U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 10:38 AM

6,488 posts, read 16,159,395 times

Advertisements

I love the area (not so much the town specifically) that I live in. I moved here just 3 years ago, but it feels like home to me. When I travel and people ask "Where from?" I say New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 05:12 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,189,869 times
If these people with Perennial Grim Reaper Syndrome would only cheer up just a little sometimes, I wouldn't mind living here so much (NE Phila suburbs, family reasons.) But if they're miserable and hate their jobs, lives, and futile sports teams, apparently, you should as well.

Loved living in Chicago, NC, & Florida. Weather's not even a factor when the vast majority of people are pleasant -- despite chronic heat & humidity, (seemingly) endless winters -- and even the CUBS!!

Last edited by Travel'r; 05-28-2007 at 05:22 PM..

Old 05-28-2007, 05:39 PM

23,642 posts, read 33,439,851 times
I live in Alexandria, VA. has good things like my neighborhood, but i want to get the hell out of the DC area. North Carolina or Hampton Roads are my likely destinations.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:10 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,020,271 times
We live in Manhattan, and I love so much about it, but we hope to find a vibrant college town somewhere to relocate to. Surprisingly, Manhattan is very child-friendly, and there are an endless array of activities for families to choose from. There are many great public and private schools and in so many ways, I think it's a wonderful environment to raise children in. However, we look forward to one day having a house with an inground pool in the yard. I think everyone should have the opportunity to live in NYC at least once in their lifetime And you won't believe it, but people are actually very friendly.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:14 PM

304 posts, read 1,303,058 times
I live in the suburbs of Atlanta, GA right now; been here about 18 mos. It is very scenic here in this part of the country with the rolling land, and there are a lot of beautiful trees. I really feel indifferent about living here though. To me, when you have seen one suburb, you have seen them all. My spouse doesn't like it here at all. When we moved here we only saw it as someplace we will stay about 5 years; more of a stepping stone to get back to the eastern half of the US after living in Boise, ID. I'm not sure where we will head to next. We both grew up moving around the country, so it isn't such a big deal to go somewhere new. We know we will never find that "perfect" place, and that's fine.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:09 PM

527 posts, read 1,685,827 times
I used to live in Miami and HATED IT!!

Now I live in Atlanta and I love it!!! If I wanted to move where would I go....hmmm I think I would like TN it is beautiful, but a little slower in pace then Atlanta.

That is just fine with me!

Old 05-28-2007, 09:26 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,393,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
We live in Manhattan, and I love so much about it, but we hope to find a vibrant college town somewhere to relocate to. Surprisingly, Manhattan is very child-friendly, and there are an endless array of activities for families to choose from. There are many great public and private schools and in so many ways, I think it's a wonderful environment to raise children in. However, we look forward to one day having a house with an inground pool in the yard. I think everyone should have the opportunity to live in NYC at least once in their lifetime And you won't believe it, but people are actually very friendly.
You got that right! Lived in Manhattan from 8-18 & wouldn't change/have changed it for the world!
(Born in Brooklyn, Queens from 1-8)
I feel truly "blessed".

Old 05-28-2007, 10:27 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,720,963 times
I currently live in Tempe, AZ (Phoenix area). I am sick of the relentless heat and skin burning UV rays, the rednecks and lowlifers everywhere, the stupidity of the general population, the pollution, and the sheer boredom of the metro area. I enjoy the youthful vibe in Tempe, the climate in the winter, proximity to desert hiking (when it's not burning hot outside), and other SW destinations. After I graduate ASU, I doubt I'll be sticking around though. The question is where?

For a long time I was thinking about moving to Las Vegas. Problem with Vegas, is that unless if you are living in Summerlin or a comparable upscale community, which is extremely expensive if you haven't already bought property there 5+ years ago, you'll be living with rednecks, trashy people, packed in, paying overinflated prices just for the "Vegas" address-- worse than PHX. Phoenix actually looks good compared to the crappy subdivisions they are building in the outskirts of Vegas (pretty soon the entire Vegas valley will be completely built out. Future growth will take place in outlying podunk towns like Pahrump).

Then I was thinking I should move back to Denver, which I'm now having second thoughts about. Denver is an excellent place to grow up, and a great place to settle down when you are ready to start a family, and there is a small but vibrant scene of 20s/30s somethings, rich yuppies. But it seems to have very little to offer to people in their early twenties who are just starting out their careers, moving out of the house, but don't have a whole lot of money or desire to live the LoDo/ new urbanist lifestyle. Sure, I could afford to live in central Aurora **shudder**, but if I'm going to live among poor high school dropouts whose only form of entertainment is beer pong, in declining suburban apartment complexes, I'd rather at least do it in Phoenix or Vegas, not in Aurora. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places, but everytime I go back home, it seems like pretty much everybody I know from high school has gone their own separate ways. I now feel like a stranger in my own home town.

So where should I go? Another smaller city in the intermountain west I haven't tried yet? California? Seattle? Or am I too focused on the western US? Maybe somewhere in the midwest has what I'm looking for? or the Northeast? I don't know, I'm confused. That's why I like this forum so much, to get ideas.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:23 PM

2,072 posts, read 11,081,601 times
I love Long Beach, California. Take a walk, meet people and they smile and talk to you. It's the best.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:41 PM

30,326 posts, read 16,826,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
I love Long Beach, California. Take a walk, meet people and they smile and talk to you. It's the best.
Even though I don't actually live in Long Beach, I live in one of the cities bordering it. And yes, I like where I live. I go on walks in my neighborhood and my neighbors are actually friendly enough to say "hello" to me, even though we don't know each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or