U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 03:05 AM

13,888 posts, read 25,327,549 times

Advertisements

I live outside Minneapolis and I can't wait to move. The weather is horrible and it's just too cold for too long. The yard work, raking, shoveling, and weather related traffic problems eat up a lot of spare time that I would rather spend doing almost anything else. Sometimes they measure the sunshine per month in hours.

People who hunt and fish love it here. The economy is pretty good. The people are nice but I can't wait to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 07:35 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,397,236 times
I moved to SC and love it here! People on here are probably tired of hearing me say it but the weather is great and everyone is so nice! I really can't find anything to complain about and I have felt much more relaxed and happier since moving to SC.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:57 AM

4,723 posts, read 13,923,947 times
Great thread,I guess it goes to show,one mans heavan is another mans hell

Old 05-29-2007, 08:36 AM

5,641 posts, read 17,315,387 times
Really like my town / area in IL: Fox river valley area. Don't like my immediate neighbors much.

And definitely don't like the high IL taxes: gas and property taxes and don't like the governor.

IL winters stink because there is hardly any snow for long periods, just REALLY cold and you just get cooped up indoors having no winter activities because no snow. Lots of freezing and thawing. Rest of the year is good for weather though.

We may cash out and move when we retire. Depends on what our kids end up doing.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:46 AM

556 posts, read 1,938,056 times
Smile So happy for you, honey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I moved to SC and love it here! People on here are probably tired of hearing me say it but the weather is great and everyone is so nice! I really can't find anything to complain about and I have felt much more relaxed and happier since moving to SC.
Lord, I wish my husband felt the way you do, honey. I want to move back home to SC soooo bad. Just cannot convince my husband. Who cares about the hot temperatures when you have such nice people (and for me, family!).

Hope you have a great summer, and think of old brightcopperkettles sitting up here in the Pacific NW, working, working, working, and longing to be back home in SC.....

Old 05-29-2007, 09:31 AM

13 posts, read 57,594 times
I'm currently in Sacramento, CA. and I hate it here!

I'm a San Francisco native & thought that moving to Sacramento would be good for my family. The lower cost of living & somewhat close proximity to the Bay Area were key selling points. Plus, I have family in Sac.

On paper everything about Sacramento looks great! There's a lot of diversity, good school systems, pretty good weather. But in reality...there is a lot of diversity, but not that much culture. I'm sure I was just spoiled in that dept. living in SF. But I still thought that the cultural scene would be thriving more than it is here. The schools are ok for the most part, but I hate the on and off track thing. There also seems to be a lot of crime here. Our car window has been broken out, our home was robbed here & in general ... it seems as though there is a lot of random crime here. Mostly theft. I also don't like that a lot of people won't even run to the store or something if it's too late b/c they're afraid of the type of people thay might run into.

Sorry to knock Sac, it's just NOT for us.

We are currently trying to decide where our next move will be. As much as we ADORE the Bay Area, the cost of living is just so outrageous that it won't allow us to raise our family the way we want to.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:01 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,397,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightcopperkettles View Post
Lord, I wish my husband felt the way you do, honey. I want to move back home to SC soooo bad. Just cannot convince my husband. Who cares about the hot temperatures when you have such nice people (and for me, family!).

Hope you have a great summer, and think of old brightcopperkettles sitting up here in the Pacific NW, working, working, working, and longing to be back home in SC.....
Thank you! I have to say though, I wanted to move to Seattle for years but never made it there. Has your husband been here? I've been here since January, so that's six months and the weather has been fantastic. I realize it's going to get really hot for a couple months but that's what air conditioning is for.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:30 PM

556 posts, read 1,938,056 times
Yes, he's been there; we were there just this last Christmas. I was so excited because the only other times he had been there had been in May, and it is danged hot even in May. Well, I just knew that once he saw what the weather was like at Christmas time, he would know why I love it.

Well, can you believe? It was in the seventies the whole time I was there! The whole time! He thinks the South is ALWAYS HOT! I was so upset I could have just cried....oh, wait a minute, I DID!

He honestly does not have a clue what the South is really like. I just makes me want to cry, and believe me, I have done that multiple times (probably didn't help that it was overcast/raining up here in WA!).

You enjoy the people, the sunshine, and the food, honey, and remember me once in a while now, you hear?

Old 05-30-2007, 11:33 AM

1,524 posts, read 3,460,013 times
I live in Indianapolis. It isn't particularly memorable, but fine and cheap enough to raise a family in. The major non-negotiable for me about here is that there is no major body of water nearby. I am talking about on the scale of a Great Lake or ocean and by nearby, I mean right on it. So, I am moving in the winter away. I don't hate Indy, but I sure as heck don't love it either. Indy doesn't inspire much in the way of feelings in me. It just is what it is.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:57 AM

42 posts, read 56,260 times
I have lived all over within the past five years, and I figure I will just give a quick rundown on what I think of the places in which I have lived, and the place I currently live.

Missoula, Mont.
For some reason it's considered to be a very beautiful city, however, I somewhat disagree. I do find the river that runs through the city to be quite nice, but the city itself is really rather ugly. The hills that surround it are all brown and ugly during the summer. The people are horrible. It is completely full of rednecks driving trucks and acting like idiots. There is NO culture to speak of, and hardly any good food, unless you like to eat burgers every night. It's a college town, so that aspect of it is nice. There's really very little that I can say about Missoula that is good.

Phoenix, AZ:
Only lived here for a year, and disliked almost every single day. Everything is spread out, and downtown area is completely dead. Tempe was nice, with ASU and good bars, but that's about it. It's amazing to me that this is a big city, there's nothing going on there.

Fresno, CA: By far the worst city I have ever lived in. A ridiculous amount of crime, urban sprawl, no downtown to speak of, horrible shopping malls, arrogant people, conservative, drug problems, absolutely ugly as hell, too hot in the summer, and absolutely the most boring place I have lived. I'm not kidding, Missoula had more going on than this place. The poor kids in Fresno are just dying from boredom. On the weekends they all go out and cruise, that is all there is to do. The music scene is horrible too. The one good aspect of Fresno is the amount of culture here. Some of the best Asian food I have had was in Fresno -- same goes for Mexican food. Unless you're trying to punish yourself, never move to Fresno.

Where I live now, Portland, OR, is easily the best place in this country to live for me (no offense to anyone, I am only saying this for me). It's much more beautiful than Missoula, has far less crime than Fresno, and has a lot more going on than Phoenix. I walk around downtown and feel completely alive. The city is so amazingly green, and the people are beyond friendly. Save the weather, there is nothing bad about Portland. However, the rain can be quite tiring. It does get old having three months of constant gloom and rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or