U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 03:35 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,732,736 times

Advertisements

Thanks Guerilla. Anyone else have some thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 08:39 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,771,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Houston has a lot of culture. It is third (only to Los Angeles and New York), in foreign consular offices. Houston has America's largest Nigerian population, and Texas' largest Asian population (Vietnamese, Chinese, Indian, etc.).

Weather wise, I think you can adjust. If I could get a better Cost of living management, job security, growth and promotion, variety and education, but the weather wouldn't be all that great, I would still move there.
Houston is more than worth the weather. Besides, if ever there's an overcast (about to rain) and you're on the freeway, open all your windows and you'll forget all about how hot it was earlier.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:35 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,732,736 times
How are the laws in Houston/Harris County? Many people see Texas as very oppressive, religious and conservative.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:44 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,771,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
How are the laws in Houston/Harris County? Many people see Texas as very oppressive, religious and conservative.
Only in the least bit. Houston is no longer a state city. It's a world city.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:11 PM

22 posts, read 51,545 times
Hey supernova! Hows your move going? We have spoken before about moving to houston. Houston and atlanta top my list of relocation sites rite now. I came across this post and just want to say, I think seattle should not be scratched off the list. It is not as expensive here as one would like you to believe. I bring home about $1700/month (thanx starbucks!) i live comfortably.

I am in a very walkable neighborhood-Columbia city, on the south side. It is in the city limits, ALL major races and groups are represented. There are shops, churches, community centers, restaraunts, a indoor swapmeet, farmers market from may-oct., schools, a library, BEAUTIFUL PARKS, lake washington access in a 5-10 minute walk, flex-car (car sharing), a revamped single screen movie theater 20 yards away,bars/taverns, a butcher, laundromats, fitness centers, on major bus line #7 runs about 23hours a day to DT.

I pay $610 for a 650sq ft apartment. It is no Bev hills mansion, but clean and i have friendly neighbors. I work downtown, i love the metro system. I can get a pass for about $45/month and able to get to work dt by 430am. can get home as late as 330am from dt, and about 1am from other areas.

Diversity wise, I see a little of everybody. Citizens get along here and help each other out. There are asians, africans, latins, blacks, eastern europeans, others all represented. Sure, there are white families and affluent/wealthy families due to its proximity to the lake and all, but the have to come to columbia city to do business, and they are VERY friendly. Plus, no matter what your background is, if you can afford it, you can move there, making a lot of pockets of seattle pretty well rounded racially.

I think it is just a little off the path from what you are looking for, due to the fact its about 10-15 drive, 25 min bus ride to dt, capitol hill. but there are things to do, and it doesnt take that long to get to those places. Plus we are the main thourofare for the new light rail opening in 2009! then travel will improve drasitically.

Im not gonna talk about politics, because everyone assumes one thing when only we know whats in our head in the voting booth. I will say the main thing about seattle is you can be whatever you want, and sure sides disagree, but its heatly and we have dialogue, unlike other major cities.

Im trying to think of other info to give you. I am only one persons opinion, but i was born and raised in seattle (the city), couple of burbs when younger. I suggest wiki and type in seattle neighborhoods and look up columbia city/rainier valley. it'll give you a start.

There are a host of other neighborhoods that would more than meet your needs some more close to downtown (it seems thats what you want.) Heres a partial list:

Columbia city!!!
Central District
First Hill
Beacon Hill
International District
Capitol Hill (upper and lower)
West Seattle
Fremont (maybe a little pricier)

We do have a lot of "hills" dont we (theres more!)

And remember, even though you want to live in the heart of the urban core, which for seattle is the communities around DT, most places are accessable in 30min or less. on a good traffic day, i have driven the length of the city in about 45 minutes and seen most things on the way. (seattle is hour glass shaped, so its longer N-S, instead of E-W because of the lake washington, and Elliott Bay. There are many hidden gems, that are affordable, in the so-called expensive communities................I say pick Seattle over Portland AAAAANNNNNYYYYYY day!

I know this is a long message, but good luck to you and i hope it helps. If you have any feed back about Houston or Atlanta, please share.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:17 PM

4,723 posts, read 13,928,583 times
That poster has "left the building" or rather- kicked out of the building according to our mod.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:22 PM

4,852 posts, read 9,000,179 times
Portland is very ignored. Most people will always mention L.A., S.F., and Seattle before Portland, if at all. There is a certain rivalry between Seattlites and Portlanders. It is the smallest city/metro on the West Coast and tends to get wrapped up in jealousy to Seattle and the California cities, most likely San Francisco. I heard that Oregonians and Washingtonians resent Californians and instantly think of sprawl when they see/hear the word "California."

California is the best in the West and the only habitable place in that region!

Old 11-01-2007, 07:26 PM

4,723 posts, read 13,928,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Portland is very ignored. Most people will always mention L.A., S.F., and Seattle before Portland, if at all. There is a certain rivalry between Seattlites and Portlanders. It is the smallest city/metro on the West Coast and tends to get wrapped up in jealousy to Seattle and the California cities, most likely San Francisco. I heard that Oregonians and Washingtonians resent Californians and instantly think of sprawl when they see/hear the word "California."

California is the best in the West and the only habitable place in that region!
WHAAAT? "only habitable place in that region" BALONEY (or is it Bologna?)

Old 11-01-2007, 07:37 PM

4,852 posts, read 9,000,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
WHAAAT? "only habitable place in that region" BALONEY (or is it Bologna?)
Outside of the West's great cities, San Francisco and Los Angeles (both in California BTW), it's just too hot. Leaving L.A., it's just desert. I like the consumer-friendly laws of California. The warning labels, the lowest price from the Weights and Measures department, and the letter-grades of restaurants' health inspections. Don't forget about the privacy laws. Read the privacy notice of the credit cards and see option 1 automatically filled in for California addresses. I didn't realize that the online county tax records didn't even include the name of the owner. In Texas, they removed the picture of the houses in July but still left the name of the owner.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:01 AM

5,372 posts, read 12,987,237 times
Being a Seattleite I know of no rivalry between Seattle and Portland because there is no rivalry. I catch Amtrak to Portland every once in a while and it is one impressive, beautiful city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or