U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 05:21 PM

13 posts, read 77,206 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in TX near Houston, but my wife and I are eventually planning on moving near to where I grew up in the Midwest. The pace of life is a little to fast for me here in Houston. I grew up near the Appleton, WI area, which is where most of my family currently is. My major is the the computer science field, and I've heard that many jobs in that field are in Minneapolis. I'm also considering Indiana though because I'm a huge Colts fan and would like to go to many of their games, but also the Fox Cities in Wisconsin to be near my family. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 07:15 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,904,816 times
Well...I guess the closest cities I could think of around the areas for you would be Indianapolis, Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis...seem to be roughly all around thea areas you mention.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:58 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,411,770 times
Move to Chicago, best city in the midwest, my 2nd fave in the nation. Just be wise and not wear any Colts jerseys here.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:14 PM

766 posts, read 2,269,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtimm28 View Post
I'm currently living in TX near Houston, but my wife and I are eventually planning on moving near to where I grew up in the Midwest. The pace of life is a little to fast for me here in Houston. I grew up near the Appleton, WI area, which is where most of my family currently is. My major is the the computer science field, and I've heard that many jobs in that field are in Minneapolis. I'm also considering Indiana though because I'm a huge Colts fan and would like to go to many of their games, but also the Fox Cities in Wisconsin to be near my family. Any thoughts?
Chicago and Minneapolis are generally the strongest areas in the Midwest for computer scientists, although if you thought that the pace of life in Houston was too fast, be forewarned that Chicago has a much faster pace than Houston (I'm a Chicagoan that's traveled to Houston on a number of occasions and it very noticeably calmer in Texas). Minneapolis has a pace that's probably very similar or slightly faster compared to Houston. It's definitely a misnomer to think that the large Midwestern cities are slower paced - that might be true compared to NYC or Washington, but definitely not applicable when compared to the Sunbelt. The smaller towns, on the other hand, probably provide more of the pace that you're looking for, although the problem is that the tech jobs aren't as plentiful. The Midwestern college towns might provide more opportunities in your field (i.e. Madison and Champaign) while giving you more of the atmosphere that you're looking for.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:11 AM

1,124 posts, read 3,226,260 times
I'm from St. Louis so I can tell you a little bit about it if your considering their. The winters are cold and the summers are hot. The city has had a crime problem but it really depends on where you live in the city (Almost all of St. Louis county is perfectly safe). Depending on how much money you have and what type of neighborhood you'r looking at: South City is the most racially diverse place and has some moderate crime but has a pretty good cost of living. North City is a crime infested ghetto where you can get murdered or robbed just walking by. West Side of the city is Pretty white upper-middle class and has little crime. The houses their are very unique. Central West End is probably the nicest area to live but the houses are pretty pricey. Hope I helped, good luck

Old 01-17-2009, 10:33 AM

351 posts, read 541,286 times
Indianapolis is a decent city and it's dirt cheap. Look into the north side of town in neighborhoods like Kessler-Meridian.

St. Louis is also a great and unbelievably underrated city. I lived in Chesterfield for a while and absolutely loved living in West County.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:24 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times
Before you commit to Indiana, check and see if any Colts tickets are ever available, As you probably know, Packers tickets are all sold as season tickets, and the waiting list for tickets is years long. That may also be true of the Colts, and you would never see a game, even if you lived actoss the street from the stadium.

I agree with the above poster---St. Louis is probably the most underrated city in the USA. It is a wonderful city, great people with a lot of civic pride. So is Kansas City, but there would be a problem with KC---a lot of well-qualified people love it so much, the refuse to leave when their job goes south, so any job available is quickly grabbed up by somebody alrady there. Missouri is a great place to live, even outside the metro areas.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:02 PM

20,848 posts, read 35,952,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Before you commit to Indiana, check and see if any Colts tickets are ever available, As you probably know, Packers tickets are all sold as season tickets, and the waiting list for tickets is years long. That may also be true of the Colts, and you would never see a game, even if you lived actoss the street from the stadium.

I agree with the above poster---St. Louis is probably the most underrated city in the USA. It is a wonderful city, great people with a lot of civic pride. So is Kansas City, but there would be a problem with KC---a lot of well-qualified people love it so much, the refuse to leave when their job goes south, so any job available is quickly grabbed up by somebody alrady there. Missouri is a great place to live, even outside the metro areas.
I completely disagree about your opinion regarding Kansas City. Younger professionals and people with higher education often leave the city because it is fairly regressive politically, and with wages that are lower than average. Another option in KC is Johnson County KS, but it is just terribly bland and not desirable at all for singles and professionals. I generally look for more than just a job when I look to relocate. I look at the entire package.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:18 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I completely disagree about your opinion regarding Kansas City. Younger professionals and people with higher education often leave the city because it is fairly regressive politically, and with wages that are lower than average. Another option in KC is Johnson County KS, but it is just terribly bland and not desirable at all for singles and professionals. I generally look for more than just a job when I look to relocate. I look at the entire package.
But people with families love it. It is clean and safe and educational standards are high, there are virtually no slums or major traffic congestion. Drug use and radical political activity are very low, as is the overall cost of living. There is a real winter, but it is mercifully short. And, the OP said the pace of life was too fast in Houston, so he's not looking for the same thing you are.

Let's look at your "bland" Johnson County, the largest suburb being Shawnee (pop. 40K):
2008 cost of living index in Shawnee: 78.9 (U.S. average is 100)
Crime rate Shawnee KS = 166 (US average 320)
# Bachelor's degree or higher: 39.5%
# Graduate or professional degree: 12.5%
# Unemployed: 1.9%
# Mean travel time to work: 20.6 minutes

How does your favorite city compare with that?

2008 cost of living index in Concord NH: 118.6
Crime rate in Concord NH - 163
# Bachelor's degree or higher: 30.7%
# Unemployed: 3.7%
# Mean travel time to work: 20.5 minutes

Last edited by jtur88; 01-17-2009 at 01:42 PM..

Old 01-17-2009, 01:44 PM

20,848 posts, read 35,952,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
But people with families love it. It is clean and safe and educational standards are high, there are virtually no slums or major traffic congestion. Drug use and radical political activity are very low, as is the overall cost of living. And, the OP said the pace of life was too fast in Houston, so he's not looking for the same thing you are.

Let's look at your "bland" Johnson County, the largest suburb being Shawnee (pop. 40K):
2008 cost of living index in Shawnee: 78.9 (U.S. average is 100)
Crime rate Shawnee KS = 166 (US average 320)
# Bachelor's degree or higher: 39.5%
# Unemployed: 1.9%
# Mean travel time to work: 20.6 minutes

How does your favorite city compare with that?
Yes, JOCO caters a little too much to families even compared with metro areas around the US. When I lived there I knew many single people who moved elsewhere because it lacked entertainment, a lack of non-chain restuarants, a general lack of cultural functions/events, and not much in the way of outdoor activities either. I move around quite a bit, and don't like to be tied down to one particular area unlike many other Plains people that prefer to settle down. That's fine for some people- and suburbs are a good fit for them.

If I were to live in the Midwest again it would probably be either Minneapolis or Chicago. I prefer the Upper Midwest overall compared to the Lower Midwest.

However, I live in a smaller city right now because I am not a big city person. If I had to live in a large metro I would, but it would lessen my quality of life.

"and radical political activity are very low," OK? Suburbs are not usually very liberal, and JOCO voters generally fit into the social conservative camp, the moderate camp, and some liberals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or