Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 07:46 PM

6,749 posts, read 21,998,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Annnnd Missouri is miserably hot and sticky.

And Chicago is not "dreadfully cold". There are almost 9 million people in the area who manage just fine.
9 million people!!! Is there 9 million people in all of Kentucky???? Wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 11:09 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,337,195 times
Quote:

And Chicago is not "dreadfully cold". There are almost 9 million people in the area who manage just fine.
Missouri gets pretty cold in the winter...it doesn't stay cold like Chicago but is perfectly capable of reaching subzero temperatures in the wintertime. Missouri has hot, sticky summers and cold winters. Most people in Missouri manage the summers fine here too. Missouri's summers are nothing like the kind of hot you find in most of the Southern states.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:35 PM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Missouri gets pretty cold in the winter...it doesn't stay cold like Chicago but is perfectly capable of reaching subzero temperatures in the wintertime. Missouri has hot, sticky summers and cold winters. Most people in Missouri manage the summers fine here too. Missouri's summers are nothing like the kind of hot you find in most of the Southern states.
That is true, but I enjoy my summer lows in the 30s through the 50s here in the north.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:03 AM

418 posts, read 1,275,811 times
Quote:

Manage just fine doens't mean it's not dreadfully cold, especially for someone coming from Houston.

Missouri summers are the worst tho IMO. The humidity is horrible. I manage just fine, but it still sucks.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:07 AM

418 posts, read 1,275,811 times
I think KC or STL would be a good choice. KC has lower cost of living. Both are not unreasonable far drives to other places in the midwest tho STL is closer.

KC is a fun city, a lot of interesting stuff in the urban core. I think BEST city in Midwest is definitely won by Chicago, but if you want a slower pace then Houston, Chicago is out.

I work in the IT field, and left my job in October and found had about 4-5 to choose from right afterwards.... but as with any place in the US right now, the recession has made it a bit more difficult. Contract jobs seem to be plentiful in the IT field in KC at the moment.

I'd go to the forums of some of the cities your interested in and ask the residents directly a few questions.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:53 AM

26,374 posts, read 46,217,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrazzle View Post
I think KC or STL would be a good choice. KC has lower cost of living. Both are not unreasonable far drives to other places in the midwest tho STL is closer.

KC is a fun city, a lot of interesting stuff in the urban core. I think BEST city in Midwest is definitely won by Chicago, but if you want a slower pace then Houston, Chicago is out.

I work in the IT field, and left my job in October and found had about 4-5 to choose from right afterwards.... but as with any place in the US right now, the recession has made it a bit more difficult. Contract jobs seem to be plentiful in the IT field in KC at the moment.

I'd go to the forums of some of the cities your interested in and ask the residents directly a few questions.
Yes, the COL in both KC and STL is quite a bit lower than the national average.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:05 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,197,228 times
I think one problem with a lot of the cities mentioned is that the OP said Houston is too fast paced. So Chicago is out for sure. I think most other larger cities are going to be similarly paced compared to Houston.

Maybe a midsized city would be best. Appleton is still nice since you liked it there, but it is smaller and very slow. Madison might be a good median. There is a lot going on. It can be faster at times, but that's usually confined to the areas around campus. It is a very large University so there are a lot of students, but it also a very prestigious University. It is ranked in many categories and that means that there are going to be a decent amount of jobs in the area.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:24 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,534,858 times
Quote:

It is too dreadfully cold!

Old 02-16-2009, 02:29 PM

8,940 posts, read 17,164,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
Indianapolis is a decent city and it's dirt cheap. Look into the north side of town in neighborhoods like Kessler-Meridian.
It's actually Meridian-Kessler

Old 02-16-2009, 08:36 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,337,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is true, but I enjoy my summer lows in the 30s through the 50s here in the north.
You mean the Northeast Missouri for all intents and purposes is more northern than southern in most areas, anyway. You yourself said 3/4 of it is humid continental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.