U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-26-2010, 10:02 PM

4,478 posts, read 4,394,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
What about people who *love* the entire state?

Isn't that equally flawed?
I'll take a positive outlook that loves for better or worse any day of the week.

Unread 01-27-2010, 06:32 AM

2,706 posts, read 4,408,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Hi Mike,

New Jersey really bothers me. I used to think it was 'the north,' like Chicago to Maine, but somewhere along the line I began to understand clearly that it was "Jersey/Florida diaspora". I could come up with a very wide variety of reasons for this, but ultimately it is the people that travel or relocate down here, and their attitudes and worldviews, that are the problem for me. I think this all started when I was 10 or 12, in Myrtle Beach, I began to notice what was going on. So I've been looking for really game-changing evidence about Jersey to change my mind, for about 15 years.

I do realize that New Jersey is not a monolith. It is always rated highly in education and income. I also realize that the people who show up in my area, may just be the flotsam of New Jersey society. I don't know. I have coworkers from New Jersey that are nice people. I have relatives held captive in New Jersey. But the bottom line is that New Jersey never fails to deliver high volumes of crude, obnoxious "in-your-face" behavior. So yes I hate the state, but I have hope for the future. I try to ignore my past experience when I meet someone, though.

I am friends with a lot of people from Philadelphia and New York, so frankly it is just encouraged around here anyway.

The good news is, with the advent of "Jersey shore", my Jersey-hate has now become more socially acceptable and widely understood.
But the obnoxious characters from that show are from NY ... so do you have a hatred for all NYers now?

Your post is so silly. You mention that you have met, and work with nice people from NJ. So why do you continue to believe in the stereotype?

And how does it make you feel that most northerners have a stereotype of people from North Carolina being Nascar-watching hicks?

Unread 01-27-2010, 06:47 AM

1,712 posts, read 1,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
But the obnoxious characters from that show are from NY ... so do you have a hatred for all NYers now?

Your post is so silly. You mention that you have met, and work with nice people from NJ. So why do you continue to believe in the stereotype?

And how does it make you feel that most northerners have a stereotype of people from North Carolina being Nascar-watching hicks?

Many NY'ers on this site generalize and hate all of the South based on what a few wack individuals did generations ago.

Some have never even been to the South, yet think they are experts on it.

Unread 01-27-2010, 06:52 AM

5,263 posts, read 6,770,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Many NY'ers on this site generalize and hate all of the South based on what a few wack individuals did generations ago.

Some have never even been to the South, yet think they are experts on it.
It's a two way street.

Unread 01-27-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
What does this mean, NJ gets people places? Are you talking about Florida?

To be perfectly honest, it has nothing to do with Jersey shore, I can't even bring myself to watch anything but the previews of that show.

No, these real-life events are too much too frequent to call a coincidence.
Florida is one place, but NJians can afford more than half the country by the time work life is over. People can't stand it, so they bash NJ beyond belief stating how "poor", "trashy", and "run-down" 50 square miles (if that) of the state is... if only there was another 8,672 square miles to spare some beauty, brilliance, and entertainment

I agree, I don't like watching those trashy guidos from NY give the Jersey Shore a bad name. Ask the Jersey Shore natives, they will tell you how sickining it is. Theres also been so much controversy as well among Italian Americans all around NJ
Andre DiMino called for Jersey Shore to be canceled saying "enough is enough" and that the series isn't just an insult to Italian-Americans or Jersey Shore residents, but to everyone. Dimino claims that it has been clear from the beginning that it is MTV's intent to "ridicule, stereotype and defame Italian-Americans" and "to say to the world that this is what Italian-Americans are really like"

I'm an Italian from NJ, and i'm the farthest thing from a guido. You would think a person BY NOW would get the idea that reality TV is the farthest thing from reality.

Unread 01-27-2010, 07:42 AM

1,712 posts, read 1,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
It's a two way street.

I can agree with that

Unread 01-27-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
I can agree with that

Hey, I can't stand the northerners (especially the NJians/NYers) on here who use their location as a crutch to feel superior... And I'm from NJ!
It gives us (including me) a bad name, when a lot of us don't deserve it.

What I'm saying is, the bigger annoyance is the knowledgeable people who take advantage and embarrass themselves than the ignorant people who rely on stereotypes because they're clueless.

