U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2007, 09:40 AM

119 posts, read 778,328 times

Advertisements

I hate it here and am moving to Georgia in one week. I will make double down there than what I make here. I am in the legal field.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 11:50 AM

21,650 posts, read 30,282,039 times
I HATE living in Houston, it's too HOT and HUMID and too flat. We plan to move east Tenn, we want to be close the mountains, cooler weather and a place that has four seasons.

Old 05-27-2007, 12:23 PM

Location: Headed to the Shangri-La; The Orange County(Huntington Beach or Mission Viejo) this August!
78 posts, read 431,870 times
I like New England, but the problems lie in the people, pace of life, politics, and winters. The people are so downright cold, and unfriendly. The never smile or look you in the eyes. I found people in Southern California to be more open and appeared to be happier(even if it was "fake"). The people have poor manners, and don't care about anyone besides themselves. It's me vs. you... who will survive the winter out of the two of us? ..lol. It's like a competition. People in New England can not drive in traffic.. I found LA and O.C. to be much better. People here think that passing one car in heavy traffic will get them to their destination quicker. And that's all life's about here. Get there and do things quick.

The roads are narrow, winding and hard to drive on yet sometimes fun. They are NOT relaxing, and tailgaters are everywhere. You could be 100 miles from a major city and still have someone 3 feet from your tail.

People are so educated, but New England is such an un-motivating environment. The nicest town are not much different than the worst towns. (You'll find bigger houses, and more detailed landscaping.. that's mostly it.) Wellesely or Woburn.. it's all pretty much the same thing. Not many towns are unique.. it's all New England-style. No tudor, no french, no contemporary or your neighbors will have a fit.

People are OBESSESED with old stuff. Antique stores, and history.. I'm not at all. Not many people are fascinated by modern design--although we're apparently liberal-everyone likes the same furniture and dresses in the same clothes.

Where to? hmm.. Hilton Head, SC.. Naples, FL, Orange County, CA, or the beautiful Monterey Peninsula. I like those places much better. It feels more like vacation than the unmotivating New England rat race.

Last edited by fashionablecowboy; 05-27-2007 at 12:33 PM..

Old 05-27-2007, 04:21 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,734,160 times
Personally I believe that ALL OF US are either searching or have found that place we can call "HOME." Me...I'm still searching. Some people love the city life, others prefer the country/nature, and others like the burbs.

Ideally, I would love to live near the woods amongst nature as I LOVE the outdoors. But, you have to have a good job and a car and be willing to make the commute in to town for both work and housing goods. So that life wouldn't fit my present circumstances, especially since I'm a student trying to complete my professional degree.

I recommend California for the climate and culture. The weather here is beautiful and people are pretty much the same everywhere you go, there are good and bad apples and far "too many trees" lol...I'm getting metophorical here. Unfortunately, you NEED A HIGH INCOME to live in Cali. but everything is at your fingertips. You like to dance? Drink? Movies? Art? Opera? Symphony? There is something for everyone regardless of age and interests.

I'm struggling to decide between Portland and Houston for my future relocation. I hate to move around and it's difficult to learn a new city from scratch but sometimes you have no choice. I'm a believer that life comes down to careful planning and execution. You can't spend your life dreaming.

Old 05-27-2007, 05:40 PM

31 posts, read 170,699 times
Default I'm moving to the US!

I live in Vancouver, BC but I'm moving to Boston soon so I thought I'd put my two cents in (plus, every American I meet seems to go on and on about how much they LOOOOOVE Vancouver so I thought I'd give another viewpoint of it).

I HATE it here now. I was born here but it has changed so completely in the last 20 years as to be almost unrecognizable. We are very similiar to Seattle as far as our so-called "culture" goes as well as our weather and general "liberal" politics. We are the most politically correct place I have ever seen - it's pathetic, nobody has a real genuine opinion about anything because they are terrified of offending someone and this is reflected in our local politics. Check out the "safe injection site" in East Vancouver. Drug addiction is a HUGE problem there and what is their solution? Give the addicts somewhere to shoot up with free needles and "kit", medical staff standing by just in case they OD and a "twilight room" to chill in because they're too high to walk. Makes perfect sense to me.

