Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 04:05 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Many NY'ers on this site generalize and hate all of the South based on what a few wack individuals did generations ago.

Some have never even been to the South, yet think they are experts on it.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:19 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

Big difference.... I am from the North

Old 01-27-2010, 05:59 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Big difference.... I am from the North
No difference at all.

You should not be complaining about other people mouthing off stupid negative sterotypes when you are constantly doing it yourself.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
No difference at all.

You should not be complaining about other people mouthing off stupid negative sterotypes when you are constantly doing it yourself.
The fact that I have lived half my life in the North and know that more than half the time the stereotypes of the North are true...

....versus many people on here that have visited the South no more than a visit at an airport that know nothing other than a stereotype and can't form an opinion as to the validity...

Yes, there is a big difference

Old 01-27-2010, 07:06 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:

Exactly...

Old 01-27-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Exactly...

You are one to talk about relying on false stereotypes regarding places you have never been. Many people have called you on this

How do you hate the entire state of Texas.... we all know (and you admitted to us) that you have never been here

Same with any other Southern or Midwestern state....

Old 01-28-2010, 02:40 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
But the obnoxious characters from that show are from NY ... so do you have a hatred for all NYers now?

Your post is so silly. You mention that you have met, and work with nice people from NJ. So why do you continue to believe in the stereotype?
My stereotype was built over many years and many experiences with many people. I can see that y'all want to marginalize my life experience by claiming that I formed this opinion based on what I saw on television.

I would need to be acquainted with hundreds of "cool and normal" Jersey-ites before this stereotype ever dissipated.

Quote:
And how does it make you feel that most northerners have a stereotype of people from North Carolina being Nascar-watching hicks?
I'm torn between apathy and excitement.

If we could convince these people that North Carolina is a bunch of hicks, we could get the worst ones to turn around and go back to wherever they came from. The intelligent ones who are able to form their own opinions will stay, and it'll all work out fine.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:55 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Florida is one place, but NJians can afford more than half the country by the time work life is over. People can't stand it, so they bash NJ beyond belief stating how "poor", "trashy", and "run-down" 50 square miles (if that) of the state is... if only there was another 8,672 square miles to spare some beauty, brilliance, and entertainment
Yeah, I agree.

Those 8,672 square miles might be awesome, I don't know. If they were so awesome then it seems peculiar that they would need to move down here and **** me off.

Quote:
I agree, I don't like watching those trashy guidos from NY give the Jersey Shore a bad name. Ask the Jersey Shore natives, they will tell you how sickining it is. Theres also been so much controversy as well among Italian Americans all around NJ
Andre DiMino called for Jersey Shore to be canceled saying "enough is enough" and that the series isn't just an insult to Italian-Americans or Jersey Shore residents, but to everyone. Dimino claims that it has been clear from the beginning that it is MTV's intent to "ridicule, stereotype and defame Italian-Americans" and "to say to the world that this is what Italian-Americans are really like"
Yeah I heard about that. I guess as a white southerner I am used to cultural disparagement.

There's no way that I can convey the experiences I've had. Suffice to say that the Anglo culture that I grew up with, and the Italian culture that is moving down here, are like oil and water. One of the aforementioned friends-of-mine, from Philly of Italian descent, pointed this out. His words were: "It is weird, you guys, like, have lawyers that don't brag about it and don't show off, and you'd never know they were lawyers wearing t-shirts and driving beat up trucks."

Quote:
I'm an Italian from NJ, and i'm the farthest thing from a guido. You would think a person BY NOW would get the idea that reality TV is the farthest thing from reality.
Well, the 30-seconds or so of "Jersey Shore" that I watched looked like some sort of reenactment of what I would see in college.

College was really where I started to develop my resentment of the "guido," from all the hair-gel aficionados who moved here since "Rutgahs was too expensive."

Rather than telling complicated and detailed stories from college, it is just easier for me to point to a television show.

Last edited by le roi; 01-28-2010 at 03:51 PM..

Old 01-28-2010, 03:35 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Wait................. Out of towners are still trying to pin the entire "meathead" thing on New Jersey like New York isn't the Mecca & Medina of said types? If that makes you feel better, I guess.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:58 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Yeah, I agree.

Those 8,672 square miles might be awesome, I don't know. If they were so awesome then it seems peculiar that they would need to move down here and **** me off.
Because it's affordable. the majority of NJians who move down south hate the south itself, but having a bigger house, and being a part of a wealthier crowd is what draws a lot of NJians there.
I know this is true. Even the fellow southerners on CD talk about ex-northerners and how they constantly complain about missing the north.

(NJ earnings go way farther in all of the south)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.