Unread 01-27-2010, 10:57 AM

7,732 posts, read 6,664,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post

Hey, I can't stand the northerners (especially the NJians/NYers) on here who use their location as a crutch to feel superior... And I'm from NJ!
It gives us (including me) a bad name, when a lot of us don't deserve it.

What I'm saying is, the bigger annoyance is the knowledgeable people who take advantage and embarrass themselves than the ignorant people who rely on stereotypes because they're clueless.
Hey, I think I speak for many here (Southern and otherwise) that consider you to NOT be one of those tools.

Your posts are balanced and non-insulting, unless of course you're sticking up for your State after an ignorant or flaming remark.

Unread 01-27-2010, 12:20 PM

11,366 posts, read 18,831,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I've noticed this prevailing trend amongst several posters and accompanying posts here, so I ask all of you who fall prey to this: how can one cast dispersions and make blanket judgments on an entire state? I think most everyone is guilty of it, on some level. I'll give you an example: I am from New Jersey, but I don't live there any longer. It seems when I traveled and told someone where I was from, or now, where I live in another location far from New Jersey, many will wrongfully label the entire state as an urban cesspool, filled with polluted air and mafia dons on every street corner. I believe much of this criticism is levied by those who have either blown through the state at 70 mph on the NJ Turnpike, or laid over in Newark Airport. Those who have lived in New Jersey a fair amount of time know this to be completely untrue. I was just in my home state on Xmas break and was reminded of how different various regions, and counties are, from one another. And New Jersey is the 4th smallest state in the union! And yet, this pattern transcends to anonymous posters on C-D.com! How, then, must someone who lives in say, Texas, feel about an out-of-stater labeling the ENTIRE 250000 + square miles as 'flat', 'dusty', 'full of hicks', etc, when in reality, Texas has at least 5 distinct regional flavors, and arguably many more? The same for someone who can label all of New York state, negatively, in a certain way, Florida (900 miles from Pensacola to Key West), etc, and the granddaddy of all the C-D.com whipping boy states, in my opinion, California, which in reality, is likely to be, by far, the most diverse state in the union, in almost every conceivable fashion.

I guess that's my question, and it's steeped in rhetoric. How can someone, with any degree of intellectual honesty, feel that they can negatively typecast an entire state, with any degree of integrity, especially if they haven't lived or even traveled extensively there? Lately, we are expanding this paradigm to regions: merely going negative on an entire state is no longer satisfactory!

I can see a situation where someone can claim to dislike a city, for whatever reason, because the spatial/cultural envelope is much more defined and contained. But to extend this rationale onto states is impractical.
mike - great question. in my nearly 3 years on C-D, I can tell within the first 2 sentences of someone's post how well traveled and open minded during those travels he/she are. those who haven't been within 50 miles of their hometown are the ones more often than not the bashers, haters, and ignoramuses. i'm NOT saying that people who HAVEN'T been a lot of places are ignorant though before anyone jumps down my throat.

Those who have at least an ounce of intelligence and aren't well traveled will never bash an entire region based on stupid and silly stereotypes. When I read a post that says "the entire state of Georgia is filled with inbred rednecks" or "Mass is full of uptight liberal elites who are un-American", I can write them off right away.

There are places I don't care for, but for EVERY place I haven't particularly "liked", I can name at LEAST one positive quality (and no, not "They have an airport so I can get the hell out of there", LOL). It's a shame we all can't be more honest about all the places in our great country without feeling we're putting "our" place down. One of my favorite sayings on these boards are "You don't have to put my place down to make your place look better".

Unread 01-27-2010, 12:58 PM

13,863 posts, read 11,735,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
What about people who *love* the entire state?

Isn't that equally flawed?
Probably, more or less.

Although some think that you should try to love everyone so I guess they could mean it in that way. I don't think anyone believes you should try to hate everyone or everything. Also I think some would say if you have a mix of emotions it's better to only mention the positives or the strongest ones you feel.

As implied in my first post on hating a state I think emotional expressions about states are also not meant to be entirely literal. I've said I "love Arkansas" but I don't mean I have experienced everything in Arkansas and love every part of it. I also don't mean there's nothing in Arkansas I hate. It's just an expression of the fondness, possibly sentimental fondness, I have for my place of birth which really means Northwest Arkansas. Many mean a specific region or quality when they say they "love" or "hate" a state and I think that can be fairly clear in conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.