As the person in Washington state said, if you are "outdoorsey" there are tons of things to do. I can't count how many times I've heard "Where else can you ski in the morning and then go to the beach in the afternoon?" Well - do people really DO that? LOL Why would you? If you're not into kayaking, mountain biking, skiing - oh sorry - all the "cool kids" snowboard now, excuse me - then all there is to do here is go eat at one of the many many overpriced snobbish restaurants with the transplanted Californian chefs and pretentious food. Or go drop thousands of dollars to go shopping on the 4 block long shopping "mecca" known as Robson Street (yes, there are really only about 4 blocks of shopping, I don't know why they make such a big deal out of it) And ooooh - Tiffany just opened a new store here - they practically gave us all the day off everyone was so excited about it!

Real estate: holy crap, half a million dollars for a 75 year old bungalow that needs to be completey renovated? $300,000 for a 400 square foot closet downtown? It's insane and will only get worse as the Olympics come closer and closer. If you're not rich you can pretty much forget about ever owning your own home here.

Essentially Vancouver is desperately trying to prove that it is a "WORLD CLASS CITY". Being "cool" is the most important thing here. Whether it is the right car, watch with the most "bling" or taking part in the newest exercise fad (yoga? oh wait, I think it's "strippercise" now isn't it? I'm so behind the times!), you better be cutting edge or you are NOTHING. It feels as though everyone here just begs to be taken seriously for that and I don't get it. There is no CHARACTER anymore. There is no typical "Vancouverite" anymore. We are a city of transients and immigrants with no identity other than "WE ARE NOT AMERICAN".

WHY we are named "best place to live" over and over and over again I have no idea! It must be from people who don't live here........

Old 05-27-2007, 05:59 PM

18,659 posts, read 27,113,557 times
I moved from Texas to NOVA back in 2005. I want to get out of here. Nothing against this area, but it's not for me. I really like the Chicago area and the Houston area. But I don't care for this area particularly the Virginia part. Maryland is alright OUTSIDE the beltway but they can have NOVA. Although I love Texas,I don't really don't see myself going back for a while. I like the snow (especially) and the seasons.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:05 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,396,709 times
Thumbs up Miami!

I find myself consistantly saying (while driving no less ) how I love it here! I don't think I would ever move. Travel, yes. Maybe spend summers in the AZ desert, but move? NO WAY JOSE! I LOVE MIAMI!!!

Old 05-28-2007, 10:13 AM

1,158 posts, read 3,376,854 times
One big problem Vancouver BC has had recently is faulty construction in condo buildings. They threw them up so fast to try to match the demand that when it rains the water has gotten into the walls and caused structural and environmental problems for the residents. These are pricey condos, too.

On the "safe injection" thing, when they did something like that in Scandinavia a few years ago (I think it might have been Denmark, maybe Sweden), it only resulted in so-called "needle parks" and those parks became unsafe for the rest of the population. You would have people openly shooting up heroin in the parks. Like you really want your kids to see that or even look at it yourself.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:17 AM

4,610 posts, read 10,212,142 times
You asked "Do you like where you live?". My answer is NO!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-28-2007, 10:31 AM

556 posts, read 1,939,224 times
Smile Right there with ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
You asked "Do you like where you live?". My answer is NO!!!!!!!!!!
I totally agree about where I live, which is in Western Washington. I can see the good points and bad points, and I try to tell all the folks who visit this site both sides, because this place will be perfect for some folks. It just isn't perfect for me; it isn't even close!

I agree that many of us are looking for that "right" place for us. Some of us, like me, are still looking because we have a spouse whose opinion has to be considered as well. When your spouse loves the place you currently live and you hate it but you have a great marriage otherwise, it really makes things difficult. That's when I say, "Well, the Good Master is trying to teach me patience, and the sooner I learn it, the sooner things will straighten out for me."

So, in the spirit of patience, I wait and try to help the rest of you folks with whatever small knowledge I have of certain areas of the country, meaning the Pacific NW and the South. These two areas I KNOW and will share the good and the bad with anyone who asks to help with the decision-making process.

I hope you all have a wonderful Memorial Day, and to all you in the military, both past and present, God bless you all! You have my sincerest gratitude!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or