Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2010, 12:57 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I believe it is something that is ingrained in us at birth. Along with the birth certificate, we're given a one-way ticket south, redeemable at retirement.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:58 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
This is a shining example of the polite quality which I did enjoy down south.
I personally believe that manners are not regional...the South does have a reputation for friendly/polite people, but we all know that these people are found in abundance throughout every region.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:14 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I have to say that most southerners don't feel the way augr0399 feels. The majority of us are very welcoming to newcomers and like to make you feel at ease around us. Come down anytime...to visit or to stay. You're certainly welcome.
Understood, and thanks.

I was just having a little fun, anyway. I'm not going to live there, but I have visited ( Fort Worth, Austin ( x 2), Raleigh, and NoVa ( if that counts), and enjoyed myself each time. I have no interest in Florida,though--not even as a visitor; if I'm interested in a warm-weather, palm-tree site for a visit, I'd much rather go to CA.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:17 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Don't forget though that the North is not all urban settings. Most of the North is rural, very rural. You can have a higher pay scale, lower cost of living and still be able to enjoy 4 real seasons and all the activities that go with them in most of the North. Where I live, I make double what I ever did living further South, and my cost of living is only 75% of the national average. Which is lower than a lot of places in Texas. Yes there are places that are lower, but they are further out from larger cities than I am and have less to offer.
True, but this really only applies to areas outside of the smaller cities. You can live in desirable neighborhoods in major cities in the south for much cheaper.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:42 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My friend moved to Raleigh and works in retail. She said she regularly gets bible worshippers who randomly come in to talk to the workers and customers about God and all. My friend isn't religious, so those same worshippers keep coming back to the store and telling her how they can save her. She said it's really annoying and nothing like this happened back in NY. If it's like that in one of the bigger cities in the south, I can't imagine the smaller towns.
This happens, but it's not as if there South is packed with a bunch of Bible-thumpers who spend their time trying to convert one another.

Of course there are people who are very religious in the South (as there is in the Northeast)...and yes there are some who are overbearingly religious...but it's a small minority.

As much as some people would like to believe otherwise, people are quite tolerant down South. Most of my friends from Carolinas/Georgia are religious and politically conservative. I'm not religious and I'm relatively moderate but lean mostly to the left politically. People didn't spend their time trying to convert me...if I was confronted by someone like that, I politely said no and eventually they'd leave me alone.

Living with the image that the Southeast is filled with only these maniacal religious types is as bad as someone thinking that cities like New York, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, etc are filled with nothing but homeless people.

Your friend is simply focusing on one negative aspect of her life down South, which is a shame.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:02 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
True, but this really only applies to areas outside of the smaller cities. You can live in desirable neighborhoods in major cities in the south for much cheaper.
Not really.

Royal Oak - COL 89% of national average
Rochester Hills - 90%
Grosse Pointe Woods - 95%
(Stand alone city) Grand Rapids metro area of 776,000 - 81%

Spring Valley - 101%
Bellaire - 100%
Sugar Land - 93%
(Stand alone city)El Paso metro area of 742,000 - 80%

From what I can see, there isn't an economic advantage to live in one of your "desirable" neighborhoods, over a desirable neighborhood up here.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:17 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Since most Northerners earn 30% more than Southerners I suppose the South is getting their portion that couldn't earn a living up there.

You are bragging about your $8.00 per hour jobs with no health insurance?

Come on down to Dallas Northerners!

There is a bland apartment, in a cookie-cutter, treeless suburb with your name on it.

You can be a cashier at Walmart or serve food at Chick-filet.
awesome, Im going to Dallas then, and Im going to chick-fil-a later, gotta love it.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:32 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Things I would think are cost of living, weather, and living conditions. You could be living the American dream on some of the salaries northerners make while living in cramped and dirty apartments in the middle of a war zone. I don't think it has to do with northerners hating the north; just these types of issues.
CQ Press: City Crime Rankings 2009
Metro Crime Rate Rankings (High to Low)
1. Pine Bluff, AR
2. Memphis, TN-MS-AR
3. Saginaw, MI
4. Miami-Dade County, FL M.D.
5. New Orleans, LA
6. Florence, SC

7. Las Vegas-Paradise, NV
9. Albuquerque, NM
10. Fayetteville, NC
11. Columbus, GA-AL
12. Little Rock, AR
13. Jackson, TN

14. Flint, MI
15. Stockton, CA
16. Lawton, OK
17. Shreveport-Bossier City, LA
18. Orlando, FL
19. Jacksonville, FL
20. Mobile, AL
21. Birmingham-Hoover, AL
22. Sumter, SC
23. Miami (greater), FL

24. San Francisco (greater), CA
25. Macon, GA

Old 01-21-2010, 02:34 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
That's just an inaccurate statement. Schools are considered "good" or "bad" based on the individual school - not the entire region. Some schools in the north are better, but some are among the worst. It's the same in every region.
Moderator cut: links removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 07:39 AM..

Old 01-21-2010, 02:59 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
CQ Press: City Crime Rankings 2009
Metro Crime Rate Rankings (High to Low)
1. Pine Bluff, AR
2. Memphis, TN-MS-AR
3. Saginaw, MI
4. Miami-Dade County, FL M.D.
5. New Orleans, LA
6. Florence, SC
7. Las Vegas-Paradise, NV
9. Albuquerque, NM
10. Fayetteville, NC
11. Columbus, GA-AL
12. Little Rock, AR
13. Jackson, TN
14. Flint, MI
15. Stockton, CA
16. Lawton, OK
17. Shreveport-Bossier City, LA
18. Orlando, FL
19. Jacksonville, FL
20. Mobile, AL
21. Birmingham-Hoover, AL
22. Sumter, SC
23. Miami (greater), FL
24. San Francisco (greater), CA
25. Macon, GA
I don't think he was saying the North is a warzone...he was just saying that money doesn't go as far in the North as it does down South. For the same amonut of money, we could be living in a nice neighborhood in the South vs an undesirable one in a Northeastern city. Which is true in some cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.