worthless land in Texas as they want, but why didn't we as a nation force them to instead fix the seriously ill parts in the midwest and northeast?

Why did we colonize deserts, destroy the Colorado River ecosystem to throw water on sand in Texas and California, allow vast population booms in Georgia and Florida where water is at such a premium, build subways across fault lines and yet... do all of this in the most inefficient way possible? Wasn't it bad enough?

SoCal is on fire again. And what's worse is that mere inches of rain are causing mountains to melt over acres of suburbs that should not exist. Atlanta is worrying about water... again. What will become of Texas now that oil is again on the rise? Should we as a nation be forced to subsidize the illusion of choice for Americans to live in generic tract housing? I want people to pay for their own goddamn freeways. I want Houston and New Orleans to pay for their own insurance instead of forcing the nationwide premium increases that follow their continual natural disasters.

All of this in the name of choice, under the illusion of "leaving behind" problems. I've got news for you: we can't afford to fix your roads anymore. There's no money left to hospitalize another Katrina. God forbid such a thing ever happen to Houston or Miami, LA or San Fran, but it's really just a matter of time. When it does, we'll be stuck with the problems so many people "left behind" and the rest of us in Sustainable Land will have to pay for the other problems created.

That's my problem with vast swathes of this nation. I don't really hate Florida, but I despise what is being done to Florida's natural ecosystem. I can't even fathom why Arizona was ever settled or populated beyond a basic military base. Texas thrives under the illusion of prosperity, but shut off the Colorado and Northern tax money and we'll see just how fabulous its endless suburbs remain.
I will choose to ignore the remainder of this ridiculous post and ask you just what part of Texas receives one drop of water from the Colorado River? Please tell me what pipeline stretches across parts of either Utah, Colorado, Arizona or New Mexico (crossing the continental divide along the way) to bring one tiny drop of water to anywhere in Texas?

If your mean Las Vegas, Phoenix or Southern California, you might have a beef with water out of the Colorado River. Here in the large swath of unsustainable land in the DFW metroplex, we get all our water from resevoirs fed by rivers and streams in our immediate basin. No rainfall borrowed from the northeast mind you.

And--- Atlanta receives a larger amount of rainfall than most areas of the country. The contention is not that the Atlanta area does not have enough water to sustain it but that both river basins in the area flow into Alabama and Florida and these states want the vast majority for themselves and are holding up Georgians from receiving their fair share of what belongs to them.

And what road systems in the sunbelt are being disproportionately funded by your state? Cite a source and example please.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:57 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Some people rather hate and boost their own selves up rather than appreciate one's opinions and state why they disagree.

I think the haters are what make states look bad, every time I leave NJ to somewhere no where near NJ I here the most idiotic stereotypical crap about NJ. Those kinds of people make landing back in Newark appealing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Only in abject ignorance and selfishness can someone hate an entire state. Just look at the NJ forum and see all the people who hate their own state yet mysteriously choose to stay and live out their lives there...

Agree with you guys, New Jersey gets hated on alot. We down here in Texas also know what it like to have an entire state hated by ignorant people

Old 01-23-2010, 12:50 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Agree with you guys, New Jersey gets hated on alot. We down here in Texas also know what it like to have an entire state hated by ignorant people
That was the basis of my post, I guess. The fact that NJ can get typecasted in such a perjorative manner, but extending the argument spatially, how can any other ENTIRE state be similarly labeled negatively, when there is so much of it to see? The only reason I take exception to the negative NJ bashing is because I know pretty much of the entire state, being a native to it. But think about how others feel, a Texan, for instance, will likely never know the entirety of his or her state. It's virtually impossible, then someone on this forum or in a walk of life can label the entire state singularly as being "cowboy" etc. It really makes no sense.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:51 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
That was the basis of my post, I guess. The fact that NJ can get typecasted in such a perjorative manner, but extending the argument spatially, how can any other ENTIRE state be similarly labeled negatively, when there is so much of it to see? The only reason I take exception to the negative NJ bashing is because I know pretty much of the entire state, being a native to it. But think about how others feel, a Texan, for instance, will likely never know the entirety of his or her state. It's virtually impossible, then someone on this forum or in a walk of life can label the entire state singularly as being "cowboy" etc. It really makes no sense.

Good post

Old 01-23-2010, 12:56 PM

252 posts, read 724,412 times
Quote:
how can one cast dispersions and make blanket judgments on an entire state?
Maybe because I don't like the state and don't want to move there...?

Funny how you wrote all these paragraphs when the answer really is that simple. Yes, there are a few states I don't like -- at all. If you have a problem with it, tough. I'm sure there's people out there who don't like Texas (where I'm from) and that doesn't bother me.

I'm not out to win a popularity contest, just to associate with those I care about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.