U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2007, 01:42 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,612,958 times

Advertisements

You might be wrong. It could a two bedroom in Houston .
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 04:29 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,733,851 times
A "two bedroom" appt? You pulling my leg? Now THAT would surprise me. I don't expect a two bedroom for that price but should be able to get a one bedroom in a decent area. What's the QUALITY of apartments in both states?
Meaning...Fridge/Stove/nice interior/carpeting/ceiling fan and general upkeep.

In California you need to pay about $1,500 to get ammenities that should automatically come with your place. Well?

Old 05-27-2007, 08:24 PM

Most of the cheaper apartments are away from inner Houston. Inner Houston has a lot of trendy/expensive apartments. I went ahead and searched for some for you:

Apartments.com - Search Results

Old 05-27-2007, 08:50 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,253,659 times
I decided to look up some rentals in Portland. I was amazed that they had some cheaper than here on the coast of Oregon. Portland prices are going up which would hit you as far as rent money goes. I mean you could find something at the price you want now but your rent would go up sometime in the future.

Maybe it's best to pick a more afforable place. If you want to check out rentals you can do that at the newspaper online OregonLive.com: Everything Oregon
You could do that for the other cities you are considering too.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:16 PM

832 posts, read 3,559,027 times
Houston has no zoning and $600 will get you a one bedroom

Old 05-28-2007, 12:58 AM

116 posts, read 569,747 times
Portland has many of the things you're looking for. It is definitely walkable, is very bicycle friendly, and has great public transportation. It's a very liberal city and has a lot of great old and funky neighborhoods filled with neat shops, restaurants, and the like. That being said, the job market is only so-so, and it is gloomy for significant portions of the year.

You should check out craigslist for some apartment options. It will be tough to find a nice one bedroom in an interesting part of the city for $600.00. Still, depending on what you looking for, it can be done. You should definitely be able to find a single for that price. Whatever you choose, make sure it is walking distance to some coffee houses and shops. As it does rain (drizzle) a lot, you'll need to have some places to walk to close by to avoid a case of cabin fever in the winter.

Good luck.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:35 AM

5,375 posts, read 12,995,265 times
I honestly think Portland is the best fit for you.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:01 AM

832 posts, read 3,559,027 times
Houston, would be the bettert choice. More caeer options, world class city, 6 largest skyline in the world, a theater district thats larger every but New York City. Multi Cultural. World class museum district, all this for 80% of national average.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:26 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,733,851 times
Hi guys,

Thank you all for your "valued" input. Moving is never an easy thing to do. It takes a lot of courage and strength to move to a foreign city where you don't know anyone. For me it's not as difficult as with most people as I'm a risk taker. Still there is a certain degree of fear and anxiety that comes with the territory.

Honestly, outside of Cali, NY or Chicago I can't see myself anywhere but Houston or Portland. Many people have also suggested Austin but I don't see myself thriving in that type of environment. I am not looking to make the move for school, I'm looking to relocate for the rest of my life, well at least that's the idea at this point.

The decision has to be carefully made and everything needs to be taken in to consideration. That's precisely why I value all of your input. So far, I'm strongly drawn to the climate of Portland as I love overcast weather but I'm not in to "heavy rain" I like "fog and overcast" the "gloom" is UPLIFTING and SERENE to me...

Portland's poor economy is an issue. In fact, it's a VERY SERIOUS issue. If I can't make a living I can't pay my bills and risk homelessness. I understand Portland has a high homeless population? How do these people live if it's raining all the time? Do you guys have shelters or missions for them or are they stranded in the streets?

I realize a liberal and socially humane community is important but having a sense of job security is pretty critical as well.

The greenery/bohemian artsy small independent communities are a huge plus as that's what I'm seeking. Portland has that and an excellent transit system so I can get pretty much anywhere. But there's cost of living and "surprisingly" for a liberal state I didn't think the cost of living would be high. It seems that Portland is running neck to neck with Chicago. Only I think Chicago IS without question one of the best cities in the U.S. and offers just about anything imaginable.

It would be nice if Portland was more affordable and had a lower cost of living. I guess it comes down to politics and those who run the state. I don't blame the average citizen for the way the states exploit the land and weather.

Houston: Humidity stinks. The sprawl is not good. Rail is in the works but won't be ready until 2012.

Pro's: Very rich culture with mixed ethnic groups. Bustling entertainment and world class theaters next to NY. Cost of living is one of the lowest in the whole U.S. "this just doesn't include housing" but supposedly everything. The locals "assured me" that the bus system is "excellent" and operated round the clock so I won't have any issues of being stranded. Crime appears to be in select pockets of the city but in general the locals say that it's nowhere near the crime you'd expect in other big cities.

The other "two key benefits" is a very strong economy and the jobs supposedly pay very well. Unemployment is supposed to be one of the lowest in the nation. So that means everyone's working and can at least put food on the table. The 2nd key point is the tremendous resources that come with a big city population.

Houstonians swear by the fact that Houston is more liberal than conservative in their thinking and politics. Not as much as Austin but still liberal minded with the "let and let live" mentality of tolerance. Many people fear Texas because they feel that they will get stuck in a right wing bible belt town.

Now here's my only dilemma.. Making the difficult decision. Socially, Culturally and weather wise I see Portland. Cost of living management, job security, growth and promotion, variety and education I see Houston.

I just hate having to choose between two wonderful cities but there's a lot to take in to consideration as you can see.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:04 PM

Houston has a lot of culture. It is third (only to Los Angeles and New York), in foreign consular offices. Houston has America's largest Nigerian population, and Texas' largest Asian population (Vietnamese, Chinese, Indian, etc.).

Weather wise, I think you can adjust. If I could get a better Cost of living management, job security, growth and promotion, variety and education, but the weather wouldn't be all that great, I would still move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or