Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:35 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nene87 View Post
I am relocating soon and I would like everyones opinion on which city is better to them as far as the jobs, rent, schooling, crime, cost of living etc.

Alot of people are moving to Cedar Rapids,Iowa and Minneapolis,Minnesota because the cost of living is cheap they got nice schools, clean air its the city and in Minneapolis you dont pay taxes on certain things plus they have really nice government programs.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Chicago, Illionis
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Indianapolis,Indiana
Hammond, Indiana
Hammond Indiana is a low cost of living suburb of Chicago. Its not the best suburb or the worst its just *ok* but you need to be cautious on the area if you choose Hammond.
Indianapolis is the most centralized of those cities. It has the lowest cost of living of any major US City and is a 3 hour drive from Chicago/Lake Michigan and is host to many major sporting events and conventions. Super Bowl 46 was played in Indianapolis . Also its the fastest growing city/metro in the midwest.
To give you an idea how great the location is heres some drive times to neighboring cities via the interstates.
3 hours to Chicago/Louisville take I-65. 2.5 hours to get to Cincy I-74.
4 hours to St Louis and Columbus Ohio. 2 Hours to Fort Wayne IN and Dayton Ohio and soon I-69 will be extended to Evansville Indiana so you can visit the caves and hills of Southern Indiana
Population wise Indianapolis as a city is the 11th largest in the US and the metro is home to 2,000,000 people. My best pick for is the extremely affordable cost of real estate and the 1% capped property taxes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 07:49 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
What awesome advice for how to LEAVE Indy!

Old 02-09-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
What awesome advice for how to LEAVE Indy!
For Vacation yes.
But then again have you visited the city?

Old 02-09-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
For Vacation yes.
But then again have you visited the city?
Just driven through it, and I'm not knocking it, I'm just demonstrating that it's odd to gloat about how close OTHER places are to your city as some kind of reason to LIVE IN your city.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Just driven through it, and I'm not knocking it, I'm just demonstrating that it's odd to gloat about how close OTHER places are to your city as some kind of reason to LIVE IN your city.

I am highlighting it as an advantage.
In Minneapolis after you have done all the amendities the local city has to offer where do you go to kick back and try something new?
Lake Michigan is far away and the nearest big metro is Milwaukee and thats a 5 hour+ drive. (Estimating cause i haven't done it)
Indianapolis once you have been around and done all the things the city has to offer you have 5+ choices. Louisville/Chicago/Cincy/St Louis/Dayton and Columbus and even Fort Wayne for a day.
I like variety for a reason and heck a 3 hour drive to lake michigan isn't to bad
plus Indy has an international airport of course so if i want to pay for airline tickets you could do that too.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I am highlighting it as an advantage.
In Minneapolis after you have done all the amendities the local city has to offer where do you go to kick back and try something new?
Lake Michigan is far away and the nearest big metro is Milwaukee and thats a 5 hour+ drive. (Estimating cause i haven't done it)
Indianapolis once you have been around and done all the things the city has to offer you have 5+ choices. Louisville/Chicago/Cincy/St Louis/Dayton and Columbus and even Fort Wayne for a day.
I like variety for a reason and heck a 3 hour drive to lake michigan isn't to bad
plus Indy has an international airport of course so if i want to pay for airline tickets you could do that too.
....and Lake Superior is closer to Minneapolis than Indy is to Chicago. Learn your geography. Also, the Northwoods (Wisconsin, Minnesota, or the UP of Michigan) are closer to Minneapolis than they are to Chicago, let alone Indy. Half my family is in Chicago and it's an easy haul from Minneapolis (but not as easy as 3 hrs would be). Minneapolis has an international airport too (a REAL int'l airport that actually flies across the Atlantic and Pacific oceans), so that's a non-factor for Indy.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
....and Lake Superior is closer to Minneapolis than Indy is to Chicago. Learn your geography. Also, the Northwoods are closer to Minneapolis than they are to Chicago, let alone Indy (Wisconsin, Minnesota, or the UP of Michigan). Half my family is in Chicago and it's an easy haul from Minneapolis (but not as easy as 3 hrs would be).
Lake Superior is also much colder.
idk about you but i am not swimming in 50 degree water.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:22 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Downtown Indy is actually really cool
It is a nice location if you want to take a weekend or maybe day trip too a nearby city

Old 02-09-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Downtown Indy is actually really cool
It is a nice location if you want to take a weekend or maybe day trip too a nearby city
Exactly and as the Media Said during Super Bowl 46 its all compact and in Downtown. You don't need to play leap frog across the metro to get to the places you want to go.
Childrens Museum and Indianapolis Museum of Art are just north of downtown but are not to much of a drive.
Plus the Central Canal is a nice place to enjoy the summer at or paddleboat down the canal. Now thats fun and cool

Old 02-09-2012, 08:43 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Exactly and as the Media Said during Super Bowl 46 its all compact and in Downtown. You don't need to play leap frog across the metro to get to the places you want to go.
Childrens Museum and Indianapolis Museum of Art are just north of downtown but are not to much of a drive.
Yea i like that, plus the airport is pretty close. Like its crazy how in Miami all the people go down to South Beach but they have to go way up 95 to get to the game.

Quote:
Plus the Central Canal is a nice place to enjoy the summer at or paddleboat down the canal. Now thats fun and cool
Just googled it seems pretty nice!
Isnt Indianapolis the city with the most Musuems within its city limits? or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.